original 501s

airfrogusmc

The texture of the denim looks just like my rinsed 66s, think it's how they look when they are washed a few times. And the wide cut of the legs are probably due to it's 40" wide waist.

Olle original Levis were full cut until the 60s when slimmer cuts became all the rage. Levis gets the cut on their 55s really close to originals.

Olle original Levis were full cut until the 60s when slimmer cuts became all the rage. Levis gets the cut on their 55s really close to originals.

My 55s fit really well, the way I remember them from back in the day when I really wore them growing up. Today I snuck my 55s into work - big wall-street law firm. I'm in IT but the overall rule is, no jeans in the office. But because they are dark, I'm slightly under the radar with them.

afro, i know you're a levis expert. if i will buy my first levi's (pre-superfuture), which selvage, contemporary levi's could i start with? straight cut, raw....

Definatley not an expert. If you don't like cinchbacks this years 55s are very nice. Better would be a pair of Valencia St ones. The only negative I see is the belt loop is not off the seem like on originals. I can't figure out why US LVC hasn't straightened that out.

If you want cinch backs go for the 33s cause they won't be offered next year.

The only negative I see is the belt loop is not off the seem like on originals. I can't figure out why US LVC hasn't straightened that out.

LVC don't feautre the offset belt loop, because not all the originals had it. I have no idea what proportion of the originals had the offset, it might be that it happened for a particular year or, more likely, it was just one factory that did it. It would probabyl eb a good idea for LVC to produce at least one run with that feature, though, as so many people like it.

These do show that LVC get pretty close to the original look. Last week I was chatting to a dude who was wearingh the 55s pretty tight, and they looked great. Of course, the problem here is the two inch jump between waist sizes, which makes it that bit harder to get the size exactly right....

• 2 weeks later...

airfrog, I saw the pics of your 55 501xx LVCs that you posted. They look great. I see that the tag says made in USA. I imagine they are made with Cone Mills denim, but do you have any idea about the rest of the manufacturing? Levis doesn't have any sewing operations in the US anymore, do they? Do you suppose they just attach the rivets or buttons in the US? What is required in the way of finishing for the USA tag to go on?

Because this is a touchy subject for a lot of people, let me state for the record that I am not implying anything or attempting to criticize. I am just curious about where the jeans are sewn.

Paul T your thoughts on this are welcome as always!

airfrog, I saw the pics of your 55 501xx LVCs that you posted. They look great. I see that the tag says made in USA. I imagine they are made with Cone Mills denim, but do you have any idea about the rest of the manufacturing? Levis doesn't have any sewing operations in the US anymore, do they? Do you suppose they just attach the rivets or buttons in the US? What is required in the way of finishing for the USA tag to go on?

Because this is a touchy subject for a lot of people, let me state for the record that I am not implying anything or attempting to criticize. I am just curious about where the jeans are sewn.

Yeah I think they're still using cone mills denim and if I'm not mistaken 643 is Tenn? The denim is outstanding. I think Paul said the quality this past year had gotten allot better than say 03 and if these are any indication that would be true. I actually think that all the LVC stuff is being produced there. Anyway my 1886 from 05 were also from there. Paul?

Dry LVC is still made in the US, in a non-Levi's factory. AS you said, all Levi's own factories were closed, Valencia first, supposedly for earhquake-proofing, but ultimately to be sold for conversion into condos, then LVC production moved to, if memory serves, the San Antonio Tx Levi's factory (I looked this up and mentioned this in an old thread), and now they're made by another contractor in the US - could be a single factory, could be whoever has the capacity at the time. The fabric still comes from Cone.

I have heard that the distressed finish LVC are all made in Europe, maybe Romania, using Italian denim. The reason for this is apparently not to save money, but because of trade tariffs.