Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

What I don't understand about the BR sweats is this description: "True vintage fit for flattering appearance."

I have had several vintage sweatshirts, and none fit like a BR at all. If they fit me in the body ok, then the sleeves are super short. If they fit me in the sleeves ok, then they body is short. I wish I could find a vintage sweatshirt that fit like BRs do, but I haven't yet, which is the only reason I'm looking for a repro. It really bums me out about the apparent shitty quality of the Hinoya though, because that vee-placket and neckline are exactly what I'm looking for.

BTW...this is the fit that I'm talking about when you buy a vintage sweatshirt. A far cry from the BR (and whitesville, samurai, etc...) fit.

photo_kerouac_cassady.jpg

^^^^ Now that is some serious MAN love.

That is the Bacardi bat. This is a thread about vintage sweatshirts. Period. Kiya knows a lot about running a business and he is really good at marketing. If this were a thread about designer collaborations, sneakers, or yo yos I would obviously defer to Kiya. I honestly think that I know more than he does about vintage clothing and vintage sweatshirts. Here are some pictures of sweatshirts that I have and sweatshirts that have passed through my hands. The nicest repro sweatshirt that I have ever owned is a full zip Cushman hoodie in black with a white overstitch and a very nice repro brass zipper. My interest is that repros be of vintage quality and fit, and if that is your interest, then check out the Hinoya sweatshirts: you can get, like, three of them for the price of one bacardi sweatshirt from Kiya. Here are some pics. the one with three overlapping grey sweatshirts shows the fabric on a late fifties champion, a hinoya and the buzz rickson.

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

These are pictures of a 1930s sweatshirt I sold about two years ago:

janebay087.jpg

janebay080.jpg

janebay090.jpg

This is a 1950s champion sweat that I sold 2-3 years ago:

IMG_1834.jpg

That is the Bacardi bat.

This is the Bacardi logo from 1955:

thumbnailphp.jpg

This is Buzz Rickson's original art from 2006 reproducing a fighter squadron's sweatshirt from WWII:

buzzrickson.jpg

The only similarity I see is that they're both bats.

Edit: I don't know anything about sneakers.

Here's a fit pic of A Buzz Rickson Large

medium was too small and the large poofs out around the stomach

so as soft and comfortable as it is, I just can't get used to the fit so it's up for sale

check the sig...

33wm5y0.jpg

Just copped a the same sweater (including colour) in a small from Vari. Based on their measurements it should fit sweet but the thing is just a tad too small. Pending a return for a M it may also be up for sale in the supermercado.

I've also ordered one of the BRxSE sweats in a medium and I'm a little concerned that the posted measurements are the same as those for the small on the Vari site.

X-posting fit issues from misleading internet size-guides in the shit you hate thread...

If I were you James I'd just keep the sweater. I think the fit looks OK. I've got a Whitesville that fits like that and I regularly wear it for the quality of the sweater alone.

I have both the buzz rickson in grey and the SExBR in red...The grey is XL and the red is L. The XL shouldve fit better on paper. I, too, experience the same poofing around the waist as James, which is definitely not a flattering aesthetic.

The red BR (sized down) fits real nice. Super tight in the body and throughout the sleeves. And short. I think thats how these suckers should be worn

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank Kiya for his advice on this one. I love this thing.

Notice how the neckline pulls away at the side seams and forces the front and back of the neckline towards the neck. This is exactly what happens with my vintage ones. The front and back V detail is fantastic (rib material and no silly runoff stitch). Check out the puckering around the waistline...just like those JC Penny double Vs that vivaloschet posted above. The sleeves are baggy at the under arm, yet tight around the forearm. Yet another great vintage detail. It's hard for me to compare the fabric to my vintage sweats, since they have no doubt been washed a million times. The Hinoya sweatshirt is very soft, and super comfortable.

