Skincare recommendations

2000dB

Alright im gonna check that, right now i use clearasil cleaning pads, + nivea men moisturizer , it make my face look more clear, but until i wash it lol.

I have another appointement with a dermatologist tuesday ( i live in canada, so appointement is refunded ) so ill see what he suggest, to go with accutane or to go with a classic benzoyl cream. 

i mean sometime i have clear skin and then i wake up and have lot of acne, fuckin suck lol. im gonna try those products you told me.

and BTW , man i drink so much water, only fuckin water, like 10-15 glass a day and always did that. change nothing to my fuckin skin

Edited by aymerikmd

Mario Badescu has always been good to my skin. Silver powder is a godsend for blackheads. I swapped from cetaphil to one of his cleansers recently and it's much better for me. Same texture, non-drying, but just with more healing ingredients. 

Alright im gonna check that, right now i use clearasil cleaning pads, + nivea men moisturizer , it make my face look more clear, but until i wash it lol.

I have another appointement with a dermatologist tuesday ( i live in canada, so appointement is refunded ) so ill see what he suggest, to go with accutane or to go with a classic benzoyl cream. 

i mean sometime i have clear skin and then i wake up and have lot of acne, fuckin suck lol. im gonna try those products you told me.

and BTW , man i drink so much water, only fuckin water, like 10-15 glass a day and always did that. change nothing to my fuckin skin

Maybe look into your diet. Look into organic foods and meats. I stopped eating meat  all together when Iwas 15 and the spots died down along with it.

Maybe look into your diet. Look into organic foods and meats. I stopped eating meat  all together when Iwas 15 and the spots died down along with it.

yeah maybe, like i said i really dont eat shit, ill try to avoid fast food most of the time when i can, i only drink water / coffee, and eat mostly fruits, vegetables, meats only for diner.

don't forget, you're only 18 - as i said, i suffered pretty badly from acne until i was at least 21 and many people have issues into their 30's. don't stress about it too much, we all have very different skin so just do lots of research and try different methods.

just been to the dermatologist today,

first one told me to go on accutane ( because of my upper back where i have cystic acne, its really not a big spot, small but still suck, thats why he told me accutane, not cause of my face )

the second one today gave me a little kit that cost fuckin 100 $

obagi-clenziderm-md-systems.jpg

consist of cleanser, pore rinse and benzoyl cream, with pills.

like most dermatologist he told me diet or foods have NO impacts on acne, even tho many people say it have.

He told me to not moisturize my face at all cause we want my skin to be dry as possible for that treatment, in my head that doesnt sound good lol , dry skin

ive tried that kit before, ive saw a small difference in my skin, i was suposse to take it for 5 months and didnt take it seriously , did like 2 months and not everyday. So im trying it again this time seriously. if this doesnt work, which he said would really surprise him, i should go on accutane. even tho im not really down for it.

and btw those 2 dermatologist are like the best rated ever at my place.

Edited by aymerikmd

• 2 weeks later...

^ probs just anti-biotics. stick to it, you'll see it working if you complete the regimen after a month at least. moisturizing isn't really good if you have acne bad enough to be considered a problem, why would you want more grease and oil? 

good luck!

surprised retin-a hasn't been mentioned yet, but i just got started on it. i've heard it does wonders for acne, scars, wrinkles and other fine lines on the face - the downside is that it might take months before any visible results, and some people experience nasty purging in the form of cystic acne for weeks. scary, but im gonna give it a shot.

read this: http://jezebel.com/277896/perfect-skin-in-365-grueling-days-the-wonders-of-retin+a-micro

also try using cerave products - their moisturizer is great.

will keep you guys updated

Edited by flyordie

almost half of a month using clenziderm and anti biotics and i must say i see a huge improvement right now, almost no pimples anymore, the one that i have right now are disappearing slowly, overall my skin is really much dry then before, thats the whole point i guess.

anyways i dont wanna say its magic cause its just been half a month since ive started it but right now my skin is really much clearer and nicer then before.

