Denim in Singapore

tweeds

styleofmind 'the fact that you can/actually bother to type properly without the use of stupid emoticons puts you in my books [although we've never met in person] above 99% of the singapore population wHo tYpE Lyk DiS!~ adventerous is one thing. being broad is another.'

tsk generalizations.

i wish i could walk naked.

I bought it from this shop as well, but in the shop, not online on my first trip to Japan. I knew it's in Ueno, but didn't know the location. Saw it by chance, and bought the one I can afford. :D

I don't think thin leather = poor fade, but I won't know since my WINGS is the dark tan version ..... :) black black red red one ..... can't see anything ..... hahahhahaa ....

I think he's referring to the wallet fade on jeans

:)

haha sorry let me rephrase. wallet fade on back pockets of jeans.

thats what i meant.

oh okay okay i guess if i ever buy one it'll be from that site.

i cant afford to go to japan! :(

I love love love this thread. I've been lurking for a long time cuz I've never had time to read the whole thread all 48 pages but I finally did and geez have I missed out on a lot! Anyway I'm all caught up now. And I have 2 questions for all you SG denim heads.

1. Can/Should I dry clean my dry/raw denims so that I don't need to wash them and Febreezing sounds "inadequate" cleaning?

2. I want to bring in some denims that doesn't seem to be readily available in Singapore like Ironheart or Samurai. But I have no experience in how to bring stock in. Should I contact the people at the actual stores in Japan or?

Thanks in advance!

I love love love this thread. I've been lurking for a long time cuz I've never had time to read the whole thread all 48 pages but I finally did and geez have I missed out on a lot! Anyway I'm all caught up now. And I have 2 questions for all you SG denim heads.

1. Can/Should I dry clean my dry/raw denims so that I don't need to wash them and Febreezing sounds "inadequate" cleaning?

2. I want to bring in some denims that doesn't seem to be readily available in Singapore like Ironheart or Samurai. But I have no experience in how to bring stock in. Should I contact the people at the actual stores in Japan or?

Thanks in advance!

1. nope. don't dry clean. febreeze when your denim stinks, and if u need to wash em, just wash em. i dont see why its so wrong to wash your denim if its dirty.

2. im not too sure, but maybe you could pm the self edge pple on this forum, and ask them about how they managed to deal with iron heart and sugar cane and etc...

agentbristow04 let me thank you in advance for taking steps towards boosting the selvedge denim market in Singapore! :)

if you are really lucky you maybe able to speak with the boss of QC since he deals with skulls, he should have some experience. but thing is they are one of your largest competitors. so i dont think they would want help killing themselves.

i feel your best bet would be like to directly email the companies you are interested in dealing with. i have had some email correspondence with some of their sales personnel (from samurai and other japanese retailers) and they are all really friendly and helpful.

or you could also, like plongin mentioned, ask people from self edge they are friendly SUFUers and are not really direct competitors for your future biz.

1. nope. don't dry clean. febreeze when your denim stinks, and if u need to wash em, just wash em. i dont see why its so wrong to wash your denim if its dirty.

2. im not too sure, but maybe you could pm the self edge pple on this forum, and ask them about how they managed to deal with iron heart and sugar cane and etc...

Thanks. But what's wrong with dry cleaning?

agentbristow04 let me thank you in advance for taking steps towards boosting the selvedge denim market in Singapore! :)

if you are really lucky you maybe able to speak with the boss of QC since he deals with skulls, he should have some experience. but thing is they are one of your largest competitors. so i dont think they would want help killing themselves.

i feel your best bet would be like to directly email the companies you are interested in dealing with. i have had some email correspondence with some of their sales personnel (from samurai and other japanese retailers) and they are all really friendly and helpful.

or you could also, like plongin mentioned, ask people from self edge they are friendly SUFUers and are not really direct competitors for your future biz.

Thanks mofo! Haha, I know! I wanted to bring in Skull jeans too... But I'm glad that QC brought Sugar Canes and Skulls too... That's one store I honestly respect because they really know their stuff... I won't really be QC's direct competitor though. Just think of me as trying to add to the "roster" of premium jeans in Singapore... if I make it that is... I think I will start from scratch and build a correspondence with the people that I wanna work with first and see how things go from there.

Erm both of you mentioned self edge people. This is gonna sound way dumb, but who are they?

Thanks mofo! Haha, I know! I wanted to bring in Skull jeans too... But I'm glad that QC brought Sugar Canes and Skulls too... That's one store I honestly respect because they really know their stuff... I won't really be QC's direct competitor though. Just think of me as trying to add to the "roster" of premium jeans in Singapore... if I make it that is... I think I will start from scratch and build a correspondence with the people that I wanna work with first and see how things go from there.

Erm both of you mentioned self edge people. This is gonna sound way dumb, but who are they?

Yes! Then we can get TIP to add more premium jeans into the first page of our 'Denim in Singapore' thread.

