what are you watching today?

red

saw the whole grindhouse feature at the prince charles cinema a few days ago. three hours of gore, violence and half naked girls. one of the best fivers I've ever spent. everyone erupted into applause at the end of deathproof. the entire theatre had a great party vibe.

i hear they're actually going to make machete, awesome.

Looking forward to this glad I waited for the full feature

Prince Charles is an awesome cinema too

Watched this today

persepolis.jpg

Guest jmatsu
enjoyed this little gem last night.

51HOjmQJISL._SS500_.jpg

draws a lot of comparisons from american history x, thought it's really good movie on its own.

don't see why you'd want to compare the two. while ed norton is a good actor, the writer/producers of american history x seemed to not understand skinhead culture: nationalist,supremecist nor trad in the slightest. by your irrational and typical comparison of both the films, it is obvious that you do not either.

don't see why you'd want to compare the two. while ed norton is a good actor, the writer/producers of american history x seemed to not understand skinhead culture: nationalist,supremecist nor trad in the slightest. by your irrational and typical comparison of both the films, it is obvious that you do not either.

Alright well you're right, I don't know a lot about skinhead culture, it's not really a topic I'm very interested in. What I was saying is that the stories are similar. I wasn't claiming that I knew anything about the culture. They had comparable stories. That's all.

I don't think the two film compare, even on the story. Maybe about the baldness of the racist one... But "This is England" is a really great movie (though i didn't understand some of their english slang), and "American History X" is only worth watching if you like E.Norton.

I don't think the two film compare, even on the story. Maybe about the baldness of the racist one... But "This is England" is a really great movie (though i didn't understand some of their english slang), and "American History X" is only worth watching if you like E.Norton.

thematically the films are similar.

‘american history x’ contrasts two father figures in a similar manner to ‘this is england’. the fatherless boys at the centre of both stories are torn between these two figures, with each representing alternative ideologies - effectively, racist or not. both follow the path of the white supremacists - as a direct result of the father figure that they look up to - as they feel alienated and isolated, and are drawn by this charismatic figure, the safety of 'belonging', and the protection of numbers. both eventually come to the realisation that the beliefs are unjust, as a result of the contradictions evident in the figure that once attracted them.

both films provide no real opposition to the white supremacist ideology they initially present attractively, and merely dismiss it by constructing those characters that embody supremacist ideologies as stupid/psychotic/irrational beings. i think this is the key failure in both, although ‘this is england’ is clearly a superior film.

Guest jmatsu
thematically the films are similar.

‘american history x’ contrasts two father figures in a similar manner to ‘this is england’. the fatherless boys at the centre of both stories are torn between these two figures, with each representing alternative ideologies - effectively, racist or not. both follow the path of the white supremacists - as a direct result of the father figure that they look up to - as they feel alienated and isolated, and are drawn by this charismatic figure, the safety of 'belonging', and the protection of numbers. both eventually come to the realisation that the beliefs are unjust, as a result of the contradictions evident in the figure that once attracted them.

both films provide no real opposition to the white supremacist ideology they initially present attractively, and merely dismiss it by constructing those characters that embody supremacist ideologies as stupid/psychotic/irrational beings. i think this is the key failure in both, although ‘this is england’ is clearly a superior film.

oh goodie! golly gee, thanks! that was sooo profound. now print this out cause your homeworks' due.