So guys what do you use for skin care?

my skin is kinda oily, what can i use? and for dark circles around eyes? help

Don't moisturize, your skin is oily enough. Use a gentle face wash that doesn't soak up all the oil, like Cetaphil, it's quite cheap. Use toner as well and some of those oil soaking paper pads if it's a bother throughout the day. For dark circles I'd say anything with collagen in it, just go to your local skin care place and they'll help you with most of this anyway. Do you have acne/blackheads? 

I would actually recommend moisturizing, makes you skin produce less sebum. Sebum cloggs up your pores and gets infected. I use an oil free moisturizer. I used to have a really spotty and oily skin. I get break-out now and again, but hardly as brutal as before. I have a liniment with clindamycin when I do break out though.  

Edited by sundance_kid

• 4 weeks later...

surprised retin-a hasn't been mentioned yet, but i just got started on it. i've heard it does wonders for acne, scars, wrinkles and other fine lines on the face - the downside is that it might take months before any visible results, and some people experience nasty purging in the form of cystic acne for weeks. scary, but im gonna give it a shot.

yes! tretinoin is a wonderful drug, but you should try generic tretinoin before you get retin-a; it's much cheaper and just as effective for the vast majority of people

and for dark circles around eyes? help

For dark circles I'd say anything with collagen in it, just go to your local skin care place and they'll help you with most of this anyway.

unfortunately, applying collagen topically is pointless because the molecules are too large to be absorbed and utilized by our skin

you can stimulate collagen production, but the topical options for that can get pretty costly and ethically suspect

just about anyone will tell you the best remedies for dark circles are more sleep, more water, less stress, and a better diet, but everyone wants a single, miraculous product that requires no other changes in their lifestyle

the truth is, products are usually not enough, and what works for me and many other people might not work for you

looking through the most reputable products is a good start, and in the meantime, you can use tea bags

• 2 months later...

question that i ask myself often,

why all dermatologist tell me that i need my skin to be really dry to clear acne properly but when i look online , 
it always say i need to use a moisturizer to balance-off, while docs say i shoulndt use one at all.

always confused the shit out of me

with my current experience with dermatologist, i must say there pretty shitty and just recommend chemical products.

EDIT; Just bought neutrogena mix skin oil free moisturizer, i find my skin really too dry, its like its peelin off at some place

Edited by aymerikmd

recommendation for a face scrub?

What about battling in-grown hair...this is probably the worst for me. My skin can be completely clear but then get a really bad blemish around my facial hair region. been really contemplating laser therapy but it is $$$

If you use a good face scrub and keep moisturized you shouldn't run into many in-grown hairs. St Ive's apricot scrub is decent for the money, but the new scrub game is all about the clarisonic mia. Keeps your skin looking nice and matte while preventing in-grown hairs. I much prefer using my clarisonic mia to a face scrub because it allows me to use my favorite malin and goetz cleanser simultaneously.

heard that toner arent really necessary at all guys. and can harm your skin on long term ( even if no alcohol )

it isn't really necessary for anyone, so i don't recommend it for people who haven't already become accustomed to using it 

toners became popular when cleansers were still quite primitive and left substantial residues after washing, but no one should have that problem in this day and age even if they're using hard water

however, i can see why guys would like to use toner throughout the day to remove oil since it's actually supposed to be applied immediately after cleansing, and that's mainly why it's harmful

recommendation for a face scrub?

What about battling in-grown hair...this is probably the worst for me. My skin can be completely clear but then get a really bad blemish around my facial hair region. been really contemplating laser therapy but it is $$$

If you use a good face scrub and keep moisturized you shouldn't run into many in-grown hairs. St Ive's apricot scrub is decent for the money, but the new scrub game is all about the clarisonic mia. Keeps your skin looking nice and matte while preventing in-grown hairs. I much prefer using my clarisonic mia to a face scrub because it allows me to use my favorite malin and goetz cleanser simultaneously.

exfoliating brushes and pads are definitely superior to scrubs, but i think the electric brushes are pretty frivolous unless you have debilitating arthritis or something like that

even this brush is rather expensive for what it accomplishes

i'm sure you can find something just as effective and cheaper at your local pharmacy

^appreciate the suggestions

So, I just look for a facial exfoliating brush and a simple facial cleanser to use together it seems. I take it your face will also take some time to get use to the brush if you have sensitive skin since it seems the bristle look stiff. FWIW I use a badger brush when shaving to apply the cream. Are exfoliating brushes any softer or harder? 

