Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

I think if Dr. Heech threw them shits in a hot wash and dryer they'd fit a lot snugger.

That's the frustrating thing about these sweatshirts. Their fit changes COMPLETELY after wearing them like three times.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

I have to agree with the majority. Bought the XXL (grey first), but now it's my winter lounger. The green one (XL) is a perfect fit for me, but like I said before, it was alot more snugger fitting when new (both are two+ years old). I have a new/never worn/washed XL in oatmeal which I'll try and get a fit-pic of. This will illustrate why I wouldn't buy a size Large.

will post my fit pics of Barns (size small) and Buzz Rickson SEXBR sweaters this weekend.

my fit is a lot smaller/tighter than the ones dr_heech posted (perhaps too small). Interested to hear your opinions

mm i would love me an oatmeal one... even though spring is coming. cant wait for the pics!

Thanks

Maybe I'll get some fit pics of my old cushman too, which is slim/snug in the body and the arms. Too snug really. I dont really like the 'wetsuit' fit, regardless of opinion. I dont mind how people used to wear their sweats back in the 40's i.e. - tight on the body and short in the arms, but it just looks daft nowadays IMO. Each to their own, eh?

• 5 months later...

Question to sweatshirt owners.

I tried on a couple of Buzz Rickson sweatshirts today in a medium (fitted look) and a large (slightly looser). Before I purchase, could you advised whether these are likely to shrink or stretch (or neither) with regular wash and wear?

Thanks in advance.

Question to sweatshirt owners.

I tried on a couple of Buzz Rickson sweatshirts today in a medium (fitted look) and a large (slightly looser). Before I purchase, could you advised whether these are likely to shrink or stretch (or neither) with regular wash and wear?

Thanks in advance.

Yes they do stretch a little. My XXL ended up being Waay too big and is up for sale. My XL was snug when new, but after two years regular wearing/washing..etc it has stretched, and finally settled.

I like the fit, although it is not a traditional way of wearing it.

I have a navy cushman in XL which is very fitted, like the 'bodyguard' style of the 40's.

I say buy the more fitted of the two.

DSRLDenim041.jpg

(apologies for reposting this pic)

• 2 weeks later...

jstavrin - I have a Barns sweatshirt. I believe all Barns sweatshirts are sewn with old Union Special machines. Even though the fabric is loopwheeled, the sweatshirt doesn't feel soft instead the fabric feels rugged...maybe it's the special wash Barns put them through to achieve the faded look.

That's very odd, they were printed the same exact way all BR sweats are printed and in the same factory in Japan.

I have both the red and black ones and washed both at least 15 times now over two years and they both look washed out (as they should) but they definitely don't look THAT washed out.

Buzz Rickson prints their images in such a way where they fade and age quickly on purpose, but i don't know about it fading that much.

American style medium or Japan medium, American small?

Err, I just sold it. I guess it would translate to an American small, though. BZ size M will probably get you a more vintage fit for average-sized people because of the amount they stretch.

jstavrin - I have a Barns sweatshirt. I believe all Barns sweatshirts are sewn with old Union Special machines. Even though the fabric is loopwheeled, the sweatshirt doesn't feel soft instead the fabric feels rugged...maybe it's the special wash Barns put them through to achieve the faded look.

exactely, I own a Barns and a BR sweatshirt and although I like both, there is a world of difference on the inside fabric. Barns is rugged, BR soft (and warmer)

exactely, I own a Barns and a BR sweatshirt and although I like both, there is a world of difference on the inside fabric. Barns is rugged, BR soft (and warmer)

And there seems to be a difference in length as well, which may be an issue for me. Have you noticed that the Barns sweats run longer?

And there seems to be a difference in length as well, which may be an issue for me. Have you noticed that the Barns sweats run longer?

straight from the rack I'd say yes but its hard to compare since I haven't washed my BR sweatshirt yet and don't know if the length will change. But the overall sizing is also different; I wear a small in Barns, a medium in BR