In ten years...

doctorgnar

We fuss about quality - that garments will stand the test of time - but how much does quality matter when shit just gets played out and forgotten anyway?

So much of the shit I own and buy seems so disposable - even if I love it right now. I know that this is the nature of fashion - but what transcends faddishness?

Of the things you currently own, what will you still be rocking 10 years from now? What will last, both structurally and in terms of your taste?

Good question. The only thing that comes to mind are white tees, Jack Purcells and IWC Pilot. Oh, this collaboration stuff will go to shit. And you can throw my TNF Denali in there, too. That is one ugly ass jacket, but it does keep me warm.

Missing the Denali, but here's a pic of some of the things I find to be classics.

cimg0120xy0.th.jpg

Looking in my closet at what I still own/wear that I bought around 10 years ago...

agnes b dress shirts

Paul Smith shirts & suits

Dolce & Gabbana shoes & suit

stuff that I still buy that is the same as it was 10 years ago...

Fred Perry polos

Ben Sherman buttondowns

A lot of the stuff I've bought in the past few years I expect to still have around and wear in 10 years. My style doesnt change with trends so "getting played out" doesnt really apply.

my things i'll still wear 10 years from now...

sugarcane oki's

samurai vx5000

iron hearts

hugo boss brown leather bomber jacket

hugo boss swade jacket

one true saxson heavy m65 tweed jacket

one true saxon m65 outerwear jacket

depending on how often i will wear my cordoroy polo pants (which are pretty much never or once a month cuz my boss bitches and catches me wearing jeans) i might still have those if the stiching holds up.

non-denim pants are hard to keep for more than 5 years...the seat and knees wear out and get that ugly shine even if you take care of em and wear lightly.

yeah i know but i got two pairs and i wear each one about once a month max. If i kept that trend i'd probly still have them around in 10 years. Not that i care bout them, just got them for work even though i barley wear them. I only wear them when my boss makes a comment about the "no jeans" policy or threatens to write me up for wearing jeans.

Plain Tees in any and all colors

Denim

Vans classics

...are what I wear everday and what I'll still be wearing in the future. Call me boring and plain but plain color tees will always be a staple in my wardrobe because most of todays (and probably tommorrows) graphic tees are too much for me.I just love Vans in general and they're simple design and range of simple and elaborate colorways will keep them on my feet in the future.My style is ridiculously simple so I think most of my clothes will endure the incoming and outgoing of trends.

I really like this thread btw.

If were talkling things that you actually own now that migh last you 10 years:

hopefully, some of the denim if I can stil fit it (most people get fatter with age, right?)

Red wing boots, maybe some simple sneakers (but I guess those either be beaten to pieces or sole will fall off), grand dads tweed jacket, leather jackets (if I actually want to wear a biker styled jacket when im 35). Not that much really.

style wise, I guess a lot of stuff have the potential to last.

Guest Berget__

All the jeans. I´ll probably never stop wearing raw jeans. And if my style doesn´t change dramatically I might even be wearing the same loud-color nikes I do now. Also my penfieldxmhi jacket. Camoflage is pretty classic imo.

Hopefully I'll evolve in 10 year...

Yeah. And I think that evolution is natural. That's part of why we're here (on SF), right? That's why I ask.

I think even classic/timeless pieces fade in and out of fashion. Flannels, for instance. Recently I have amassed quite a collection of quality flannels (as have many others here) that I am very happy with from Rogan, Pendleton, Woolrich, Supreme, etc. Do I see myself wearing any of these in 2 or 3 years? Probably not. I wasn't wearing them 2 or 3 years ago. I'll grow tired of them.

APC jeans? Probably won't last, not the way I wear them. I have pairs that are 1.5 years old and ready to bust in some places already. Most are slim cut, too, and I'm sure I'll be wearing jeans differently in 10 years.

I wouldn't expect my Vans to make it that long, or any sneakers.

For me: I hope my Spruce hoodie is still around. I've got a couple pairs of cotton pants from Unis that I'd probably still wear. Steven Alan button ups. 47' Levis 501. Gap leather bomber. Some tees I think get better with age. I have one nice Burberry blazer. Lots of technical gear from Helly Hansen, Burton, Arc'teryx, etc. but that shit will all be dated and upgraded.

And lots of other stuff that I'm sure will make it ten years – but probably not on me.

I'm at least 10 years older than most posters here and I'm still wearing mostly what I would have answered 10 years ago. It's a weird thought to grow older on a message board, but maybe there'll be a "what did you wear 10 years ago that you dont now" thread in ten years. I wonder if anyone'll still be wearing dunks when he's 10 years older than now :eek:

I imagine that the stuff you got that you can imagine your dad in (simple sneaks, flannels, shirts, clean denim, boots) will be wearable in 10 years.

Even though one is probably really bored with them in a couple of years (like if flannels will be all over), they´re always possible to pull out from the dark depths of the closet in the future, being simple and pretty "timeless".

Crazy sneakers, tees with prints and new eras on the other hand will probably feel pretty unwearable.

Fashion is cyclical anyway. Anything that goes too far in any direction will never last though. For example, overly baggy clothing will never look right, neither will too fitted clothing. I think there's a middle line that fashion always tends to go back to.

That being said: Long live the white tee. Long live jeans. Long live American streetwear trends being gobbled up by the entire globe.

everything i wear now would be fine in ten years, with the exception of a couple sparkly cardigans. I only wear solid colors, basic clean cuts, that never goes out.

im not sure your tru religions will stand the test of time, literally or stylistically. who knows, maybe they will be retro by then?