MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

Mine ended up at 29" inseam length, but I wish it had been 28". Oh well. I think I'll buy the Midnight Riders and do the same with them. John, can you tell us how you defeated the rivet? I'm guess you cut it somehow, but we'd love to know. Also, do you plan on doing the same hemming with your chino riders now? :)

It took me two needlenose pliers, lots of patience working the two pieces apart and caution against inadvertently tearing the denim. One thing you have to ensure is to have all the (verticle) stitching around the rivet is "ripped" off. When you think you you're still struggling with the rivets, it may just be stitching keeping the two parts together.

I am going to do the same with my Chino Riders. I pulled them out of the closet the moment I was done with my Dungarees :) I can't wait.

my tailor said he couldn't move the rivet :wacko:

If you're heart set on having your Riders modded, I recommend removing the rivetes yourself. Once the rivets are removed, though, they're pretty much all mangled and rendered unserviceable.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey marinebilly what are the engies you're wearing with your modified denim?

Super long instep strap, double(?) heels, oversized brass buckle and nice color. Love em!

are they the RRLs?

Edited by bbcapone

I am still looking for an indigo Veste Ouvrier in a small/ size 92.

http://www.misterfreedom.com/?p=1320

I don't care if it's new or worn, I really fucking want one of these. Please contact me if you have one you would sell and we can talk about money. Any help finding one for sale gets you $10 in your paypal account. (meaning a retailer who actually has that size in stock)

Edited by attackwithstones

Stopped into the Mister Freedom store the other day. It's amazing, but nearly every piece from all the pasts seasons is in store (now I understand why there are never sales...). Really the highlight of the store is all of their vintage wear. You can really understand the inspiration behind all of the products they produce. If anyone is in the market for some jeans they have a great section of deadstock vintage jeans.

The J Crew ones were washed and fully shrunk. I've found the different chambrays behave a little differently. I could not get the dark indigo/black verson to shrink as much as the regular indigo version.

Need Mr. Freedom expert opinions.

Just enough dough for one pair.

Britches Chaparral in brown, or Rider's Dungarees?

I'll probably have to do a 'denim doctor' on the riders since I have a 31" inseam, but it won't dissuade me.

I have a lot of denim but these are so different and kick ass.

I also need brown duck in my life.

Any Chaparral owners or owners of both that can help me decide? Thanks.

Steve

Need Mr. Freedom expert opinions. Just enough dough for one pair. Britches Chaparral in brown, or Rider's Dungarees? I'll probably have to do a 'denim doctor' on the riders since I have a 31" inseam, but it won't dissuade me. I have a lot of denim but these are so different and kick ass. I also need brown duck in my life. Any Chaparral owners or owners of both that can help me decide? Thanks. Steve

I can't talk on the BC's, but I very much like my RD's. I love how the Sugar Cane fabric wears and when hemmed to taste, the

silhouette is second to none.

Need Mr. Freedom expert opinions.

Just enough dough for one pair.

Britches Chaparral in brown, or Rider's Dungarees?

I'll probably have to do a 'denim doctor' on the riders since I have a 31" inseam, but it won't dissuade me.

I have a lot of denim but these are so different and kick ass.

Steve

I own both, kind of... I wore the Midnight Riders for a year or so and just bought a pair of the brown Britches Chaparral... The two are actually quite similar in some ways, particularly (and strangely enough) the silhouette, and the super clean, minimalist sort-of construction. The denim on the Riders is beautiful and an appropriate, ideal weight for a pair of jeans (imo). I love the mock twist pocket bags/lining -- real gems. The rivets on these jeans are incredible as well. In short, the allure of the Riders is plain to see -- they fit really well without being the run-of-the-mill pair of jeans and they tote gorgeous textiles and hardware at every possible turn. Although, I guess I just sort of explained the allure of all Mister Freedom pieces... oh well... you get what I mean...

For the Britches on the other hand, the allure, to me, is in the genius simplicity of their construction and the accompanying absolute lushness of that brown linen/cotton. I call these my "glorified Dickies." I mean this in the most special way. Dickies have been my preferred pant of choice since I was 10 years old. No matter how hard I try, I always come back to Dickies. Now I don't have to! Britches Chaparral for life, for all! For the Britches, imagine the most minimal, nuanced, conceptual pair of Dickies. One of my favorite details are the construction of the belt loops -- just so "natural" I guess might be the best way to put it...

Anyways, if I had to buy one pair or the other, personally, I would buy the Britches, for all the reasons listed above as well as because I think they can be worn with more diversity of occasion.

Hope this helps.

Edited by symphonyofblue

Steve

I own both. I wouldn't say they are similar - IMO they are quite different. if you need new jeans the riders are a very nice choice - although I am still waiting for the denim doctor to return my call!!

the britches are great to - I wouldn't compare them to brown duck jeans - the fabric is very different as it's a linen / cotton mix.

neither is better than the other.

if you already have plenty of denim in the wardrobe I would go for the britches.

marineabilly: it looks fantastic, great job!!

finally got down to repairing my pique jeans just now. 1 of the stud buttons came off during the hot soak and upon investigation, found out that it wasn't actually fixed on due to the male part being too short (hahaha!!)

so i decided to just fix it myself... no blood but loads of gore? haha... my humble repair work

252756_250648888384812_1769900013_n.jpg

missing button

250765_250649285051439_435506113_n.jpg

preparing the patient

575322_250649998384701_1825353110_n.jpg

opened up the part for fixing

282917_250650875051280_1706191533_n.jpg

snip snip snip

555380_250651451717889_182837214_n.jpg

finally trimmed enough

522713_250651871717847_100003191073620_410395_1594799289_n.jpg

setting the button in place