Digital SLRs?

nairb49

So, I thought I was going to get a good deal on D80 package but it feel through. Can anyone point me in the direction of a D80 package that's $900 or less? I've been looking around quite a bit but would like some more input. Thanks.

I do, Im just wondering if theres a tool/process to do thats easier than tweaking the white balance? I remember seeing a video where the guy used curves to sample the shadow/highlight areas of a seperate image and it automatically corrected the cast, but it turned out horribly for me

open up curves on the image you want to correct.

there are 3 eyedroppers/sampling tools.

one for black/one for white/one for midtone

choose the black one and put it on a black area of your image

choose the white and put it on the white part of your image.

choose the middle and look for a mid grey tone, or just click around until you get the colors you want.

What do you have and what kind of stuff do you want to shoot?

There's tons of good EOS glass available for less than $500 new, and if you are willing to buy used the options get even better. But before you buy anything, you should think about what you will be doing with the lens. The 50 f/1.4 USM is great if you shoot low light a lot, but if you routinely use it past f/3.5 or so then you could just stick with the 50mm f/1.8 and spend the extra money on another lens or flash.

Here are some great lenses under $500 new.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro (USM is more expensive but has no extending front element when focusing, a very cool feature.)

Canon 85mm f/1.8

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (if you get a good copy)

If you want a zoom and can spend ~$600 then the Canon 70-200 f/4 L and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 are excellent zooms.

I buy all my glass used, and if you're on a budget I'd recommend that.

Nice. Thanks for the help.

If I were to buy it used, where would you recommend outside of Craigslist?

Most camera forums say that BH photo, KEH, cameta, adorama have good ones. Also check out ebay but know you're taking a huge chance. Sometimes if you get it from a hobby-ist/amateur the lens is most likely really babied and well taken care of plus barely used... if you get it from a photojournalist you're screwed as they have a reputation of using their lenses everywhere (dust, bumps etc.).

I would never reccomend you buy used sigmas... they're cheap enough to buy new plus you might need to keep exchanging them... production quality is hit and miss at times.

yes or no... trench coat or 105mm nikkor micro?? I want to take more long range portrait shots. Maybe I should go for a 70-300 vr????? I don't think I'll be able to take very good portraits near dim-light dusk or dawn though which is when I like taking portraits. So maybe a 70-200mm 2.8 vr...

So I was just at Samy's camera and made an impulse buy. My budget is $1000 max for an entry level DSLR.

I ended up getting a D40X refurb ($499), and a Tamron 18 - 200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) AF Zoom Lens w/macro ($325).

My only doubt is that, for the same price, I could get the D80 with the nikkor 18-135mm lens. Dilemma: which is a better trade off?

wait what? you can get a d80 +18-135mm for $824?

i got my D80 + 18-135 brand new kit for $850 or so.

it was on sale for awhile at Circuit City for 900something and then a 15% off cuopon.

and then there was that one deal on the CC website price mistake...D80+18-135 kit for like 650.

I ended up with both a d40 and an xti and am looking to get a 50.

Which one is better for those of you who have used both, the 1.8 50 for the nikon or the 1.8 50 for the canon

I have not used both, but reportedly the Nikon 50 might be a little sharper? It seems like a moot point for you as the Nikon will not autofocus on your D40. Tiny sharpness differences aren't going to matter when you miss the focus at f/1.8, which will happen particularly often with an entry level camera's tiny viewfinder.

Why do you have two entry level cameras instead of one upper tier camera?

well i think that what you are using now is pretty decent for an entry level already, upgrading to a d50 isn;t much of an upgrade i think, to tell the truth, the body does look more professional and you have more control over the camera and the extra screen ontop is really important when you are shooting manual and keeping track of iso and white balance and stuff. maybe you should wait til july 1st to confirm wheter the news about the d700 is true or not if so other cameras might fall in price shortly after release and pick up a d80 or something, and the lens it really depends on what you shoot, but on d80 going with a 18-130mm or 18-70 should be a pretty good starter lens with the d80.

i use corel photo album, it sucks but i got it for free.

got my sigma 30mm in the mail today and tested it out - looks like it focuses a little behind the subject, just a few centemeters... here's a test shot at f1.4 from a 1.5' away. the beading on the cup makes it pretty easy to see.

DSC_0338.jpg

dsc_03382crop.jpg

should i send it to have it calibrated?

Aight. I ordered my EF 50mm f/1.4 from Adorama...

Hopefully I'll be pretty please, and I think I will. Next purchase... some FH 3001's, and then a zoom lens. I'm thinking I'll just go with the EF 70-200 f/4 over the f/2.8. I mean... i don't like shooting indoors all that much so why not save ~$650?

i have an xti and the cheap 50mm 1.8

some streetwear brand wants me to shoot a lookbook for them LOL.

should my next camera related purchase be a flash or lens or .. whatever you recommend.

thanks.

do the right thing and dont take a job, especially a paying one if you dont know what you are doing.

jobs are not the place to learn new skills, only use ones that youve developed on your own time.

if you dont know what you need for the job, dont have them expect you to be able to do a good job.

got my sigma 30mm in the mail today and tested it out - looks like it focuses a little behind the subject, just a few centemeters... here's a test shot at f1.4 from a 1.5' away. the beading on the cup makes it pretty easy to see.

should i send it to have it calibrated?

if you are gonna be the type to obsess and pixel peep, do it on a higher contrast subject such as a 1950 test chart or even on a brick wall during the day etc.

that cup is not the greatest way to see if the focus is good.

alot is also dependent on the body spec

sigma is on LI and is very good generally about send-in calibrations.

Aight. I ordered my EF 50mm f/1.4 from Adorama...

Hopefully I'll be pretty please, and I think I will. Next purchase... some FH 3001's, and then a zoom lens. I'm thinking I'll just go with the EF 70-200 f/4 over the f/2.8. I mean... i don't like shooting indoors all that much so why not save ~$650?

bummer that you ordered that lens.

eh, except for the weight and price the 2.8 is an all around better lens, with very decent sharpness compared to the 4.

if you like shooting portraits the shallower dof and nicer bokeh are noticable with the 2.8