Bicyclettes

canice

So my bike has started making noises, coming from the crank/drive train. It never happened before, I don't know why it's doing it now.

It's like a creak whenever I apply a lot of pressure to the cranks to stop. I tried tightening the cranks even more but I don't think that helped that much...

What can it be? Extra strain on the chainring?

Another reason to have an Aerospoke is because they are so god damn tough. You can treat it like a BMX bike bunnyhopping shit and it won't fail you, well maybe unless you're fat.

lol that's why i have mine, for both reasons.. haha

tough wheel!

So my bike has started making noises, coming from the crank/drive train. It never happened before, I don't know why it's doing it now.

It's like a creak whenever I apply a lot of pressure to the cranks to stop. I tried tightening the cranks even more but I don't think that helped that much...

loose chainring bolts? is there more play than usual?

i'm sure it's been done, but i can't remember having this debate here...

so brakes or no brakes?

i was messin around with my bike the other day and ended up doing something that i can't seem to undo where the pull on the brake lever is too short, so when i pull the lever all the way, the brake pads still aren't touching the wheel. anyway, long story short, i took the brake off and rode around the past couple days and i like it... but i'm scared i'll die soon.

did you loosen the brake nut that holds the cable taut? don't ride brakeless, that's for idiots and people who haven't quite learned from the misfortunes of others how a brake can save you.

@ canice: was your homie running a road wheel with a fixxer? their track wheel should give a straight chainline...

no it's a track wheel. i believe he's riding bmx cranks though, so that might be the problem?

Like Canice sed, chainring bolts. Same happened to me. I thought it was the chain, rear wheel, etc etc. But for me it was my chainring bolts. Take them off, clean them, then put that glue stuff. Fuck, I forgot the name of it. You kno wat Im talking about, but Im just completely braindead right now.

Another reason to have an Aerospoke is because they are so god damn tough. You can treat it like a BMX bike bunnyhopping shit and it won't fail you, well maybe unless you're fat.

You callin me fat, nigga?

Im gettin rid of mine, because I live next to the water, so always too windy to ride with an Aerospoke.

But it does look hot.

Yeremy, wen we finna gonna ride son?

My legs got their groove back.

My bolts are plenty tight. I don't want to apply loctite because I'm not settled on using this size chainring yet..

I have a new bottom bracket, but (silly me) I didn't have a tool for the sealed BB so I had to improvise and I couldn't get the last 4mm of the BB into the hole..maybe that's why hah

if its loose ball, this is definitely a possibility. probably not so much with sealed ones. you can take it to a shop to have them check out unless you want to try repacking yourself. its not hard, but takes a good white the first time you do it.

if you take off your nuts, lock nuts and cones, it'll expose the bearings... loose ball are, well, just loose ball bearings and sealed will look just like skateboard bearings. do this slowly in case it is loose ball to avoid anything falling out. putting it back together will require a cone wrench and an adjustable wrench.

I have Sugino 75 BB. Are they considered sealed or loose? Adjustable? Cartridge? Thanks.

So in regards to this brakelss brake debate, I was looking at getting a new front brake. What do I need to know interms of measurements for what brake to buy. As well any recommendations? Thanks

Hiii..any road bike brake is finee as long as ur fork aint 27". If u have a 27" fork use a long reach, which can be old school BMX or any Old school roadies would have it.

Where u located? if u r down under i give u a long reach for free.

i had this problem and i had no idea what it was, it ened up being two things. my chain need a little bit of lube and my pedals as well. but it sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket.

anyone want to sell some aerospokes? or at least a front?

Hiii..any road bike brake is finee as long as ur fork aint 27". If u have a 27" fork use a long reach, which can be old school BMX or any Old school roadies would have it.

lol...

if you're down under, he'll give you a long reach for free!

ehhy ehhy! haha *wink*

lol... nohomo

i should really sleep earlier haha.:cool:

awsomeness at my lbs i found a spa-3 spanner from park tools for 5 bucks... it was the last one and it was sooo old the case for it was yellowing. On another note. What do you carry on your person when you bike (other then your personal stuff ie.wallet,keys,cell)?

me:

15mm

mini pump

spare tube

patch kit

tire levers

Thanks for the info, nope not downunder but thanks for the offer, I think a regular road break will work.

awsomeness at my lbs i found a spa-3 spanner from park tools for 5 bucks... it was the last one and it was sooo old the case for it was yellowing. On another note. What do you carry on your person when you bike (other then your personal stuff ie.wallet,keys,cell)?

me:

15mm

mini pump

spare tube

patch kit

tire levers

You really don't need all that. Most guys I know who do 20 mile rides around the city don't carry anything but a U-lock.

That's quite stupid of them. What happens if they get a flat?

Right now I carry:

Mini-tool

pump (might get a smaller one, currently have a small frame pump (blackburn))

patch kit

extra tube

u-lock

adjustable wrench

extra 2 links of chain

In regards to the creaking noise:

I took the chain off to see if it were the cranks/bb or chainring, and sound sttill was produced so it was the cranks/bb. I took the cranks off and regreased/cleaned the ends, and put them back on. I don't think there is a noise, but I know that I am using a Shimano BB w/ Sugino cranks, and the two of those have a slightly different taper hence for the problems. So I either need to sell my Sugino Superbe Pro cranks (170mm, for sale, I guess) or get a different BB w/ a japanese taper..

That's quite stupid of them. What happens if they get a flat?

Right now I carry:

Mini-tool

pump (might get a smaller one, currently have a small frame pump (blackburn))

patch kit

extra tube

u-lock

adjustable wrench

extra 2 links of chain

In regards to the creaking noise:

I took the chain off to see if it were the cranks/bb or chainring, and sound sttill was produced so it was the cranks/bb. I took the cranks off and regreased/cleaned the ends, and put them back on. I don't think there is a noise, but I know that I am using a Shimano BB w/ Sugino cranks, and the two of those have a slightly different taper hence for the problems. So I either need to sell my Sugino Superbe Pro cranks (170mm, for sale, I guess) or get a different BB w/ a japanese taper..

Shimano BB are japanese taper. Sugino are generally ISO.

Trying to convert my bike into a fixie. Do you guys recommend that I do it myself or that I pay a shop to do it for me? I'm a newb when it comes to this....some people are telling me that it's too hard for a beginner while others are saying that it's a good project...

Trying to convert my bike into a fixie. Do you guys recommend that I do it myself or that I pay a shop to do it for me? I'm a newb when it comes to this....some people are telling me that it's too hard for a beginner while others are saying that it's a good project...

imo good project to get to know your bike and how everything works.. but if you have a shop do it, you should stand next to the dude(ette), and ask them what's goin on..

it's also highly advisable to be waiting at the door right when the shop opens and ask them to start immediately.. then before they get too uncomfortable, put your hand on their shoulder and offer them some water or something.. your treat of course.... lol

breakfast!

im running sugino 75s on a shimano BB, no creaks. i was having the same problem, turned out to be my pedals. just needed to clean and regrease. i think i strippped the topnut on my headset. it screws on, but after a certain point it just comes off the fork. i just torqued it just enough so its tight, right before it will come offf the fork. fucking wierd. how much are top nuts? i should just go buy a king top nut. lol. ballin! man i need a headset wrench.