Bicyclettes

canice

So I tightend the slack of the chain, hopped on for a test of it, went to skid and had my legs keep going. The sprocket on the back hub came loose and left the chain spinning freely in both ways. So I took my back wheel off and tightened the sprocket onto the hub and gave it a try again. Same thing happened again, can someone help explain whats going on and what I can do to fix it?

To be honest I have no idea what is going on. I got the back wheel and everything converted at the shop. Would a picture help? The work order says I payed for a lockring, but it might not be on there?

514189640_ab4e60077a.jpg

This is what is looks like back there. Missing a lockring? How can I tell if it is a track hub or not?

A picture would definitely help. If they converted your old wheelset, that's what is known as a "suicide hub", where a cog is threaded onto the hub and (usually) secured with a bottom bracket lockring. It is not safe, because unlike a track hub, (which has reverse threading for the lockring) resistance on the pedals can cause the cog and lockring to both unthread themselves. On a track hub, resistance, or skidding, would cause the lockring to tighten itself up against the cog since it is threaded on oppositely. Sounds much more confusing than it really is.

Hope you at least have a front brake, lol.

To be honest I have no idea what is going on. I got the back wheel and everything converted at the shop. Would a picture help? The work order says I payed for a lockring, but it might not be on there?

514189640_ab4e60077a.jpg

This is what is looks like back there. Missing a lockring? How can I tell if it is a track hub or not?

YO!!

No lockring.

Please slap whoever forgot to put it on.

I can't believe those guys.

A picture would definitely help. If they converted your old wheelset, that's what is known as a "suicide hub", where a cog is threaded onto the hub and (usually) secured with a bottom bracket lockring. It is not safe, because unlike a track hub, (which has reverse threading for the lockring) resistance on the pedals can cause the cog and lockring to both unthread themselves. On a track hub, resistance, or skidding, would cause the lockring to tighten itself up against the cog since it is threaded on oppositely. Sounds much more confusing than it really is.

Hope you at least have a front brake, lol.

Skidding/back pressure will loosen your cog as it's normal threaded (righty tighty).

The lockring is what's reverse threaded.

Thanks Arevalo, I can just take my back wheel to the shop and get it put on super quick? So the lockring with allow me to skid without having the cog loosen? Thanks for all the help

installation of lockring takes round 5 minutes or less. Remember monitor the mechanic and learn. Hope they put a little bit of grease on the thread and crank the mother f#$ker on as hard as possible. Sometime use a pole to increase leverage to crank it on.

After tha u will be safe to skid.

PS: I had the same problems with slipping cog before until i got philwood cog and dura ace lockring. Awesome...

im having a fuker gettin my chain tension back after changing a flat,the clicking sound is driving me mad!

Seeing as you've got track dropouts you can just throw on some chain tugs and it'll be a piece of piss.

eaitugs.jpg

(This is what chain tugs look like in case you didn't know.)

The shop where you got your Pista from will probably stock them or alternatively try Hubjub.co.uk (they sell lots of shiny import fixed stuff like Nitto and EAI).

Its a white to red gradient.

This is my current whip:

sporttrackjm5.jpg

sporttrack2ro9.jpg

sporttrack3vv8.jpg

sporttrack4tk5.jpg

Straight outta moscow... Was all stock but I took of the tubular wheels.

(I know saddle is crooked, the seapost is designed for saddles that are flexible like a brooks, I cant get any tool under there to realign it.)

yea i do...is ur name the same on there?..mines the same as here just with a number 1 at the end..

Yup, same name.

I know you guys are mainly interested in fixed gear bikes here but perhaps some one could give me a hand identifying this style of bike:

NL_AMS_bike_c_rdax_279x400.jpg

Its like an old style french courier bike with metal mudguards and racks. As far as I know they are still popular in Europe. Does anyone know the correct names for these bikes? I want one for leasurely cruising around the city...but first I need to know what they are and even better who makes them!

I know you guys are mainly interested in fixed gear bikes here but perhaps some one could give me a hand identifying this style of bike:

Its like an old style french courier bike with metal mudguards and racks. As far as I know they are still popular in Europe. Does anyone know the correct names for these bikes? I want one for leasurely cruising around the city...but first I need to know what they are and even better who makes them!

That looks about like a French touring bicycle, called a Randonneur. Fun. Look into it.

That looks about like a French touring bicycle, called a Randonneur. Fun. Look into it.

A randonneur is a bike set up for a specific kind of light touring - well, more specifically the randonneur is the person who rides the bike, and the rides are called randonnées. Randonnées are usually relatively faced-paced rides that don't involve camping or over-night stays. You usually have to participate in a series of increasingly longer qualifying events called brevets before you can participate in a major randonnée like the Paris-Brest-Paris. Randonneuring bikes usually have a lot of the features you'd find on a touring frame, but still with a consideration for speed. The geometry won't be quite as upright/relaxed, but they will generally have canti brakes, lots of room for saddle bags/fenders/panniers/etc. Which is all to say that the bike pictured above is clearly a porteur, and not a bike meant for randonneuring.

A randonneur is a bike set up for a specific kind of light touring - well, more specifically the randonneur is the person who rides the bike, and the rides are called randonnées. Randonnées are usually relatively faced-paced rides that don't involve camping or over-night stays. You usually have to participate in a series of increasingly longer qualifying events called brevets before you can participate in a major randonnée like the Paris-Brest-Paris. Randonneuring bikes usually have a lot of the features you'd find on a touring frame, but still with a consideration for speed. The geometry won't be quite as upright/relaxed, but they will generally have canti brakes, lots of room for saddle bags/fenders/panniers/etc. Which is all to say that the bike pictured above is clearly a porteur, and not a bike meant for randonneuring.

That didn't clearly explain anything. Clearly.

Porteur bikes traditionally have a platform rack attached to the front forks (for delivering newspapers traditionally). Which that bike clearly does not. Porteur bikes, as far as I know, have a funky looking geometry too. You could throw some drops and some bags, lights and racks/baskets on the bike above, and it's easily a randonneur. Clearly.

Which is all to say that the bike pictured above is clearly described soley on the components attached to it. Although Porteur bikes traditionally have a different goemetry than randonneur bikes (even though Kogswell sells a porteur bike and also calls it a randonneur. Shame.) Clearly.