And any suggestions on a cleanser? I use Paula Choice products (2% BHA liquid). Bought the toner and stopped using it after first time, just seemed frivolous since I have been using the 2% BHA for so long now. Any other brands I should be aware of? Trying to avoid OTC products as independent cosmetic type brands seem more conscious in avoiding adding bad chemicals. 

I swear by malin and goetz grapefruit facial cleanser, but maybe since you are familiar with Paula's Choice you can try their cleanser with a scrubber. Also, most hand scrubbers use plastic bristles and they are available in varying stiffness depending on skin sensitivity. http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/cleansers/_/Skin-Balancing-Oil-Reducing-Cleanser/

if you have sensitive skin i'd be very cautious over using exfoliants and brushes. shaving is already a form of exfoliation, and you don't need to exclusively exfoliate more than once or twice a week. it starts to really wear on your skin.

some of the ingredients also have really rough particles that can do more harm than good.

i started using cetaphil face wash & cetaphil spf moisturizer and i finally returned to a neutral feeling oil balance. i was using organic face washes for a while which would just dry my face out really badly in which case i would over moisturize and have really oily looking skin.

i put on coconut oil at night w my moisturizer, and for the day a light coat of spf 15 moisturizer. it's been working great so far.

^i'll keep that in mind. I plan on exfoliating 2-3 times out of 7 days, and clean with the Paula's Choice face cleanser regularly, otherwise. I plan on using my current badger brush I use to lather up my shaving cream. I like the feel against my skin and it is soft enough. Just not sure if I need a finer brush to get the best exfoliation. We will see...

Haha, great to see that Aesop has quite a following over here! I am able to answer most if not all of the questions you guys have regarding its skincare line :)

My skin is kind of oily with acne from time to time...

I've been using these products before with an OK result. Now I think I can get a better result with other products.

Oil control foam wash: http://goo.gl/T3dtyn

Oil control daily moisturizer: http://goo.gl/gy5hXx

The main reason I bought these was to try something new, bought it at the pharmacy.

Do you have any suggestions regarding Aesop and similar products?

Ps. I'm 23 years old, so I know that I'll have to be patient with my skin. I use those products twice a day, on the morning and before bed.

Edited by house

My skin is kind of oily with acne from time to time...

I've been using these products before with an OK result. Now I think I can get a better result with other products.

Oil control foam wash: http://goo.gl/T3dtyn

Oil control daily moisturizer: http://goo.gl/gy5hXx

The main reason I bought these was to try something new, bought it at the pharmacy.

Do you have any suggestions regarding Aesop and similar products?

Ps. I'm 23 years old, so I know that I'll have to be patient with my skin. I use those products twice a day, on the morning and before bed.

Hi there! Regarding your skin, I would advise the Amazing Face Cleanser, Bitter Orange Astringent Toner and the Oil Free Hydrating Serum as a moisturizer. Basically what you are going to use depends on your skin's sensitivity and the weather too. Compared to the cream moisturizer you are using, the OFHS is made from aloe vera, so expect it to be much lighter and less hydrating, although it is more forgiving on acne-prone skin. The BOAT has very good anti-microbial properties, you can even use a cotton pad and apply it on the spot itself for a few moments. These should be the basis of your cleansing regime unless there are specifics that need to be addressed. For exfoliant and mask wise, you can go for the Chamomile Anti-Blemish Masque, as well as the Tea Tree Leaf Facial Exfoliant. As a spot on treatment, the Control is great with Salicylic Acid, AHA and BHA. You can apply it before you go to bed, over the moisturizer. With all that being said, I do hope you visit your nearest Aesop boutique to get yourself some samples to try and to test for allergies. Don't spend your money based on reviews; not everyone has the same skin type/concerns. If there are any adverse reaction you would know from the first sachet. Also, what I said here is meant to be a rough guide, it would be best if you can get in touch with a consultant as he or she would know better seeing you in person. I hope you visit the boutique nearest to you soon, and hopefully you will like it! Cheers!