Pure Blue Japan XX-005 Black

ianpalermo

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

emaze, i am going to soak mine because theoretically, they will become darker--the black yarns will turn a darker color and some of the residual dye will stain the white yarns. this is all theoretical of course. maybe you should wait until one of us soaks.

this seems to be true. I just finished soaking my pair and they shrunk quite nicely. I still think I could have fit into a 29, but they still look great. After the soak the weft, as well as the gold/yellow stitching has turned a much darker color. They really feel like moreso of a black jean post soak; before they come across as maybe just a dark indigo.

overall, i am very, very impressed with these jeans. everything about them is just fantastic: the denim, the rivets/buttons, the stitching, the cut, etc, etc...I could go on.

The only drawback of these jeans is that they're making me want to buy a pair of their blue counterparts.

This might be jumping the gun...but Carl mentioned something about the quality in these lacking...he's not talking about the blacks so I may be completely offf here. I dunno...Carl tends to know his shit...

The quality up against my black sammies was the first thing that struck me, they are nowhere near as good. I like the colour stitching though.

Yeah, definitely can't be only 32 made. Not for a pair in this price range that doesn't even have any special characteristics. They probably got 32 in and all but 9 were preordered.

That would make more sense, but the SA repeated herself when I gave her a startled look. I'm guessing that whatever the case, it was lost in translation.

When I turned all of my jeans inside out recently, I have to admit, the Samurai construction was the best. The seams were the cleanest, the thread tension was the most even, and the fabric had the most consistent quality. Even down to the cotton pocket bags with the debossed art work. It was amazing. But not to knock the other brands, I mean they were pretty freaking good too.

i don't want this to become a 5000BK vs. XX-005BK thing, but:

sammy's:

17 oz

rugged aesthetic

looser cut

less slubby denim

PBJ:

sleek aesthetic

slimmer cut

more slubby

this has nothing to do with quality. both are of superb quality. they are just trying to achieve different things.

*EDIT* coleslaw, damn, you were examining the thread tension???

Guest engteach

I own a pair of blues and when I hot soaked them they lost no indigo as far as I could tell; the water was perfectly clear. I just finished soaking my new blacks and the water turned completely black, I freaked out! I took them out immediately and they are drying at the momemnt. Anyone else have a similar experience? Why would they bleed so much more than the blues? Also, will this effect the breaking in process?

Guest engteach

I hot soaked both times. The only difference is that I soaked the blues in hot bath water and I filled up my washing machine basin with hot water to soak the blacks. I rinsed it a bit to make sure there was no risidual soap; I thought that might have been what caused the bleeding.

Regarding the blues, I thought the lack of bleeding was a testament to the quality of the denim and dipping; I thought I read that somewhere on the forum.

eng, my blacks are hot-soaking right now and let out a shit-ton of black dye too. I only agitated them enough to get the air bubbles out but there was black water coming out the legs in plumes. Way more than I've ever seen with any indigo-dyed raws. Anyway, I doubt it will make much difference to the jeans, I just don't want to be scrubbing on my bathtub for very long.

This might be jumping the gun...but Carl mentioned something about the quality in these lacking...he's not talking about the blacks so I may be completely offf here. I dunno...Carl tends to know his shit...

did carl get them yet? i don't know why these would be any different than the 005's.

i don't want this to become a 5000BK vs. XX-005BK thing, but:

sammy's:

17 oz

rugged aesthetic

looser cut

less slubby denim

PBJ:

sleek aesthetic

slimmer cut

more slubby

this has nothing to do with quality. both are of superb quality. they are just trying to achieve different things.

*EDIT* coleslaw, damn, you were examining the thread tension???

agreed. quality isn't based on slubbiness and weight. construction and fit are ace for me. Did they ever have a black jean in the past?

It costs a lot to ship from the U.S. to the UK. If you want tracking, it will be atleast $50. If you don't want tracking it usually runs around $25 or so.

Depends on how you ship - a lot of companies use UPS/Fedex/DHL which CAN be a lot, but the regular US postal service will only cost about $25 or so to ship to the UK via Global Express Mail, which is insured up to $100 and fully trackable on both sides of the pond. Even if they buy another $300 worth of insurance, that's only gonna cost another few bucks so $50 is def on the high end.