Bicyclettes

canice

i'm thinking about converting my old sekine into a fixed gear because the gears are so damn annoying and useless. what are the advantages? it seems like it would be hard going down a hill and having the peddles moving, how hard is it trying to force them in reverse? also, wont your tires ware down fairly quickly with all that skidding?

So for a Pista you could just switch out the hub and replace it with a flip-flop hub and you could go fixed or free? Where do the bikes that you used to ride as a kid with the push back oin pedals braking fit in? Canice you are quite knowledgable by chance would you know any bike shops to goto buy parts/ get help in Calgary, from all I have seen its mainly mountain bikes with the occassional street bike mixed in? Would you recommend any online shops that are in Canada?

If anyone would know I would guess Bowcycle, Ridley's Cycle in Kensington, or The Bike Shop on 11th. Not sure if you've ever been but Bowcycle is huge and there staff are pretty knowledgeable.

oooh man. my wheelset for my cheapie schwinn conversion is in order and being built this week. it's going to be a long/hard week.

it can be a bit of a pain going down a hill with your wheels/pedals and chain in a simultaneous dance... however a front brake (if you choose to install one) will help slow you down a bit. Also skidding/skipping/mini skips or skids/power slides or whatever other tactics you employ will help slow you down. If you're really gung ho and don't mind a bit of knee pressure (just don't over do it) resisting the pedals by pushing the back pedal down and pulling the front up will slow you down a bit. As aforementioned, when riding a fixie, your mindset and awareness go to a different level.

The advantages of riding a fixie is having the ability to modulate your speed by slowing your pedal cadence or resisting the motion. It makes for a smoother type of riding through traffic, especially if you couple it with trackstands which allow you to travel without ever putting your feet on the ground. Also the drivetrain continues forward momentum so you get an extra boost when you're going up hills. Coupled with the fact that you have a shorter chain than a geared bikes + less friction from the chain having to go through the derailer makes for a more efficient and zippier feeling. Plus you lose a couple ounces without the extra metal/parts.

Some people can burn through thick tires in a day, some can skid on tires for months. It all depends on your weight and riding style (and the terrain you are on). There's a lot of advantages to riding fixed... or better to say caveats. It's not for everybody.

Trust me-- I know the feeling mackelface. I used to think I'd never get into bikes... especially road bikes. I've gone bike nuts in the past 2 years and fixie crazy in the past year. I've finally worked up the funds and my enthusiasm has outweighed my guilt to finally build up a conversion.

...know any bike shops to goto buy parts/ get help in Calgary, from all I have seen its mainly mountain bikes with the occassional street bike mixed in?

The answer is

Campione Cycles Factory Outlet

100-906 12 Avenue SW

Calgary, AB T2R 1K7

(403) 228-0022

They don' t have a web presence. But they are everything fixie. The couriers hanging outside will confirm.

zelah, if you are a skilled rider, you will have skids, skips, rad stops, foot down skids, etc in y our arsenal for emergency stops. the nature of riding a fixed gear bike has you in a totally different mindset so you're paying a hell of a lot more of attention. plus, riding in shitty weather, a fixed setup is much more reliable when your brake doesn't stop your wheels because of water/ice/etc.

oh i completely know, i've been riding fixed/brakeless for a few years now and sure it is some next-level zen shit or whatever, but in no way, shape, or form can it be said that skids are just as effective as a front brake

you better get naaasty with that hed on the front... give yourself a little more stack on the front with some risers and hit some bar spins.

Amen to that. I have a Thomson stem for risers but no 31.8 risers.

Sometime next week, I'm on a tight budget till payday because of the bikeeeee.

HAHA! DALY CITY REPRESENT!

:cool::)

How do fixie's handle going down hill, do you just fly or is it fairly easy to maintain a slower controlled speed?

depends if you have a brake on there, it's fairly easy to stay moving slowly, but not as easy to slow down when going a lot quicker.

I think slowing on hills is harder working than pedalling up some.

since snow has started to melt and i've decided to get a fixie for the summer, i have a few questions if some of you would be nice enough to help out

-first of all, many of you mentionned buying an older frame and converting it to a fixie, however, i just don't really have the time or place to do that (my apartment is on the small side and has carpet...) so i was more leaning towards buying a a new fixie. anyway, i've checked around on the net, checked reviews and everything and i'm pretty set on buying a specialized langster, mostly cause most reviews i've read have been really good, and well mostly cause it's relatively cheap and easy to find. does it makes sense to buy new, or should i go and check around shops and everything to try to find a conversion? also, i know a lot ppl like to ride convertion cause there not big target from thieves so i'm also a little worried about getting a new bike cause of that.

-if i end buying the langster, i would like to do a few changes and i was wondering how easy it would be and how expensive if i choose to have them made by a shop. i'd really like to get some bmx/mountain bike type handle bars like on the DQM bikes somebody linked on the last page, so is that a fairly easy change ? i would probably want to keep the front brake at least for the beggining so would it be more complicated?

-also, i'm use to ride around in a mountain bike and i live in the pot holes capital of the world and i'm a bit worried that the wheels on a road bike won't hold up, i'll be getting too many flat tire, will crash a lot etc. i know montreal is not the only city with poor roads, but with the intense winters we get, pot holes are just everywhere and some of them are big enought to send you flying to the hospital. anyway, i'd like to get some input from ppl living in cities where there's snow if possible. i get distracted easily when riding (either from music, hot chicks on the sidewalk etc) so at least with a mountain bike, i don't end up crashing when i hit a pot hole i didn't see so i'm extremely worried what would happened with a road bike (and i know the easy answer would be to look at the road, but i guess i'm too much of an idiot).

-also, i live next to a the mountain here so wherever i go, i have to go up or down at least for a bit so i was wondering if the lack of gear wouldn't get annoying. i know there's a few members from SF where the tons of hills so any input on that would be much appreciated

-and last, it seems to me that most ppl who ride fixies spend a lot of time on their bikes, is it cause they really like it or cause fixies require more work than other bikes?

- buy a good lock

- switching to risers is easy. just get a brake lever meant for cyclocross. i suggest the tektro rx2.0, they are cheap, pretty and reliable.

- road slick tires can be reliable and flatproof (not that mtb tires are actually safer than road tires, btw). certain brands are great for that: specialized armadillos, continental gatorskins, vittoria rubinos i hear hold up well, my bontrager select b's eat glass like champs. basically anything with a kevlar belt will do you good.

- you will learn to avoid potholes not because it will ruin your wheels, but because it will make your crotch hurt.

- don't buy a fixed gear for fashion. a bike should, above all, be practical. if i lived in san francisco, for example, it would be moronic to buy a single speed. that said, unless you go to school at concordia (or whatever school is on the mont) or live ON the damn thing, i think you'll be okay. i know plenty of people who ride fixed in mtl and having been there, never experienced any inclines i couldn't walk/ride up.

- i spend a lot of time riding my bike, if that's what you mean by 'on'. my bike would be fine if i never touched it, but it's kind of like owning a sports car. you fawn.