what are you watching today?

red

Oh  yeah and these:

tumblr_mpty02rffM1qz8vumo8_500.jpg

good ol' larry david! was pretty funny all around.

like a really long episode of Curb (i prefer the show)

some of the actors were underutilized but overall if you love curb you should think its funny

Agree

MSxZnTZ.jpg

This was not bad.

Really funny but all in all just a terrible movie.

I thought it was excellent. At first blush I can't call it one of my favorites, but that just means I have to rewatch it sometime in the future. What do you like so much about the movie?

Well I guess it was my first taste of Lynch 6 or 7 years ago so its probably always going to be special in that sense and Lynch is definitely one of my most loved directors. 

In terms of specifics I think Blue Velvet examines that "dark undercurrent in the picturesque all american town" in an almost pitch perfect way, and its a theme that is super recurrent in almost all of Lynch's work. It also seemingly blends some really polarizing qualities in an effortless way, its visuals are really striking (like in all his work) and its dark and seedy, and very "lynchian" in a classical sense, but then there is also that really melodramatic mid day tv vibe, camera lens dripping with vaseline etc etc, as well as some genuinely funny moments!

Edited by jackg

Well I guess it was my first taste of Lynch 6 or 7 years ago so its probably always going to be special in that sense and Lynch is definitely one of my most loved directors. 

In terms of specifics I think Blue Velvet examines that "dark undercurrent in the picturesque all american town" in an almost pitch perfect way, and its a theme that is super recurrent in almost all of Lynch's work. It also seemingly blends some really polarizing qualities in an effortless way, its visuals are really striking (like in all his work) and its dark and seedy, and very "lynchian" in a classical sense, but then there is also that really melodramatic mid day tv vibe, camera lens dripping with vaseline etc etc, as well as some genuinely funny moments!

Tried to watch it on the Sundance Channel the other night, got to the Dennis Hopper scene and was like "fuck this I'm out" because I needed to go to bed anyway and just couldn't deal. It was one of the first movies made in my hometown so seeing what everything looked like in the mid-80's was probably the most interesting thing about it. Definitely need to devote some time and attention to a proper viewing.

Also Jackg I'd love to get an Australian perspective on Gallipoli. Do you like it? How famous is it there? I'm curious to know if it's like beloved or dismissed due to its overtly Nationalist themes (really liked it btw.)

The Believer:

3FV3vFI.jpg

^ do it! Definitely worth your time. 

Gallipoli is certainly front and center in the Australian film cannon. Most people watch it at school, and its stalwart of Australian film classes at uni, I did my major assignment in an undergrad aus film class on Weir. Even though its so overtly nationalistic its on of those events that for whatever really defines the "aussie" spirit, so its pretty much generally held that if you're Australian you like it.

Personally I think its fantastic, and it was one of those films that really grew on me. Weir is a genius if haven't seen Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Cars That Paris and The Last Wave I highly recommend all of them. His ability to create a really dreamy kinda out of this world vibe in his earlier works is fantastic. Not such a fan of his more recent ventures. 

Plus with Jarre doing your soundtrack you cant lose!