photo people

youngluc

alright so im in the process of buying a camera really really soon. like within a week probably. heres what im looking at getting as of right now, any thoughts/opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

canon 30d

canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

canon 50mm f/1.8

canon 580ex speedlite & off-camera shoe cord

standard bullshit - batterys, uv filters/polarizers, compact flash

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everything looks good except for the zoom.

learn to use your 50 first.

haha yeah, well the only reason im getting that is cause i wanted something real wide to work with. i thought about going with the 17-40 f/4L but i don't plan on going full frame any time soon, and when i eventually do i'll hopefully have the funds to not worry about lenses i already bought and shit.everything i read about the 10-22 was pretty good, i was with aperture was lower but for something to just fuck around with it seemed alright.

edit: plus the money i have right now is specifically for this so instead of holding off on getting another lens i figured i'd better find one now and get it before i get frustrated with only a 50 and have no way of getting another haha

the best money spent on camera gear should be spent on glass.

get a 50 1.4 and a 24 2.8

ditto. both great lenses to start with.

i'm itching for a 24-70 f/2.8 L right now. i have the money, but it's that or a new bike.

luc, if you are interested, i have a tokina 12-24mm digital lens, canon mount for sale. super cheap (i want to get rid of this thing and get aforementioned L lens).

ditto. both great lenses to start with.

i'm itching for a 24-70 f/2.8 L right now. i have the money, but it's that or a new bike.

luc, if you are interested, i have a tokina 12-24mm digital lens, canon mount for sale. super cheap (i want to get rid of this thing and get aforementioned L lens).

if you want PM me what you're looking to get for it and i'll let you know asap. i figure having something that wide will be fun to just fuck around with here and there.

alright so im in the process of buying a camera really really soon. like within a week probably. heres what im looking at getting as of right now, any thoughts/opinions/suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

canon 30d

canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

canon 50mm f/1.8

canon 580ex speedlite & off-camera shoe cord

standard bullshit - batterys, uv filters/polarizers, compact flash

Fuck the zooms and get a Canon EOS5D and 24 1.4L 35 1.4L and an 85 1.2L and your good to go. 5D has a full frame sensor so you don't loose your wide angles.

Fuck the zooms and get a Canon EOS5D and 24 1.4L 35 1.4L and an 85 1.2L and your good to go. 5D has a full frame sensor so you don't loose your wide angles.

Suuuuure, get that if youve got a cool 7 or 8 grand lying around just buring a hole in your pocket.

*rolls eyes*

The 70-200mm f/2.8 is a sexy beast too. Worth every penny, and tack sharp.

I'm just happy I finally can say I have one of those pretty white lenses. Chea.

The good stuff is never cheap. My advice is always get the best you can afford.

Quoted for truthiness.

Fuck the zooms and get a Canon EOS5D

Quoted again for more truthiness.

Its simple physics every time you add a piece of glass you add another problem.

I can tell you if you use a 35 1.4L or and 851.2L you will see a difference in sharpness. And the 24 1.4 L is super. The distortion is very slight for such a wide lens. Way better than any zoom. Worth every nickel.

But the real benefit is the 5Ds full frame sensor. And the noise is so much less at high iso than the D20. And when I shoot at 50 iso a can get sharpness that equals medium format film.

The stuff hes talking about buying adds up to around 2000, give or take.

What you suggested is gonna hit 8000.

Hmmmmm.

Sure, money on glass is money well spent, but if he's just starting to get into photography whats the point of dropping a nice used car on gear? Doesnt make any sense to me.

And as good as your 5D may look at 1600 i bet you couldnt tell the difference between those and my 20d pictures at 1600 with noise ninja. And i saved a shit load of money :D

The stuff hes talking about buying adds up to around 2000, give or take.

What you suggested is gonna hit 8000.

Hmmmmm.

Sure, money on glass is money well spent, but if he's just starting to get into photography whats the point of dropping a nice used car on gear? Doesnt make any sense to me.

And as good as your 5D may look at 1600 i bet you couldnt tell the difference between those and my 20d pictures at 1600 with noise ninja. And i saved a shit load of money :D

Actually I can at 1600 and can really at 3200 and the most important part so can my clients. I have a 20D also.

Haha, me too, I'm going to buy a DSLR soon, after I save up money after I buy turntables. For me, I looked through and did a Canon vs. Nikon. And I ended up going for Nikon.

Nikon has beginner, middle, pro, lenses, and Canon has beginner, pro lenses. So Canon is more expensive in lenses. From what I see online, Canon has cheaper body, but more expensive lenses and Nikon is the other way around. But it all depends. I think Canon is better for shooting stuff like Sports, fast movement things. Nikon is good all around. Canon is also good all around but probably especially good in fast moveing stuff.

For me, I'm aiming for a Nikon D80 kit. With whatever lenses the give me, and stick with that until I know my camera better. As for the flash, I'm aiming for a 'Nikon SB-600.'

Well, good luck making up your mind. lol

I guess I'm a fool cause I shoot all the time at 3200 and get beautiful 8X10s without allot of noise with the 5D. Can't do it with the 20 D though. Its great shooting candids without a flash. You become quite invisable. Here ya go 3200 shot with room light custom white ballance 1/100 of a sec 85mm lens at f 1.2. Not bad huh?

Santalamplowjpg.jpg

I guess I'm a fool cause I shoot all the time at 3200 and get beautiful 8X10s without allot of noise with the 5D. Can't do it with the 20 D though. Its great shooting candids without a flash. You become quite invisable. Here ya go 3200 shot with room light custom white ballance 1/100 of a sec 85mm lens at f 1.2. Not bad huh?

Santalamplowjpg.jpg

Ummm. I didnt want to do this but...ouch:

Date: 12/18/05

Time: 8:20:14 AM

Model: Canon EOS 5D

Serial #:

Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows

Frame #:

Lens (mm): 85

ISO: 200

Aperture: 1.2

Shutter: 1/125

Exp. Comp.: 0.0

Flash Comp.:

Program: Manual

Focus Mode:

White Bal.:

ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (embedded)

Contrast:

Sharpening:

Quality:

Not that i dont believe you. Ive used a 5d at 3200 and enjoy the results. I just think the differences are miniscule.

Carl, do you mind explaining why?

Image quality. Skin tone looks horrible. Image noise. If your going to use 3200 either learn to hand hold a longer exposure at 1600 or learn to use bounce flash.

airfrog - I noticed you shot alot of those at 1/100 f1.6 at 3200. Why not just shoot at 1/80th f1.2 at 1600?