Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Quick question for D80 users. I'm shooting with the 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 lens. I'm using M mode and know how to adjust the aperture and shutter speed. Is it somehow possible to lock in the aperture at one setting and still use the available zoom or do I have to stay at 18mm to stay at f/3.5? I've been trying to figure it out, but haven't had much success yet. Thanks.
can't do it... the minimum aperture depends on the focal length. the min will get smaller and smaller the longer the focal length is - i guess 135mm is 5.6

The only way it would be possible if you switch to A mode but you lose control of the shutter unfortunately.

^ yea, sigma is that much better then a canon? kinda hard to believe

so far they are saying it is better than the 1.4 and close the 1.2

there are some reports of focus problems, but its most likely bad technique on the part of the users.

the copy i played with for a bit was niceee

$600 for d80 body (2000 actuations) and 8gb card

good deal?:confused:

cmon d90 in august!!:mad:

Which lens is better? I narrowed it down to these two because it's my first lens and I don't want to spend too much yet. So which one would be a better "beginner" lens?

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

Nikon 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G ED

OR

Nikon 50mm F/1.8D

I would say 50 f/1.8, you might have to work a little bit more finding your shot (walking back and forth) but that lens is super sharp and would work better in low light conditions.

I would say 50 f/1.8, you might have to work a little bit more finding your shot (walking back and forth) but that lens is super sharp and would work better in low light conditions.

I agree as to the low light comment. I have the 18-135mm 3.5/5.6 and it is not good at all in low situations. It is nice to have a zoom though...

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'm going with the 50mm F/1.8D because I don't need the zoom, and I'll be shooting in low light a lot.

Edit- By the way, is 4 bills a good deal for a Nikon D50 in good condition? Comes with accessories + 50mm f/1.4 lens. Shutter count is at 6000.

so far they are saying it is better than the 1.4 and close the 1.2

there are some reports of focus problems, but its most likely bad technique on the part of the users.

the copy i played with for a bit was niceee

sigma's are known to back/front focus on canon mounts...

the 50/1.4 is a great lens either way, very sharp at f2 and up

sigma's are known to back/front focus on canon mounts...

the 50/1.4 is a great lens either way, very sharp at f2 and up

yeahh.... thats kinda why i mentioned it.

and when i was using one there were no probs on any of my bodies, and there are other satisfied people as well.

and if you are talking about the canon 1.4 in the 2nd part of your post, whats the point of buying a 1.4 lens that needs to be stopped down ? and in terms of build, focus motor etc, it sucks.

most lenses need to be stopped down to be sharp. not many lenses are tack sharp wide open, unless the sigma 1.4 is...

dont get me wrong, i haven't used the sigma 50 but speaking from my own and other's experience i think the general concensus is that the sigma QC is questionable with all the focusing issues...

the sigma is also quite a bit more expensive (at least where i live)...

to be honest, i think whichever u use u'll be happy either way as long as the lens are in perfect working condition.

Ended up getting the 50 f/1.8 today.

isnt the 50mm 1.4 about 4 bills alone?

I dont kno much about Nikon, but sounds like you could pick that combo up... sell the d50 for whatever and come out with a good lens (and not having to buy the 1.8)

I went to meetup with the seller today and he only brought the d50.. He said he wasn't selling the 50 f/1.4 anymore because his friend needed it :( D50 was still a good deal for 3 bills since it's in such good condition. The guy even gave me an extra battery, sd card, and carrying case.

By the way, what program(s) do you guys use to edit your raw images with?

So for some reason my computer stopped recognizing the raw files shot from my 20d. I originally would use the canon raw software that came with my camera and it would recognize it fine but now it can't find any files but the jpegs. can anyone tell me how to fix this?

anyone know anywhere cheap to get lightroom or another raw processor?

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'm going with the 50mm F/1.8D because I don't need the zoom, and I'll be shooting in low light a lot.

Edit- By the way, is 4 bills a good deal for a Nikon D50 in good condition? Comes with accessories + 50mm f/1.4 lens. Shutter count is at 6000.

Yeah, it's pretty old but its just as good as a d40.

just as good as d40? not at all. d40 has updated sensor that looks much much better. only thing d40 lacks is the af which d50 has. d50's lcd screen is beyond garbage. i would actually say d50 is fairly nice as far as noise goes, but still negligable in my book.

Ended up getting the 50 f/1.8 today.

I went to meetup with the seller today and he only brought the d50.. He said he wasn't selling the 50 f/1.4 anymore because his friend needed it :( D50 was still a good deal for 3 bills since it's in such good condition. The guy even gave me an extra battery, sd card, and carrying case.

By the way, what program(s) do you guys use to edit your raw images with?

3 bills for a d50 is not a good deal. i commonly see people selling d50 bodys for 150-200 in good condition. i'd say if you have 300 to spend on a d50, save a couple more and find a D80 body used since they go for roughly 500-600 used.

I've been reading a fair bit about DSLRs and I'm interested in getting my first cam. Read through a lot of the pages in this thread (didn't understand a lot of it as it was too technical for me :-\), read through some online reviews, and checked prices around.

The best deals seem to be on B&H or eBay (with BIN cashback? that still going on? I heard it was). Think I'm gonna go with the d40 as just a starter and for now, no fancy lenses. Good price for body + basic 18-55mm lens seems to go for around $450, would this be a good estimate?

I'm gonna continue looking for used/refurbished ones online as I don't plan on buying for another few weeks (gonna continue researching). I'm also gonna try and feel the camera (and others like Rebel) in my hands at a Best Buy or something. Solid plan? Or would you guys suggest something different?