Bicyclettes

canice

Can anyone speak to the quality/inherent shittiness, of any of the ebay "whole sale" fixies. My littlest brother is about to buy one.

Crosslake sales

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180324919443

Dawes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130284100366

Clips and straps are the easiest to get used to... just wait until you go clipless ha.

The thing about those bikes are that they're put together with SHIT parts (especially that Dawes) and they're going to be slightly heavier. If you're not going to get serious or at least really interested in bikes then I say go for it, but if you're going to actually care and stuff you shouldn't get those. You'll want to upgrade in no time and will end up spending more than you would have if you just spent a little more for a better starter bike. I'd suggest getting one from a shop or... if you're REALLY pushed for money check out Bikesdirect and not those ebay shops.

You can always get a cheaper nice bike on craigslist, or if you want, spend a little more for like a bianchi pista or something.

brakeless and no pedal cages? seriously?

Hey guys. Pretty new to biking in general. Would this Masi frame be a good deal?

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1017130377.html

Also, I'm around 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. Thanks.

that sounds about right for your size. i'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam so i have to ride a 52 with a ton of seatpost (i ain't got no torso). you can always get a shorter stem if it's a little too big. that stem on there looks enormous.

So I guess someone had the balls to bring a cutter to uni today and tried to take my bike. There's a dent on the seat tube, presumably from trying to cut my rear lock cable. It's a tiny dent, and it shouldn't affect anything, but damn is it an eye sore...

Fucking asshole

</vent>

at least your bike's still here...

yep, i don't recommend it.

I don't know how people ride like this, it sucks (not just for braking, either)

you gotta fix that shit, son! pedals are cheap, hell i'll even send you some at bike shop price + shipping if you're hard up. i'm super opposed to the brakless sans clips deal.

anyone use clipless? ive been considering it.

on what kind of bike? for racing or commuting? if commuting get eggbeaters and mtb shoes. if racing mtb get eggbeaters and mtb shoes. if racing road/track get look pedals and road shoes with carbon soles.

theyll actually be for my track bike, which i do ride alot on the streets and through traffic. i did look at both the "look" one-ways and speedplays but both are different animals. mind you, i try to avoid skidding but would like to know if the foot retention is there when running these types of pedals.

Speedplay > Eggbeaters.

they are two completely different types of pedals for completely different styles of cycling.

theyll actually be for my track bike, which i do ride alot on the streets and through traffic. i did look at both the "look" one-ways and speedplays but both are different animals. mind you, i try to avoid skidding but would like to know if the foot retention is there when running these types of pedals.

listen, if you're going to be commuting on this instead of racing, you don't want to use road pedals. they're purposely hard to get in and out of (high speeds, don't want to unclip when sprinting) and if you don't want to have to change shoes every time you stop to go into a store or whatever you should get mtb pedals and mtb shoes. road shoes have no traction or cleat on the shoe and it's really awkward to walk around in them. eggbeaters are the best, all of my friends commute on some style of crank bros pedals. as for shoes, try on a bunch and see what you like.

oh and as for foot retention, all pedals have a very specific way of unclipping that would be very hard to do when not unclipping on purpose (or if for some reason you like to twist your heels when skip/skidding?) so don't worry about that. cyclocross racers tend to rock eggbeaters because they're light, quick and easy to get out of so they can dismount quickly and often.