Bicyclettes

canice

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit; 45 minutes ago, roughly, I got bloody run over by a car at a junction. Four police cars and one ambulance later I am fine but my bikes totalled.

Reason I'm sharing this, is that I'd like to remind people to be very vigilant when on the roads, I always thought "shit like that never happens to me". You can be following every rule in the book, but some idiot in their metal box can "not see" you and that's that.

Now I'm off to cry over my bike.

• 3 weeks later...

was at the finish of the Tour of California Stage 4 yesterday and caught part of it this morning

never been to a pro bike race before, seeing the finish was dope especially since it was one of my fave riders that won n my old coach that got second

and damn are those podium girls fineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• 1 month later...

How did this thread get 400+ pages and is now dead :(

I just got into bikes because I had to get a commuter. 2nd hand racing bikes are expensive from May on in Berlin so I found an old Peugeot for 90€. I since replaced the rusty wheels, going to replace the weird handle bar with something straight and got dura ace brakes on ebay for 35€. Pictures when I'm done to revive the thread.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm selling my Peugeot because I got a good deal on a recent Campagnolo equipped Botecchia (pictures once I replace the silly handlebar and cover the ridiculous tribal style writings on it). 

PQ1bZua.jpg

UjSzkdy.jpg

K0hUNd1.jpg

vseCvbP.jpg

What it looked like when I bought it:
fhGaIfe.jpg
Edited by freecat

nice!  seems pretty ready. r u running a full campy group on it?

just went out for the 1st time in forever yesterday after an endless oddesy of bike repairs/running/laziness it

i did a ride i used to do pretty regularly and it kicked my ass, gotta get back in the swing of things i guess

is anyone on strava?

It's got mostly Campy Xenon equipment except for the brakes, cassette and hubs which are from Miche Performance (and aren't bad at all). I have a straight handlebar + horns that I have to adapt to it (I am not satisfied with the visibility while riding on the grips), I will also get a second drink holder because I often ride with 2 beers !

nice!  seems pretty ready. r u running a full campy group on it?

just went out for the 1st time in forever yesterday after an endless oddesy of bike repairs/running/laziness it

i did a ride i used to do pretty regularly and it kicked my ass, gotta get back in the swing of things i guess

is anyone on strava?

I'm on strava and MapMyRide, although I use MMR more just because I've had more workouts logged.

freecat, what's your concern with visibility when riding on the hoods? Straightbar/bullhorns look kind of weird and out of place on a road bike to me, but functionality-wise you're losing a lot of positionining by switching from drops.

Well I only use my bike for commuting (+ riding at this empty airport next to where I live sometimes) and my favorite position is with my hands straight on the bar, when I'm on the hoods I have to flex my neck which makes me feel less comfortable and reduces my lateral visibility. I agree on straightbars/bullhorns looking a bit off on road bikes though.

• 3 months later...

Haven't posted here in forever. Glad I saw this thread; time to end my hiatus. I've been riding this Brooklyn Machine Works Gangsta Track the past couple of years. I'm thinking about getting canti mounts brazed on and throwing on some knobby tires for the winter.

ScreenShot2013-12-11at85350PM_zps2ef7ea9

Edited by indirectdelete

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody riding through the winter? I'm hoping to keep commuting. Need to get some warmer clothes and mudguards

I am still commuting to work although it's getting a bit chilly outside (0-5°C). I recently bought a Gore Bike Wear Tool Softshell and I'm fine with a merino base layer (a must, cotton will kill you), some Endura Humvee pants, Pearl Izumi gloves + normal sneakers.

JTOOLP9900_1.jpg?sw=500&sh=500

On another note, I got this frame for pretty much nothing back in early November (75€ shipped) and decided to make myself a single speed to see how hard it would be with a recent road frame and if I could manage to stay under the 250€ barrier. I collected bargains here and here, emptied my drawers and bought a couple of things new and here is the result:

uw6kUyY.jpg

vx2wW1e.jpg

K0I3CQg.jpg

Edited by freecat

• 4 weeks later...

friend is giving me an old steel road bike. Bit of rust through the frame - might get it sandblasted and powdercoated or something similar.

not sure if I should try to build a bike on the cheap or trade in on a second hand alum road bike (not ridden much road/for a v. long time and haven't done any building before). components on it look shot to hell.

on one hand I'd defs be interested in trying my hand at a build. on the other I feel like maybe having a bike to ride in the short term is a better option...