Reggae / Dub

cprotch

fatcity.co.uk is your pal

no worries, i feel u on the quality of the originals. Have you heard the bob marley sets they have be releasing the last few years where they went back and cleaned everything up? digitized it and shit i guess.. buncha previously unreleased shit from some vault. Real good shit.

side topic.. have you ever been able to find actual reggae vinyl? I swear i've spent hours in ameoba (SanFran) and i can't find anything but dancehall shit.

Never noticed this thread. I'd just like to mention the bloody obvious everyone has left out so far... Garnet Silk.

3PToZrn0bY4

0oAyjP-o-8w

Years ago we had a great reggae radio show that ran on a small Sydney comunity radio station, and I lapped it up. Some of my favourites I can remember off the top of my head (I'm shit with names), some not mentioned yet.. Beres Hammond, Cocoa Tea, Luciano, Tennor Saw...

yRCao607WH4

I think the stone love soundsystem is worth a mention too...

7i-SetC9QLg

some of my favorite reggae records:

junior murvin - police & thieves

steel pulse - earth crisis

peter tosh - legalize it

bunny wailer - blackheart man

judy mowatt - black woman

mighty diamonds - right time

black uhuru - red

gregory isaacs - night nurse

• 5 months later...

http://whocorkthedance.blogspot.com/

So much good stuff on there, plus they have a online radio station.

I love reggae... Most of the reggae I'm into is either spirit of 69/Trojan records stuff, late 70's to mid 80's foundation clashes and dance night recordings, or mid 80s to mid 90's dancehall.

Clashes from the 80's and back are usually so much better than modern ones because sounds don't really use live DJ's anymore; its all dubplates. Beyond the fact that live music and toasting is better from a musical standpoint, anyone can get a big box of dubs voiced and cut if you have enough money, but to get djs to come out to your clash be a part of your sound takes some real work and respect.

some records and recordings that I've been listening to a lot in the past couple weeks: General Trees- Ghost Rider, Sizzla- Black Woman and Child, Killamanjaro vs GT 1985, Metromedia @ gemini club 1983, Super Cat- Si Boops Deh

Nicodemus and Super Cat on Stone Love 1990

DUxcpsyeQxE

any ragga jungle fans- the "bumboclot bad boy sound" sample used in tons of tracks is from this

I only enjoy reggae when it's played really loud, live, in summer, and all you hear is the bass and bass drum.

I guess I prefer dub (not sure I know what the difference is though)

well dub is instruments only or with very few vocals.....with reverb/echo effects....it`s good to listen to while smoking a spliff ! You have dub bands which can perform their music live and dub remixes of "normal" songs, made by DJs(such as King Tubby, King Jammy, Lee Perry)

My favourite dub band is Japanese, it`s called Dry & Heavy. They have their own sound that I like very much, which sometimes reminds me of Johnny Clarke's.

The following song is from their really good album ONE PUNCH, this is not the best of the album but the only one I can find on Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-7EDaJ8MA

Another classic-

v0rOCW5ldIw

Yami bolo in his youth (16) killing it, Burro Banton great as always, Cutty Ranks and Peter Metro all on stereo mars in 1986. I wish Joe lickshot would shut up and let people have the mic... and peep the guy at 4:14 with the cyclops shades.

Paragons, Tide is High, featuring Debbie Harry lip-synch and Darth Vader's cousin:

afjx2dxA7TI

the blondie cover lacks the elegiac undertones of the original

heh, someone laid the original track over the blondie video and somehow replaced the subtitles with the appropriate lyrics.

what a weird fucking video

anyway, early yellow is good as with barrington levy x junjo lawes x scientist x roots radics (tho he still could lay down some pretty heavy tracks later on - "beeetly bop beeetly whooooooah seee eeeooeeoo...")

lost quite a bit of my taste for dub but lee perry's blackboard jungle dub is still immense. also he did some amazing non dub stuff with ska, roots, heart of the congos, you name it. some of his best work is on those upsetters comps on trojan that came out like 10 years ago.

also sleng teng will never get old. was given a new lease on life courtesy of hrvatski's kid 606 remix.