Bicyclettes

canice

how often do you guys pump up your tires?

the guy at the bike shop said I should pump em up every 3-4 days.

I pumped em up like once a month on my mountain bike, lol.

i check the pressure every time i ride. if it needs air, i add air. flats are such a pain in the ass, it's not worth not checking for the 2 seconds it takes.

im with jon on this one, check my tires with a little squeeze every time before riding, also check my chain tension, check my clips are tight and my headset isnt loose, then im off, takes 2 mins to check but could save me an hour in the rain changing a tyre or fixing a problem...

if you guys are skid-stopping how fast can you exactly stop?

( not a big fan of skidding cause it uses alot of my energy and i find that just slowing my pedaling is easier on me)

i usually hop more than i skid, because i'm a pretty big kid my momentum keeps me skidding. i also ride with a brake, so i only skid when i'm feeling saucy

my bikes all done! i'm gonna take pictures today and get em up here when i'm out of class

it's boring to talk about so save this and use it.

word. it would do some good to educate the people in this thread on the concept of skid patches.

so much talk of 48/18, 48/16, 46/18, 46/16, etc.

if you're on a fixed gear, 48/16 is one of the worst ratios you can have!!! and 48/18 is almost as bad!

get a 47 ring or a 17 cog and keep your tires happy!

word. it would do some good to educate the people in this thread on the concept of skid patches.

so much talk of 48/18, 48/16, 46/18, 46/16, etc.

if you're on a fixed gear, 48/16 is one of the worst ratios you can have!!! and 48/18 is almost as bad!

get a 47 ring or a 17 cog and keep your tires happy!

or learn how to ride fixed, so you don't have to skid at every intersection...

yeah most likely its the bar, i figure i need a shortter stem or a new fork.

other than that im fine

Fork has nothing to do with it unless it's cut way too short to get your bars to a reasonable height (assuming it's a threadless fork.)

You actually are going to want a longer stem in most cases; a short stem makes you arch your back and 'hunch' as you ride, and it cricks your neck. A longer stem and higher bars will allow for a more relaxed position of your arms and back, taking the strain off your neck.

or learn how to ride fixed, so you don't have to skid at every intersection...

No, I understand entirely what you mean, and I don't ever lock and hold a skid, but even just skip stopping, which I end up doing a lot on downhills around here, would wear out your tire exponentially faster if the whole skid patch theory is indeed 100% true.

You'd be skipping on roughly the same spot far more often.

i clean my bike every week, take my chain off and clean it, etc. so the combo of not skidding too much and rotating the wheel (so i have a different skid patch every week) means that i usually get 6 months out of a tire. i'm down with spending $30 every 6 months to ride my favorite gearing, esp. riding around 150-200 miles a week. i figure that's pretty good.

BTT:you've really been successful in 180 skidding to avoid cars that don't signal? i read that and my jaw hit the floor! i can't do those, and i'm a wuss...so i usually just grab my brake haha

rode my mountain bike on a group ride last night (nooooo idea why). And I forgot how much fun mountain bikes can be, just not sticking to smooth road while riding, cutting up into grass etc.

yeah I started with mountain biking (xc, then freeride/downhill), but i've just been riding fixed road for the last 2 years. i miss mountain biking so much!