The transaction with Hinoya was great. They corresponded in English, accepted paypal, and shipped fast. I sent the payment on Wednesday afternoon and had the sweatshirt on Saturday morning.

hinoya2.jpg

The color is a bit off in the picture. In real life it's charcoal gray.

I want to thank Kiya for his advice on this one. I love this thing.

Notice how the neckline pulls away at the side seams and forces the front and back of the neckline towards the neck. This is exactly what happens with my vintage ones. The front and back V detail is fantastic (rib material and no silly runoff stitch). Check out the puckering around the waistline...just like those JC Penny double Vs that vivaloschet posted above. The sleeves are baggy at the under arm, yet tight around the forearm. Yet another great vintage detail. It's hard for me to compare the fabric to my vintage sweats, since they have no doubt been washed a million times. The Hinoya sweatshirt is very soft, and super comfortable.

The transaction with Hinoya was great. They corresponded in English, accepted paypal, and shipped fast. I sent the payment on Wednesday afternoon and had the sweatshirt on Saturday morning.

hinoya2.jpg

The color is a bit off in the picture. In real life it's charcoal gray.

Where did you order it and how much did it cost you? It looks great.

Copped me a couple Whitesville sweats recently. The quality on these joints are fab, but god damn do they ever run small in length/sleeves. However, I feel that if I had sized up, I would have had some love handle flare going on. These things are badass either way.

• 3 weeks later...
Copped me a couple Whitesville sweats recently. The quality on these joints are fab, but god damn do they ever run small in length/sleeves. However, I feel that if I had sized up, I would have had some love handle flare going on. These things are badass either way.

Love handle flare...not so bad.

3675673284_cfe84a3e11_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
i came across a set of old skinhead (great style!) photos on flickr and was looking through them. some great jeans in there, but was especially excited by THIS. how amazing is that crewneck?!
the one with the levi's patch art screened on the breast? 3 colors?! certainly would have been a fine centerpiece to your LVC collection.

i would love to stumble across one of those today... such a great, simple sweatshirt. i guess i'd take one in any and every color they made given the chance.

...one more thing to hunt for, i suppose. :rolleyes:

lookie what i found:

3773579221_360da62f7d.jpg

3774386498_24edc5e689.jpg

3774387070_7e404f2e0e.jpg

3773580093_ac4cff1a3a.jpg

funny thing is i found this in a vintage store very shortly after that original post, but it's actually very small - almost kids sized - so i didn't buy it. not long after, i decided that was stupid and went back and bought it (it was only marked at $25, but i was buying it with a vintage harmon kardon stereo receiver and dude just threw it in for free!). gave it to my lady and it fits her perfectly. maybe i'll snag some fit pics...

• 3 weeks later...

out of SDA, Barns, Whitesville, and Deluxeware, which company provides a sweatshirt thats the least "muffin-esque"

I've tried Two Moon and LW but I don't think either fit is for my body type. i generally like fitted sweatshirts (not tight) that tailor the torso and arms without looking like a muffin.... for lack of a better term.

• 3 weeks later...

My Buzz Rickson "Freedom Sleeve" sweatshirt in oatmeal just arrived. I love it, but the waistband could be a little tighter. It'll be nice once this heatwave in LA ends so I can actually wear it. Pardon the shittiness of the pic.

IMG_3177.jpg?t=1252217599

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I've worn this thing out a couple of times (see above) and it isn't quite the fit I want (should have sized down) and I wish it had that "v". It can be had for 95 shipped. I consider that a pretty good deal.

That thing fits fine dude. A smaller size would look ridiculous on you.

• 3 weeks later...
That thing fits fine dude. A smaller size would look ridiculous on you.

No sir. I'm glad I sold it in favor of the size M. The large stretched after a wear or two and it looked like shit.

This is the fit I want:

IMG_3222.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Left Field loopwheeled sweatshirt in the mail and it looks and feels like it came from Kmart compared to my Buzz Rickson sweatshirt. Plus it has a hole in it. Time to send it back.