Bicyclettes

canice

It's a prime number. Since the number of skid spots is equal to the number of teeth on the cog divided by the GCF of the number of teeth on the cog and the chainring, you get the most possible skid spots if the number of teeth on cog and chainring are relatively prime. And since every number that's smaller than a prime is relatively prime to it, I can use any cog I want and not worry about having all my skidding happen in one place.

oooooooohhhhhh... I wasn't sure what you were getting at. I thought you were gonna post a picture or something and then forgot haha.

Yeah lemme think on it just a little. I'm currently running 53x18, which is too much (5.8) and running 48x18 would get me 5.2. I was hoping to find a 50t so I could run 5.5, but lemme think on it.

I forget but is running 3/32" chainring a problem w/ a 1/8" cog, or is it just a little louder?

I mean I'm running a 1/8" chain, so if it's on a 3/32" chainring it's just noisy.

But I think the chainring I currently have is 3/32" as well...ya give me until thurs/fri and I will let you know.]]Only problem is that the skid patch number is 3..I don't skid much but hm..

I mean I'm running a 1/8" chain, so if it's on a 3/32" chainring it's just noisy.

But I think the chainring I currently have is 3/32" as well...ya give me until thurs/fri and I will let you know.]]Only problem is that the skid patch number is 3..I don't skid much but hm..

Ya its a change dropping ratios I went from 78 gear inches to 68, it just made it more of an easier ride to start and stop in my opinion. Sounds good, I guess I will wait to hear from you.

I'm too lazy to do this, but you might not be: you can rotate your tire a bit every so often to deal with this.

or take the chain off and "move" the cog/ wheel a few teeth in either direction.

lol.. isnt that the same thing as rotating your tire?

i mean, when someone says rotate the tire, did you really imagine they meant, take the tire off of the rim and rotate it a couple inches? then remount and reinflate?

wow haha that would be a bitch haha..

i remember when i used to run my gear ratio at 48X16 :[ and every time i'd get to the bottom of the hills here, i'd have to rotate my tire.. good thing i bumped to 18t, but even now i'm killing tires :[ so i am going to 17t asap.

276407652.jpg

gnite gmorning all..

It's a prime number. Since the number of skid spots is equal to the number of teeth on the cog divided by the GCF of the number of teeth on the cog and the chainring, you get the most possible skid spots if the number of teeth on cog and chainring are relatively prime. And since every number that's smaller than a prime is relatively prime to it, I can use any cog I want and not worry about having all my skidding happen in one place.

So, what ratio gives the most skid patches?

Perfect, thanks! I think I should go for this:

"43/15 can't be further simplified, so there would be 15 skid patches". Sounds fun!

Anybody riding this radio in the city? Right now I just have the stock stuff that came with my pista, so 48/16.

with brake right??

Perfect, thanks! I think I should go for this:

"43/15 can't be further simplified, so there would be 15 skid patches". Sounds fun!

Anybody riding this radio in the city? Right now I just have the stock stuff that came with my pista, so 48/16.

bigger cogs and chainrings provide less (and at that, more even) wear on your drive train. i ride 47/16, which works out pretty well. prime numbers are your friend.

I always thought your username was kentheboob...

I dont kno.

lol really? DUM called me kenthenood, but i don't know if he misread it...

canice, i remember reading about you learning to skid and i'm just wondering... do you use your brakes more than you skid?

with brake right??

Don't have one now, and don't plan on getting one.

bigger cogs and chainrings provide less (and at that, more even) wear on your drive train. i ride 47/16, which works out pretty well. prime numbers are your friend.

You're saying the only issue with having a smaller cog and chainring is that it will wear out my drivetrain faster? Also, I don't see much reason to buy a new chain ring to drop just one, I'm already on 48/16, except for the prime number of course.

canice, i remember reading about you learning to skid and i'm just wondering... do you use your brakes more than you skid?

i never skid anymore unless it's to get out of a hairy situation. if you keep your eyes far enough ahead, you can rely solely on backpressure and skips to slow down. brakes are for when i'm feeling lazy, which is most days. and i like the ride of more expensive tires.

You're saying the only issue with having a smaller cog and chainring is that it will wear out my drivetrain faster? Also, I don't see much reason to buy a new chain ring to drop just one, I'm already on 48/16, except for the prime number of course.

that's the only reason i know of. but it's a good reason. track chainrings aren't cheap.

i'm not suggesting you also use 47/16, only that you should pick a combination with prime numbers, but is relatively high in tooth count.

How is it that prime numbers are make better gearing?

Technically they just need to be relatively prime, but here's my post from the last page.

mathpwrja4.gif

you need a headset press to install the headset. take it to a bike shop and have them install it. excess steerer tube is entirely personal preference. i have longer legs (since im a girl) so i have an extra inch above the headtube to even out the saddle-to-stem height difference.

If I have an extra inch or so on the steer tube of the fork, I just ad spacers inbetween the frame and stem? Thanks