Bicyclettes

canice

For what reasons? general boredom with the medium? or is it a specific issue or collection of issues that made you give up riding fixed on the street?

Mostly boredom. It's a lot more trouble than it's worth. And brakeless is especially dumb. Why bother having to skid and what not, when you can just use a brake. I save my track bike for the track.

When I'm at home, I ride around on this:

28365_1222029548306_1155960628_30989748_3772756_n.jpg

That picture's old, but I have a Brooks B17 and actual brake levers now.

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth. And brakeless is especially dumb.

I used to have a geared bike, and I find it waaay easier to maintain a track bike. Also, I have never dropped my chain.

We agree on brakeless tho.

Been looking at cross bikes and road, cant decide, but I'm sure Ill get one or the other soon.

BTW, is that you in the pic above? Looks soo fun!

I decided to get a road bike last night when I went on a moderate but leisurely group ride with a pace of about 25-28mph and we got lapped by a group of roadies...4 times.

I wanna be fast :|

I decided to get a road bike last night when I went on a moderate but leisurely group ride with a pace of about 25-28mph and we got lapped by a group of roadies...4 times.

roadies lapped you guys 4 times while you road 25-28mph? doesnt that mean theyre going 100 mph?

roadies lapped you guys 4 times while you road 25-28mph? doesnt that mean theyre going 100 mph?

Yes, of course thats what it means.

honestly I have never heard of a group ride averaging 25-28mph, much less leisurely. and to be lapped? That is really fast. Did you have a computer?

I rode fixed for awhile and still plan to some time in the future, but switched to road bikes for a change of pace. Went on my first challenging climb/descent and never looked back. You just can't do those two things on a fixed gear at a certain point.

they are two completely different experiences. I bet a challenging climb is amazing! I think it's ok to have multiple bikes. There are so many applications that two wheels can cover. If I had the funds, I would love to have a road bike, townie, and my track bike. But I can't afford all of those and my track bike is so versatile, so that is what I am focusing on.

25-28mph leisure ride? sure your computer is working right? if thats your leisure pace and you're riding more than 20miles you might want to start racing.

This is my bike, nothing special, just a fixie conversion, but hopefully I'll get to build it up a little more before the year is up.

5145435814_61679eaa19_z.jpg

To do list:

1. Front brake

2. Fenders

3. New BB

4. New seat post

5. Sugino messenger cranks

And I'm also thinking of buying the Knog NERD computer. Does anybody have any experience with it? All the reviews I've read say it's pretty good, but I figure I might as well see what sufu says.

edit: oh and I'd want to change the gearing from 52-16 to like 47-16 or something eventually. Although it's not like there are any hills here.

I rode with a ProTour team rider over the summer who was home visiting with his buddies from college.

We only rode at a 29kph pace or so, which is slower than I'd normally ride, but it was so smoothly ridden (unlike how I'd normally ride) I had to actually have good stroke for once and I was sore the next day.

Fuckin dude's a sprite though, and could probably Big Ring the Gavia.

Hello everyone.

I am a college student and I'm moving to Davis, California in the winter. Davis is a bike campus and I really want to buy a fixed gear bike to use there. I have saved up $500 dollars but I'm not sure where I should buy my fixie at. I prefer fixies over other bikes because its simple to ride, fast, looks nice, and I love the overall feel of it. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey supremekevin! Good luck on your shopping. I ride fixies. The best deals I've found are on bikesdirect.com

They have cheap complete bikes that will be great for a daily commuter, BUT I think all bikes are shipped in pieces, meaning you have to build them yourself. Which some might like. Free shipping and no tax!

Tricktrack.org has a good marketplace like sufu that's full of merchandise, but mostly trick heavy setups. You might score a good deal here.

Also, try your local craigslist if you don't mind used. There are a lot of capable people doing rebuilds for cheap. If it's your first fixie maybe used would be a good way to start.

4. New seat post

5. Sugino messenger cranks

edit: oh and I'd want to change the gearing from 52-16 to like 47-16 or something eventually. Although it's not like there are any hills here.

What's wrong with the post and cranks? They loook all good and suit the bike fine.

47-16 seems like a good idea as 52-16 is a pretty big ratio

What's wrong with the post and cranks? They loook all good and suit the bike fine.

47-16 seems like a good idea as 52-16 is a pretty big ratio

the seatpost is just wearing down after like a month's use. It would keep coming loose, and now the teeth that keep the angle of the saddle set are worn out. It's pretty bad.

I think i'm actually going to do 48-17, but i think i'll switch it out after I get the new crankset so i can just get an 1/8" chain with it and run a completely new drivetrain haha.

I have some of the 4Season OG pants and find them to be very good pants and at a good price point compared to technical pants from the likes of ACR or Veilance, or maybe more applicable for this thread, Rapha. I do highly doubt that construction workers have readily adopted their "workwear" pants, but it gives them an excuse to use another kind of fabric to create another product for their line. I am not sure that makes them assholes.
Schoeller fabric is really, really, really expensive and difficult to import. Price reflects materials, though I'm not getting a pair at that cost anytime soon myself either.

I have Swrve coated black jeans in size "30" but they are a 31-32 trim fit and don't fit me. Soaked only, to try and shrink, if anyone's interested.

So generally the consensus is that they're worth the quality and I should stop listening to whatever ktothe says in this thread.

also, I'm pretty sure Wolfpack LA rides at 26-28mph on their hustles and ain't no roadies gonna be lappin' their asses.

So generally the consensus is that they're worth the quality and I should stop listening to whatever ktothe says in this thread.

also, I'm pretty sure Wolfpack LA rides at 26-28mph on their hustles and ain't no roadies gonna be lappin' their asses.

I disagree on both points.

Wolfpack? More like Slothpack.

So, I'm trying to look around for some possible track frames. Basically something decent, 4130 CrMo, with a straight blade fork preferably. Can you guys think of any good bikes?

I've considered the volume cutter, eighthinch scrambler, bmw gangsta track, the various leader bikes, and some collabo bike from FTCsf, but i'm not sure how sold i am on any of them.

I'm not looking for a dedicated tricking frame or anything like that, just something i can go fast on and goof off with.

Oh and I'm not looking to spend more than like $500 on the frameset.

I want a fixie frame that will allow me to go 70MPH while only pedaling approximately 50 revolutions per minute. It also has to be made of a transparent metal, and cannot cost more than $250. I prefer drop bars, but am willing to settle for 'horns. Also, banana seat.

Thank you very much for help, in advance.