Digital SLRs?

nairb49

you do a lot of armchair photography on this forum.

photography is bigger than posting a few random snaps that are far from finished works and perfect on websites to me.

so i usually stick to technical stuff online.

and when it comes to gear/technical stuff i only comment on things ive actually used etc.

meh, dont take too much offense but a body that is past your skill level and a mediocre lens, big whoop.

oh im sorry, does my digital slr camera not belong in the "Digital SLRs?" thread? heavens. my mistake.

please, dont get mad at my getting a camera because a few people completely unrelated to myself had nice things to say. i never my photos were awesome. and if the body's past my skill level then whats so wrong with my mediocre lense? grow up. :rolleyes:

felix, ill hook it up proxy style for yeh..

oh im sorry, does my digital slr camera not belong in the "Digital SLRs?" thread? heavens. my mistake.

please, dont get mad at my getting a camera because a few people completely unrelated to myself had nice things to say. i never my photos were awesome. and if the body's past my skill never then whats so wrong with my mediocre lense? grow up. :rolleyes:

when did i say it didnt belong here?

im not mad, why are you assuming that i am?

people can say whatever they want, idc.

i never said your photos were awesome either

your second to last sentence is incoherent.

and the last remark is ironic since it indicates that the user needs to grow up as well, instead of shooting silly jabs that are meaningless.

relax, no need to get so defensive.

the assumption of you being mad comes from me never having remembered seeing a positive post of yours other than the one about you trying out your new lens. youre always a dick to people on here. generally, happy people have much nicer things to say if theyre going to bother speaking. the second to last sentence made no since because for some reason i typed never instead of level. my mistake. anyways, ill leave it at this.

the assumption of you being mad comes from me never having remembered seeing a positive post of yours other than the one about you trying out your new lens. youre always a dick to people on here. generally.

can't rep but so true.

kennmon - why not get off your high horse? you seem pretty knowledgeable and i'm sure we could learn from you. take a lesson from the other experienced photographers here who are more than happy to explain like minya, mis, red (and others who i can't remember, sorry) and school us without being such a condescending ass every time you post.

superfuture can definitely be unforgiving, especially in the fashion and trash areas and if you've taken your lead from that, well fine. but, for some reason, that (hilarious) approach hasn't affected a lot of the threads in culture.

i for one am looking to learn more about a new hobby when i read this thread.

neways...

how do you guys auto focus?

i tend to use the center focus point, and just recompose my shots. i tend to do this because i shoot a lot of low light (the center point is the most sensitive on my SLR) and use shallow DOF and am afraid that *the multi focusing points* will focus on the wrong object.

what about you guys? do you use the multi focusing points or do you pick your focus point

correction*

neways...

i tend to use the center focus point, and just recompose my shots. i tend to do this because i shoot a lot of low light (the center point is the most sensitive on my SLR) and use shallow DOF and am afraid that the camera will focus on the wrong object.

what about you guys?

use whatever point is necessary.

if you are shooting in low light, you are probably using fast lenses, they work fine with most if not all af points.

if not, get your lenses and body calibrated.

1d series af is absolutely brilliant, i love mine

same thought, but he can make l lens setup later i guess...

congrat on the 5D dino. though i'd have chosen a better lens before a FF body, but i guess that in either way you'll take nice shots, and you have plenty of time to get some nice glasses.

waiting for further price drop for d300. :( flickr pics with your setup, curious how that setup (ill have soon, but 50 1.8) is.

congrats dino. very nice setup!

i recently upgraded from a D80 to a D300 with 50mm 1.4 also

upgraded for a very...very...very cheap price which i cannot disclose ;]

neways...

i tend to use the center focus point, and just recompose my shots. i tend to do this because i shoot a lot of low light (the center point is the most sensitive on my SLR) and use shallow DOF and am afraid that *the multi focusing points* will focus on the wrong object.

what about you guys? do you use the multi focusing points or do you pick your focus point

correction*

Actually if the depth of field is very shallow it's better not to use focus recompose

Yes! I just had my D40 delivered, without custom charges or whatever!

I'm so happy right now.

^now get a sigma 30mm 1.4 and youll be godly!

ericdw - there is nothing wrong with the sigma 30mm 1.4 i was suggesting to that person to get one. its a godly combo i hear for d40 owners because there aren't many AF lens for the d40. also, the focal length is near perfect to og 50mm, and its affordable. i wasn't being ironic haha.

although i have heard that there is alot of focusing problem with it.

what do you recommend then? select the focus point manually or go full auto?

if in a real hurry, use the point already chosen, if not in a hurry select it yourself. it's what I do.

i rarely use full auto unless tracking servo on a 1d series body.

no algorithm can really beat the photog actually choosing where they wany focus.

select the focus point manually and use the one closest or on the part you want focused.

sigma 30mm is great, like ANY lens there will be complainers and the occasional bad copy

which yes and nos are we talking about. asking a question would be a step in the direction of getting an answer

well for a beginner what would be the best camera to get and how much would i be looking on in terms of money?

I always choose the focus point manually. If youre shooting at low DOF, your best bet is to frame in such a way that the subject falls on one of the focus points and use that.

more info: http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm