Any watch enthusiasts out there?

Analyst

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Quote:

I'm all over panerais lately...something about that watch just calls out to me..unlike a lot of other watches..paneristi.com is a great site as is timezone.com

I'm thinking about getting either a PAM 113 or the PAM 112 pretty soon..

any thoughts on these, panerai owners?

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Nov 7, 2005 10:02 AM

If you have already narrowed down your selection between 112 and 113, I'd say a 112. There are more demand for the black dial in case of you selling the watch in the future. And I think the black dial just look so much better. With the exception of PAM 188 compared to 196 of course.

However, if you are still open to any ideas, I'd say get a 111 or a 005 logo. Because in my case, I'd need a second hand.

--- Original message by eodlover on Nov 7, 2005 07:25 PM

Hmm..I hear ya..I know a lot of ppl favour the black dial but I'm kinda feeling the white dial only because I've been living w/ a black-dialed watch for the past 5 years and also, i figure the white dial's more versatile with the different straps..

Plus, the white dial's not as common...

All that being said, the 111's definitely a possibility as well because like you, i want a second hand...

decisions, decisions....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm all over panerais lately...something about that watch just calls out to me..unlike a lot of other watches..paneristi.com is a great site as is timezone.com

If you have already narrowed down your selection between 112 and 113, I'd say a 112. There are more demand for the black dial in case of you selling the watch in the future. And I think the black dial just look so much better. With the exception of PAM 188 compared to 196 of course.

However, if you are still open to any ideas, I'd say get a 111 or a 005 logo. Because in my case, I'd need a second hand.

Hmm..I hear ya..I know a lot of ppl favour the black dial but I'm kinda feeling the white dial only because I've been living w/ a black-dialed watch for the past 5 years and also, i figure the white dial's more versatile with the different straps..

All that being said, the 111's definitely a possibility as well because like you, i want a second hand...

decisions, decisions....

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Nov 7, 2005 09:37 PM

Yes, however (no offense) I think the white dial PAMs are more popular with the wive's club of Paneristi members.

Lots of the guys got their wives a white PAM because it's easier to match with feminine colors such as light blue, pink, yellow straps.

But then again, these are just my opinion, the decision is still yours:-)

F*ck Fashion

since there seems to be a bunch of knowlegable watch enthusiasts here... what do you think of the brand TUDOR?

the sales guy was saying that its the brother company of ROLEX - made at the same factory and all... only difference is that the movement is not made in house. Is that true? Would the movement alone be worth an average markup between similar models of 5X? (for example - comparing similar submariner models).

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

decisions, decisions....

--- Original message by triniboy27 on Nov 7, 2005 09:37 PM

Yes, however (no offense) I think the white dial PAMs are more popular with the wive's club of Paneristi members.

Lots of the guys got their wives a white PAM because it's easier to match with feminine colors such as light blue, pink, yellow straps.

But then again, these are just my opinion, the decision is still yours:-)

--- Original message by eodlover on Nov 7, 2005 11:43 PM

damn you! now, i'm starting to swing towards the 111 now.....

LOL

I gotta go back to my AD and see if it's available there now....

Now the IWC Big Pilot is something of a watch. It's five figure retail tag is due to the fact it's actually sporting a REAL movement. IWC's proprietary pellaton movement. 7 day power reserve on the dial. Nice watch.

Chunky watches have been en vogue for the last few years and now everyone is now making watches over 40mm is take back some market share. Cartier came out with their oversized Santos and 42mm Pasha. AP came out with their Terminator Royal Oak Offshore at 57mm. IWC came out with the new Portugeuse that's 41 or 42mm. Personally, I think the top sport watch is the AP Royal Oak Offshore black dial and rubberclad. Still waiting for one to pop up with some dealers here in SE Asia.

Panerai is so hot that you have to get on a waiting list here in BKK for any of the 44mm watches.

The only ones stocked at the 40mm watches. Same in Singapore too. Don't know about HK, which has a Panerai Boutique. A few months ago, AD's in Washington DC still had about 5-6 in their shops. Wempe and Cellini in NYC is also well stocked. But in Asia, all AD's are cleaned out. They really love their watches here :)

Don't get me wrong Tag makes nice watches but I always think about them as Duty Free Watches. You can always find Tag, Omega, Gucci and Seiko among the Duty Free section of any airport. A lot of quartz and a few automatics. Different from going to a dealer and seeing the JLC, IWC, Langes, and others in the shop. Plus the guy behind the counter is/should be completely knowledgable about every minute detail of the watch.

IMHO, buying a watch should be an experience. You do your research and you find they watch that is exactly for you. And you absolutely love the watch. Finding the right dealer is also necessary. Torneau is full of annoying sales people who dont know watches and work only on commission. ONce they sense that you're not going to buy, they completely blow you off. I despise everything about that store. Some at Wempe on 5th are very nice and helpful. When I purchased an IWC Classic Pilot Chrono from an AD in NYC, the also threw in an IWC edition leather Underwood winder. And now, when I drop into the store, we chat for 15-20 minutes and he always gives me 2-3 of the latest watch magazine for the flight home. I'm far from being able to purchase the APs, Langes, VCs and Pateks, but I'm going to stick with this dealer when the time comes.

