Any watch enthusiasts out there?

Analyst

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

i have a franck muller conquistador.. i love it, however wanna get something more sporty for everyday wear. Not sure on the J12's since every1 i know has one. was thinking more along the lines of an AP royal oak or a hublot big bang. Does anyone else have any reccommendations along those lines?

Quote:

All of the idio:synchro watches are nice - it's hard to decide which I like best.

The designs are cool. They really stand apart from most of these watches and make a unique statement.

idiosynchro_watches.jpg

http://www.idiosynchro.com

--- Original message by eyeball kid on Jan 25, 2006 09:21 AM

chances you don't own this or work for this joint....

slim to none, admitedly, not bad, kind of like a swatch knockoff though.

tons of stuff for sale now on ebay: corpus, Rag & Bone, Helmut Lang, levi's premium, Gap, vintage etc.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

I've been rockin my dad's 77' seiko automatic divers watch, the 6309 lately.

I think the watch is great, huge, keeps good time and the style is classic.

It looks more rugged and rated for deeper dive use than my rolex explorer II.

seiko_6309_7049_03a.jpg

I usually wear this gucci out for classy events but busted the bracelet (weak),

the bracelet has broken twice, and a screw popped off of it. Really not for roughing,

a new screw w/ the gucci symbol on it is $80 icon_smile_dead.gif. I'm lucky my dad is a watch

nut like some of you guys, i'm slowly catching the fever

Edited by crisis on Jan 25, 2006 at 03:48 PM

Edited by crisis on Jan 25, 2006 at 03:48 PM

I love watches, been a member of the NAWCC since I was a teen. My dad loves watches, he can repair them, this is where my love began.

2 things.

Thing 1. I do not care who made the watch, if it is quartz, I will not buy it. (unless there is some other completely unique and sick reason to do so, example a collection of limited edition swatches from the Atlanta Olympics, and the sterling Burberry charm bracelet watch, which I wear as a charm bracelet with my divorce watch aka the mens stainless Roadster (but not the chrono, because it is partially quartz)

I believe in the automatic as a work of art, and the wind is just behind........

Thing 2; My dad has always dreamed of a Tourbillion (sp) and my dad is my hero. Can anyone produce a comprehensive list of what is available out there? I have learned so much from reading posts in here, I am sure there is someone with this knowledge!!!

Kiera

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

• 2 years later...

Im bringing back a completely dead thread. Im looking for a watch right now and am starting to narrow it down to the cartier Pasha Seatimer for its classic styling movadobaby_2001_87150314

the Jeager LeCoultre Master Compressor

movadobaby_2000_118124411

or the amazing looking but possibly too modern Maurice Lacroix Pontos Decentrique

161.jpg

I need something that will look good with the everyday AA V neck, dior black blue or greys and some greyscale hightops. Or dressing up a little bit. So lets hear some opinions

Master Compresser for sure. Although the Pasha is a classic look it wears small. I have a Panerai 112 and IWC 3719 (Aquatimer Chronograph) and have been looking at JLC for a while. But, 9k is tough to swallow.

Never really liked Lacorix; too dressy.

You may also want to consider a IWC 8 Day Power Reserve. It has IWC's new movement and is not as difficult to procure as the Big Pilot. Actually I vote you get your name on for the Big Pilot. It is pretty dressy, and carries with it tons of history. Unless you have your heart set on a diver that is. Re-sale value for BPs are also really good.

Hey thanks, the big pilot is definitely beyond my budget. The Jaeger is really pushing it but the fact that its made out of titanium and I can get it for around 6-7k makes it slightly possible. Im a guy who dresses down a lot but think that the Lacroix could be something that just makes dressed down look a lot cooler. Also I should have said this before but I have a very small wrist, Im not really really skinny like a lot of people here, Im like the basic 5'10 155. So there has to be more lurkers, I would love some more opinions, and idrawdinosaurs I can tell that you are much more of a watch connoisseur and Im wondering if that changes your opinion. thanks for the opinions so far

^ I also have this problem. I have the skinniest wrists. It's quite difficult to find a watch that looks good, cant be too big and i dont like small faced watches. Would love to hear some suggestions. My wrist is a little over 2 inches wide..

i like ML for dressier watches - inhouse movements and usually nice designs. pretty good bang for the buck too.

on an unrelated note - i read that kobe bryant bought all of his teammates a $9800 JLC - anyone know what model?? just curious...

how do you guys deal wiht watches when you put your wrist at a 90 degree angle and the side just rams into your wrist..

i find that really uncomfortable.

is it because the watch head size is too large or what?

(one reason why i've been looking for square faces so it wont jam as much into my backhand)

Hey thanks, the big pilot is definitely beyond my budget. The Jaeger is really pushing it but the fact that its made out of titanium and I can get it for around 6-7k makes it slightly possible. Im a guy who dresses down a lot but think that the Lacroix could be something that just makes dressed down look a lot cooler. Also I should have said this before but I have a very small wrist, Im not really really skinny like a lot of people here, Im like the basic 5'10 155. So there has to be more lurkers, I would love some more opinions, and idrawdinosaurs I can tell that you are much more of a watch connoisseur and Im wondering if that changes your opinion. thanks for the opinions so far

I am indeed a watch fan, and my decisions are often persuaded by resale value. The IWC Aquatimer Chrono being the one watch that I will probable never sell.

A safe bet if you want a dressy sport watch is Rolex Submariner, or a Explorer. The are about 40mm, but still have a lot of heft to it. Plus easy to resale if you plan on moving to a more expesnvie piece.

However, 6-7k on the JLC is a pretty sweet deal. I have seen that watch in person and the dial is beautiful. The blue in that watch make it very unique. JLC also does a decent job of holding it's value, but not nearly as strong as a IWC BP, Panerai, or Rolex.

So my suggestiong that if this is your starter watch, then go for something you can move in 3-4 years when you trade up. However, if you intend on keeping this peice then go with what you want, and throw caution in the wind. Good luck.

how do you guys deal wiht watches when you put your wrist at a 90 degree angle and the side just rams into your wrist..

i find that really uncomfortable.

is it because the watch head size is too large or what?

(one reason why i've been looking for square faces so it wont jam as much into my backhand)

Yes, the watch head is too big, or the holes in your strap are not giving you enough support. If you got a diver or pilot I would suggest a zulu strap, or maybe a plain Nato. It'll keep the watch head nice and tight, and give it a really authentic militarty look.