Making us the premium jeans capital in Southeast Asia. haha

They are people who run/work at this site www.selfedge.com

You can try PMing 'Kiya', he's from selfedge and an active member here.

agentbristow: do you already run a store, or are you planning to set one up? it's unlikely that the companies would be willing to deal with an individual without the B&M storefront. remember that these are not your average true religion "premium denim" companies.

also, i don't mean to be hostile, but how much -do- you know about japanese denim? i've never been very impressed with the QC (nor Actually) staff's knowledge about their denim, and i don't have a problem with that, because they're not a denim store, instead they're more of a general fashion boutique with an interest in jeans. your question about dry cleaning and the self edge store suggests that you should find out a bit more about these jeans that you're looking to bring in...

there's nothing actually wrong with dry cleaning--in fact i've dry cleaned my APCs once, but i don't trust the cleaners to do a good job of it--in theory it cleans your jeans without allowing them to come into contact with water, but we have little idea about the nature of the chemicals that they use on the fabric. if your jeans have been dyed well, washing them should not result in too much loss of indigo, which is what a dry clean aims to prevent.

again, apologies for the scepticism.

^^ you shouldnt dry clean your jeans cos when you do, what happens is that you'll end up with a lower contrast fade.

nothing wrong with it, just that you'll get a lower contrast fade, thats all.

step 1: buy febreeze

step 2: turn jeans inside out

step 3: soak the damn thing with febreeze

step 4: let hang dry over night

in the morning, it shld be pretty stiff, and feeling a whole lot cleaner. febreeze does alot less harm than dry cleaning i feel, and besides, dry cleaning isnt REAL cleaning anyway.

okay guys! the fedex guy just dropped by awhile ago, did a little sorting out and there you go!

482ptgw.jpg

the only backordered item is the size L cardigan (skcusdog), it'll arrive in about 2 weeks.

rest of you, please PM me to discuss meet-ups.

*edit* for convenience, can u guys inform me when u will be free so i don't have to meet everyone separately on different dates. (preferably either tomorrow or sunday, i've work on weekdays)

^^ you shouldnt dry clean your jeans cos when you do, what happens is that you'll end up with a lower contrast fade.

nothing wrong with it, just that you'll get a lower contrast fade, thats all.

step 1: buy febreeze

step 2: turn jeans inside out

step 3: soak the damn thing with febreeze

step 4: let hang dry over night

in the morning, it shld be pretty stiff, and feeling a whole lot cleaner. febreeze does alot less harm than dry cleaning i feel, and besides, dry cleaning isnt REAL cleaning anyway.

pardon me for my ignorance, but where can i get febreeze locally har???

for what it's worth...i find that if you switch your jeans around (i have two pairs) and sun/air the one not being worn it really helps.

oh..okok...

with the febreze what i do is just spray it on tinside of the jeans rite?

i know i sound kinda stupid, but i just wanna confirm thanks TIP.

Combine febreeze (get the one with orange top-antimicrobial) and UV rays from sun.

Went to Melbourne in Dec (Raining everyday i heard) for 10 days...left my APCs (which i have only worn sporadically for 2 months) in the shade... came back

Mushrooms (fungus) on the jeans. Wah lau! straight into the washing machine it went!

Funny thing is...its wearing a lot better now....more fade in the wear areas then before wash.

Combine febreeze (get the one with orange top-antimicrobial) and UV rays from sun.

Went to Melbourne in Dec (Raining everyday i heard) for 10 days...left my APCs (which i have only worn sporadically for 2 months) in the shade... came back

Mushrooms (fungus) on the jeans. Wah lau! straight into the washing machine it went!

Funny thing is...its wearing a lot better now....more fade in the wear areas then before wash.

thanks for the advice too bro.

i think next time ppl will use dry denim to grow shrooms instead! just kidding. hahah

The dry cleaning process dont actually clean clothing, including jeans.

In fact, I brought my shirt for dry cleaning recently, and they said no because the dirt cannot be gotten rid via dry cleaning.

I left my raw denim out for few days already. Still has that musty raw smell, which is actually disturbing if you are in close proximity to others.

I think I will resort to spraying with perfume if the smell still persists.

please do not ever try spraying perfume

the mixture of the odours is terrible, to say the least.

Well, if you spray enough, you will only smell the perfume.

Honestly, the smell of raw denim can be offensive even to me if I am not the one wearing it.

agentbristow: do you already run a store, or are you planning to set one up? it's unlikely that the companies would be willing to deal with an individual without the B&M storefront. remember that these are not your average true religion "premium denim" companies.

also, i don't mean to be hostile, but how much -do- you know about japanese denim? i've never been very impressed with the QC (nor Actually) staff's knowledge about their denim, and i don't have a problem with that, because they're not a denim store, instead they're more of a general fashion boutique with an interest in jeans. your question about dry cleaning and the self edge store suggests that you should find out a bit more about these jeans that you're looking to bring in...

there's nothing actually wrong with dry cleaning--in fact i've dry cleaned my APCs once, but i don't trust the cleaners to do a good job of it--in theory it cleans your jeans without allowing them to come into contact with water, but we have little idea about the nature of the chemicals that they use on the fabric. if your jeans have been dyed well, washing them should not result in too much loss of indigo, which is what a dry clean aims to prevent.

again, apologies for the scepticism.

ahh.. here comes some professional advise.

agentbristow: please take TiP's advise into great consideration. cos i am really quite new to this game myself. not trying to carry balls or anthing but if anyone here knows best its most probably TiP.

yeah i second the sun/air method in preventing any undesirable smells.

everyday after i come home i will hang my jeans where there's good ventilation and on weekends where i laze around at home they are in the sun. its worked so far for my 3 months old jeans.

seems like febreeze is a very popular method.

will try it if my jeans start to stink.

best thing, its said to leave your jeans stiff! woo