The Tag Carrera Chrono on strap is nice and decently priced. If you love it then pick it up. If you're luke warm about it then keep looking. You'll know when you find YOUR watch (es). Good Luck.

^^^^^

I could not agree more, particularly about knowing when you've found your watch.

I've got a buddy who manages a high-end jewellery store that carries IWC, Jaeger, etc and he's always set me right anytime I've felt like straying off the quality watch path and leaning towards fashion watches like the Cartier Roadster Chrono, etc.

When I told him I wanted a Panerai, he didn't really approve of that choice either (thinks it's a Hollywood watch and that there's better out there) but on this one, I'm going to have to disagree with him solely because THIS is the watch that calls out to me.

I recognise that for the price I pay for a Panerai, I could probably get more watch for the money. But I guess like cars, it's not just what's under the hood that counts. It's the visual appeal as well. And I've looked at a hella lot of watches over the years and the Panerai Luminor Marinas are the only ones that I can see myself buying now and still wearing 10-15 years from now..(which is how I'm justifying the purchase...amortizing it over 20 years! LOL)

As for the Carrera, I also agree that it's nice and decently priced..the Carrera, Monza and Monaco are the only Tags I'd ever consider getting because they're not the typical Tags you see on everyone these days.

Trini,

Excellent points. It's funny. Panerai really resonates with me too. I've been eyeing the PAM 25 and 199 Submersibles for a long time. The new PAM 222 Regatta for this year also looks nice. I like the Power Reserve on the hobnail. I think I'm going to have to pick one soon....

A friend back in DC has an old automatic Heuer that looks great. It's a black automatic chrono on black strap and has the crown on the left side instead of the right. Cool vintage piece before they became Tag Heuer.

Anyone else like the old Tag Link watch before they came out with the new Link?

The thing about watches is, they are a great investment. Some people prefer to spend 50K on a platinum lange, rather than 50k on a new car. To blow that much cash though, you have to REALLY like the watch.

When it comes to buying a watch, buy what you like. If you don't all that money is going to be a wasted.

Check this Omega out for a watch in a lower price range

I liked it because the dial was so unique.....you see the standard tri-dial chrono's everywhere,

but this dial is pretty unique.

484730315nb.jpg

Depht...

Edited by DEPHT on Nov 8, 2005 at 10:20 PM

WOW that's such a nice Omega!! How much is it? How come I can't find it anywhere?

If I were to get a TAG, I'd get a vintage Heuer, before TAG came into the picture. They're much nicer,... Monaco, Montreal, Monza, Carrera, Calculator, Autavia. And if you could get the PVD ones, they're just awesome!!! The upcoming TAG HEUER Monaco V2 on the other hand, is something else.

triniboy27 : PAM 111 all the way bro!

Edited by superposition on Nov 8, 2005 at 10:43 PM

Sinn's are solid watches. They are really nice for the money, and a lot of watch purists buy a sinn as an "everyday watch"......so they don't bang up thier patek/lange, etc.

Some great watches:

Breitling Chrono Superocean

8002705fa.jpg

Breguet Platinum Skeleton Tourbillon.......very nice, very expensive

491478923sp.jpg

Honestly, I think the best (excluding the extremely high end watches) chronograph

is the Breguet Flyback.....and it is recognized as one of the best.

(a wider view)

dscn17213mi.jpg

Depht...

Edited by DEPHT on Nov 9, 2005 at 02:20 PM

SINN is dope, but i've read that Bell & Ross does not keep very good time, and from what I can recall they share similar movements (essentially the same brand).

Personally I would go with Lange and AP, but since they are outside of my means I have Rolex Datejust, IWC Spitfire Chronograph, IWC Pilot Chronograph, a trusty Omega Speedmaster, a junky Movado, a few G-Shocks, and a Spoon watch. Once I figure out how to post pics I'll revisit this thread.

-pete

Quote:

SINN is dope, but i've read that Bell & Ross does not keep very good time, and from what I can recall they share similar movements (essentially the same brand).

Personally I would go with Lange and AP, but since they are outside of my means I have Rolex Datejust, IWC Spitfire Chronograph, IWC Pilot Chronograph, a trusty Omega Speedmaster, a junky Movado, a few G-Shocks, and a Spoon watch. Once I figure out how to post pics I'll revisit this thread.

-pete

--- Original message by starvinglawstudent on Nov 9, 2005 04:11 PM

"I have Rolex Datejust, IWC Spitfire Chronograph, IWC Pilot Chronograph, a trusty Omega Speedmaster, a junky Movado, a few G-Shocks, and a Spoon watch."

No wonder you're starving...icon_smile_tongue.gif

LOL

nice collection...especially the IWCs...

Quote:

The thing about watches is, they are a great investment. Some people prefer to spend 50K on a platinum lange, rather than 50k on a new car. To blow that much cash though, you have to REALLY like the watch.

When it comes to buying a watch, buy what you like. If you don't all that money is going to be a wasted.

Check this Omega out for a watch in a lower price range

I liked it because the dial was so unique.....you see the standard tri-dial chrono's everywhere,

but this dial is pretty unique.

484730315nb.jpg

--- Original message by DEPHT on Nov 8, 2005 10:20 PM

thats a nice omega - they're going for HKD 64,500 (~USD 8,325)... ouch.

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.