photo people

youngluc

Carl after looking at some more of your images I really feel you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting a 1DsMarkII or a 5D. With all the wide angle suff you shoot you would really benifit from a full frame sensor and a 35 1.4L and a 24 1.4L. I have both the 20D and 5D and have shot with the 1DsMarkII and the sensor in those cameras does make a big difference.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl after looking at some more of your images I really feel you are doing yourself a disservice by not getting a 1DsMarkII or a 5D. With all the wide angle suff you shoot you would really benifit from a full frame sensor and a 35 1.4L and a 24 1.4L. I have both the 20D and 5D and have shot with the 1DsMarkII and the sensor in those cameras does make a big difference.

Yeah... I would second that statement with the fact that I was never really satisfied with my 17-40L on my 20D until I got to shoot it FF with my 5D. That shit is WIDE--vignetting and all. It's made more use out of my shorter lenses.

I always thought I was in a weird position with my short lenses + the 1.5x crop.

I'm not sure I would put photojournalists and documentary photographers in the same category. Usually photojournalists live and die on one shot while documentary photographers work on bodies of work. Some of my favorites are Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans, (all the FSA stuff) Robert Frank, Diane Arbus shit this list could go on all night.

One photojournalist that was an artist in my opinion was Arthur Fellig. Some of the war photographers like Capa and w.Eugene Smith though that later more a documentary photographer.

Yeah, i guess my personal distinction between photojournalists and documentarians is quite small. I almost use the two words interchangeably. I believe both can and do achieve what the other sets out to do.

I wouldnt even classify what i do as either/or. I hold up to a photojournalists set of ethics and a documentary photographers sense of the "long term project", but like many photographers of humanity i prefer to be called just simply a photographer.

If only i wernt a poor, starving college student...

Id love to have a cool four grand for a 5D and a 35 1.4, but with student loans fast approaching and a crippling addiction to ebay its just not in the cards.

As much as I dream for that set-up my 20d and 20 2.8 is working just fine for me. Gotta find someone to loan me 300 dollars so i can get the 85 1.8.

I am also a firm beliver that zoom lenses make lazy photographers, take that for what you will.

I am also a firm beliver that zoom lenses make lazy photographers, take that for what you will.

Agreed.

Although I will say that there is justifiable reasoning for purchasing a zoom--if you're interested in fashion type stuff, portraits with longer zooms like the 70-200mm 2.8L I bought create a nice effect with the compression of the background in relation to the subject. :)

You know what poly? I think when you compare it to work such as this...it really is.

12ask.slide6.jpg

Just my opinion though.

photography is arguably the most significant art form in the past 150 years, you would be hard pressed to find someone to argue that point. but the differentiation between documentary and photojournalism while small is vastly different. i guess i have more of a problem with taking things serious that try and make you "feel" art as opposed to just giving you the statement. my opinion though. sure others have differing opinions.

Yeah, i guess my personal distinction between photojournalists and documentarians is quite small. I almost use the two words interchangeably. I believe both can and do achieve what the other sets out to do.

It is a fine line.

I wouldnt even classify what i do as either/or. I hold up to a photojournalists set of ethics and a documentary photographers sense of the "long term project", but like many photographers of humanity i prefer to be called just simply a photographer.

Classifactions are for the left brain world to try and understand what most creatives don't need words for.

If only i wernt a poor, starving college student...

Id love to have a cool four grand for a 5D and a 35 1.4, but with student loans fast approaching and a crippling addiction to ebay its just not in the cards.

As much as I dream for that set-up my 20d and 20 2.8 is working just fine for me. Gotta find someone to loan me 300 dollars so i can get the 85 1.8.

Zooms "make lazy photographers" is so true. I do not own one.