Starching = bad

blm14

I've been reading all this stuff about people using spray starch on their jeans and then not washing them for a hella long time. I have some raw denims and I know about wearing for a long time, but you guys should know if you're gonna wear them a lot and keep adding starch that's a recipe for disaster.

Starch is basically the perfect food for bacteria. If you keep adding it to your jeans all the bacteria on your body is just going to eat that shit up and the jeans will get SUPER nasty. Not to mention the bacteria will start to break the denim down too and weaken it. If you're gonna wear for a year you're probably better off not using the starch or, if you wanna use starch, wash them a little bit more frequently.

I know some people on here are gonna be like "but starch is MADE for clothing, dry cleaners use it on shirts blah blah" but you don't wear a starched shirt every day for 6 months do you? :)

IMO no starch is better, my jeans developped semi-rips on the back-knee creases which I starched. Also, I now prefer the more natural looking effect of just normal wear without special effects (starch and super contrast). If you wear them hard they will get creased anyway. Starch feels like sandpaper to me.

Guest Berget__
http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/

In that guys August 10th blog, he says not to use starch either. His argument is that it makes unnatural honeycombs. Mostly just horizontal creases, rather than actually combing.

"So, there are certainly times when I would use starch, but you should always let it dry before wearing your jeans!"

Isnt exactly what i call telling people not to use starch...

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/

In that guys August 10th blog, he says not to use starch either. His argument is that it makes unnatural honeycombs. Mostly just horizontal creases, rather than actually combing.

What I meant was that if you wear jeans that are damp because of water/starch, the look of the honeycombs will be decided by just a few different movements that you make while the jeans are still wet, instead of hundreds of thousands, like it would if you didn't use starch.

This of course means that the honeycombs will take on a look that is not natural.

The thing about horisontal creases is more because of the fit of the jeans, tight jeans only get horisontal creases and no real honeycomb-pattern.

I'm not saying not to use starch because of some aesthetic reason having to do with wear purity, I think you should avoid the stuff because it's going to actually degrade and rot your denim, not to mention make it smell worse more quickly which will necessitate more frequent washing.

I've been reading all this stuff about people using spray starch on their jeans and then not washing them for a hella long time. I have some raw denims and I know about wearing for a long time, but you guys should know if you're gonna wear them a lot and keep adding starch that's a recipe for disaster.

Starch is basically the perfect food for bacteria. If you keep adding it to your jeans all the bacteria on your body is just going to eat that shit up and the jeans will get SUPER nasty. Not to mention the bacteria will start to break the denim down too and weaken it. If you're gonna wear for a year you're probably better off not using the starch or, if you wanna use starch, wash them a little bit more frequently.

I know some people on here are gonna be like "but starch is MADE for clothing, dry cleaners use it on shirts blah blah" but you don't wear a starched shirt every day for 6 months do you? :)

hey... youre a dick.

i signed on to honest forum to find out about some diesels i found at a thrift store and you basicly made fun of me for even having them...

fuck you you fucking douche-bag... go back to your diesel forum.

hey... youre a dick.

i signed on to honest forum to find out about some diesels i found at a thrift store and you basicly made fun of me for even having them...

Hey man, I remember you. I think you're confused about my response tho:

http://www.honestforum.com/diesel/31141-finally-found-some-diesels-i-like.html

I never made fun of you for them. I made fun of the word "slubby" which to this day makes me chuckle. :)

hey... youre a dick.

i just read the thread you were talking about and i don't see how he made fun of you. the only thing...MAYBE, was when he said "kulter is VERY old and discontinued." which is true.

or when he said "What the hell does slubby mean? Sounds like a parasite or a venerial disease LOL"...which he obviously said in a joking manner.

other than that, i think he took alot of time to try to help you out. with all of those links he posted of other fits that you may like

I'm not saying not to use starch because of some aesthetic reason having to do with wear purity, I think you should avoid the stuff because it's going to actually degrade and rot your denim, not to mention make it smell worse more quickly which will necessitate more frequent washing.

i don't think starch is necessarily perfect medium for bacteria. if indeed pure glucose, that yes, bacteria can use it to grow. but seriously, unless you live in the tropics, bacteria isn't just growing all the time in the starch on your jeans. it's like incubation. I highly doubt bacteria is growing and reproducing on the starch of my jeans the day after thanksgiving in 45 degree weather...

Okay, no science here, but the experience I've had with using lots of startch = a bit more prone to becoming...I dunno...just gross feeling.

Not really sure how else to say it.

I guess when I think about wearing in a pair of dry jeans, I think back to the way they were worn when Levi's was realizing that their exposed rear pocket rivets were scratching the hell of saddles. I'm talking about when men wore the shit out of their jeans because of how hard they worked in them every day.

No starching...just wear, and washing from time to time because they were getting dirty. I would just suggest wearing your jeans...not getting too caught up in the way your honeycombs are looking. Just wear em' and the results will come naturally.

cowboys did starch their jeans....I agree with you though. There have been a recent influx of n00bs who refuse to use the search and also seem to point out really stupid points just for the sake of conversation. There is no definitive guide to anything in life. So, despite what you might read on horrible's blog(no offense horrible, but alot of people seem to quote your blog like the gospel), or read on the bear's site for measuring through google translator, you are not wrong in any sense. Make your own decisions and wear your own jeans. These aren't fucking museum pieces, deal with it.