Samurai VS Sugar Canes

Sion

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah they're both awesome jeans. i got them both. I like the cane's better. the denim color is a deep blue with black spots in the denim almost making it look black.

the sam's are heavyer and thicker.

there were only a limited number of cane's made so when they are gone that's it. the canes are of 100% natural indigo. and i think the cotton is from zimbabuai.

basically they are both awesome jeans, like someone above said, flip a coin and just pick one. Although if you saw them both in person you would have a much better choice in my opinion.

The $300 Okinawa is the cheaper one, and they aren't 100% natural indigo. Not sure where the cotton is from.

That said, I saw someone at work wearing Okinawas and I thought they looked great . Just get whatever matches the sort of fit you're looking for. And if you're kinda tall, like stacking, or cuffing, the inseam on canes can be a bit limiting.

Well, the normal Sugarcanes are much cheaper than the special ones offered at BIG. Check out www.historypreservation.com. Personally, not a big fan of repros (I have a very modern shape, apparently) so I would go for the Samurais, which are considerably slimmer and straighter (except for my APC New Standards, I really can't stand tapered jeans. I lived through the 80's. Once was enough. Only slight bootcuts and true straightlegs for me.)

that's like comparing apples to oranges. fits are different on both of them. okinawas are 47 cut, a bit fuller through the legs, the VX i believe is kind of like the SDA 103's which are slimmer through the thighs. As far as quality, I'd vouch for both in saying thus far they are both very high quality and you can't really say one or the other is better qualitywise. But i will say that wearing the contest samurais, some of the stitching has come undone, be it from the nature of the coarse denim or what. Nothing like that in my okinawas but then again, i don't wear them too often. Sugarcane detailing is a million times more, and a very nice touch, which samurais lack. but i like the fit of my samurais more. its all about personal taste and as far as judging these brands based on just quality, i'm not sure you can really do that

that's like comparing apples to oranges. fits are different on both of them. okinawas are 47 cut, a bit fuller through the legs, the VX i believe is kind of like the SDA 103's which are slimmer through the thighs. As far as quality, I'd vouch for both in saying thus far they are both very high quality and you can't really say one or the other is better qualitywise. But i will say that wearing the contest samurais, some of the stitching has come undone, be it from the nature of the coarse denim or what. Nothing like that in my okinawas but then again, i don't wear them too often. Sugarcane detailing is a million times more, and a very nice touch, which samurais lack. but i like the fit of my samurais more. its all about personal taste and as far as judging these brands based on just quality, i'm not sure you can really do that

yeah i got the VX sam's and i noticed my stiching comming off but it adds to the fade i believe.

Guest jeffvyain

what detailing, aside from maybe the patch, is better on the okinawas? just curious, as i haven't handled any sugarcanes because the length is too short for me. while i haven't handled sugarcane personally, i would find it a little hard to believe that the denim matches up to the vx. i suppose it kinda depends on what sort of detailing you are fond of. i can't stress enough how much i love my doughnut buttons on my 5000s...or the big slubs randomly dispersed throughout the jeans...

if you have the ass for it, i'm sure a pair of sugarcanes could look quite good, but mine is way too small for those

Guest jeffvyain

i agree about the pocket cloth/lining. the patches are hit or miss depending on the model...with the okinawa it's definitely a hit. i don't think the back pocket stitching is anything to rave about. i suppose it just depends on what you like. when you get a really nice pair you start admiring all the tiny little details that others would pass up. i love the tiny little graphics on each donut button on my sams. eventually, i'll have enough pairs to really compare them all, but for now, given my financial situation, i'll stick with my meat and potatoes.

my sammys blow my SDA's out of the water.

dounut buttons, upside down A, cool front pocket cloth, very smooth and heavy duty button's and construction, perfectly slubby denim, cool enough patch. the sammurai symbol on the back pockets acually has a bar tack build into it just for looks. the coin pocket has a tiny bit of exposed selvedge on the very edges, selvedge line has metalic thread. the rivits on the back pocket and front pockets are different slightly, you can also tell they were hand pressed. hairy denim, great leg twist.

just to compare:

sda: only grip is that construction doesn't work as smooth, buttons are generic looking and cheap feeling and jagged. 103 fit is awsome, but back pocket possition is a little wierd.

never handled sugarcanes, but it its better than sammies, than god damn.

please explain how detailing is a million times better on the canes. i'm very curious. i think that threads breaking on the sammi's affected your judgment too strongly. is it the lined back pockets? felled seams? pathc?

please explain how detailing is a million times better on the canes. i'm very curious. i think that threads breaking on the sammi's affected your judgment too strongly. is it the lined back pockets? felled seams? pathc?

patch, pocket cloth, and back pocket lining, back pocket stitching. i think thats some serious effort on their part. but again, the denim quality is very good for both.

samurai's have no detailing, an occasional donut button, and regular details. meat and potatoes to me.