loopwheeler

Brienneoftarth

2000dB, have you had a chance to check out the new sizing? I've heard a lot of mixed information about the LW09, any idea what the size small measures across the chest before a wash?

I haven't measured the hoodies, but I'm 183cm (6') and 62kg (137lbd) and a medium fitted me pretty well. Slmi but not too tight, the only concern was the length, but it was far from unwearable. I usually wear S or M and that was with a medium black lw-09.

• 2 weeks later...

i am beginning to think william gibson is a superfuturian.

from his blog:

Saturday, November 25, 2006

"MAKING ORDINARY THINGS ORDINARY"

I've never seen a Loopwheeler sweatshirt, but this tour of their manufacturing process has me sold.

Such a perfectly simple philosophy, yet how difficult (indeed, how splendidly impractical) it is to actually produce such "ordinary" things. But "ordinary" in this sense means something like "the things of which most other things have become simulacra". Almost all denim jeans, for instance, are now simulacra of "ordinary" denim jeans, which have become almost impossible to find (as new product). The simulacra-ization of jeans now means that the "distressing" process (faking the result of "ordinariness" + wear) probably takes longer than the actual manufacturing, something I find quite spooky. The downside of making something in the "ordinary" way is that the "ordinary" product winds up being quite expensive, by virtue of how genuinely difficult it is to make -- though still not as expensive as high-end "designer" products that we're expected to pay a great deal for by virtue of their supposed remarkable unordinariness. Yet the "ordinary" garment invariably possesses a higher literal unordinariness quotient. The odds of your finding the "ordinary" at the mall are nil, and there aren't even any Loopwheeler products on eBay today (I just checked).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...