Filipino Food Shit Talking Thread

The thing is I'm not arguing the virtues of Filipino cuisine.  I've stated numerous times that I agree that it falls below other Asian cuisine.  

I do think that you haven't had good Filipino food not because it doesn't exist but you just haven't experienced it yet.  

I just disagree with your premise that since you've had a small sample size of Filipino food and you didn't enjoy then it sucks as whole.  Could it be you've just not had good Filipino food?  

i can never be the judge of to whether shit is "good" because i am not filipino and didn't grow up with it.  my filipino pals said that the shit they were feeding me was authentic and they enjoyed it.  and how do you know i've only had a "small sample???"

this is just an assumption. 

put it this way, i had alota white friends who loved california style fusion sushi.  some of them then got to have some real authentic shit.  they actually loved it, and now prefer it to that americanized stuff.

i've had fusion filipino food.  it was just ok.  then i had real filipino food.  guess what? i liked the fusion shit better.

Look at the sisig dish.  The flavors and dish is 99% authentic.  The preparation/technique was elevated.  The ingredients was elevated.  But that's basically sisig.  It's just been presented much in a better way.

look at japanese sushi in america.  there are actual japanese chefs/masters who prepare their shit in the exact same way (yes there are places that cook there rice in ceramic/stone over fires) it was done in ancient times.  that shit is 100% authentic.  same way it was done way back when.  shit is pure.  it sells. even nonjaps like it  in america.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

i can never be the judge of to whether shit is "good" because i am not filipino and didn't grow up with it.  my filipino pals said that the shit they were feeding me was authentic and they enjoyed it.  and how do you know i've only had a "small sample???"

this is just an assumption. 

put it this way, i had alota white friends who loved california style fusion sushi.  some of them then got to have some real authentic shit.  they actually loved it, and now prefer it to that americanized stuff.

i've had fusion filipino food.  it was just ok.  then i had real filipino food.  guess what? i liked the fusion shit better.

out of curiosity, can you give an example of a real filino food that you tried and didnt care for and then tried a fusion version and like it better?

fusion shit was tasted better imo.  homeboy's grandma's shit was too vinegar-ry.  

I see.  Just never really seen a fusion version of adobo.  Its a pretty simple dish and I find it myself boring.

As far as being to vinegary, that's just a product of people making it differently and not so much as its more authentic and thus not fusion.  Some grandmas or lolas as we like to call them just add more soy sauce, some add more vinegar, its just varies depending on the taste of the person making it.

not to hijack this thread, but i just had burmese/myanmar food the other day, and it was fucking amazing.

there are a lot of under-appreciated cuisines out there, but i'm not sure if filipino food can really stand out on its own.

all of the "good" dishes in my opinion are essentially minor variations of other southeast asian dishes

i will say that i do appreciate desserts related to "ube"

lemme chime in (as i'm also flip and currently living in manila

as much as i like filipino food i'm mostly fond of things like the desserts, ^things related to ube, sisig, bagnet, maybe some variations of adobo such as the ones that use lemongrass... kare-kare's aight too. there's a fair amount of things that i like actually but really i far prefer other cuisines (korean/jap/thai) and i think it's because filipino food lacks a notable identity. 
all the dishes were either born out of necessity or bastardized takes on dishes from other places thrown together into some weird other thing.

plus there's always the inconsistency. i've had adobo at several places over the course of my lifetime (and i'm talking standard boring vinegar/soy preparation) and each time has been notably different.
it's too hard to get a clear-cut idea of what the hell filipino food is
and there's too many islands within this damn archipelago 
i'm pretty sure i only know of 20% of filipino food, maybe less.

ergo it's too all over the place imho

Yeah we established why Filipino food sucks and why it doesn't translate quite a while ago.

Unlike other Asian dishes, it kind of lacks it's own identity, it's either basic as fuck peasant food that has a lot of salted/preserved stuff or offal or it's just a sub-par adaptation of European cuisine.

The restaurants you were linking, as SS said, are such a fusion it's not even Filipino anymore. One of the dishes was just sausages with rice.

But they make decent baked food (shout out to Goldilocks)

To think about it 99% percent of cuisnes that caught on in the US has been changed to suit the taste of westerners.  that goes with italian, mexican, chinese, thai....why can't filipino change to cater to american's palate?  

it can and probably has.  it's filipino fusion.  again, i highly doubt that authentic filipino food could.  

Yeah we established why Filipino food sucks and why it doesn't translate quite a while ago.

Unlike other Asian dishes, it kind of lacks it's own identity, it's either basic as fuck peasant food that has a lot of salted/preserved stuff or offal or it's just a sub-par adaptation of European cuisine.

The restaurants you were linking, as SS said, are such a fusion it's not even Filipino anymore. One of the dishes was just sausages with rice.

But they make decent baked food (shout out to Goldilocks)

agreed. my sentiments.  what i had said in so many ways.

lemme chime in (as i'm also flip and currently living in manila

as much as i like filipino food i'm mostly fond of things like the desserts, ^things related to ube, sisig, bagnet, maybe some variations of adobo such as the ones that use lemongrass... kare-kare's aight too. there's a fair amount of things that i like actually but really i far prefer other cuisines (korean/jap/thai) and i think it's because filipino food lacks a notable identity. 

all the dishes were either born out of necessity or bastardized takes on dishes from other places thrown together into some weird other thing.

plus there's always the inconsistency. i've had adobo at several places over the course of my lifetime (and i'm talking standard boring vinegar/soy preparation) and each time has been notably different.

it's too hard to get a clear-cut idea of what the hell filipino food is

and there's too many islands within this damn archipelago 

i'm pretty sure i only know of 20% of filipino food, maybe less.

ergo it's too all over the place imho

thanks for your candor and not taking shit the wrong way. again,  the point of this thread is not the impossible answer as to whether or not filipino food is "good," but if it can take off in the u.s.  if it can be marketed to nonfilipinos.  filipino food can't, unless it is fused with other cuisines.  hence it would cease to be filipino food.  

To think about it 99% percent of cuisnes that caught on in the US has been changed to suit the taste of westerners.  that goes with italian, mexican, chinese, thai....why can't filipino change to cater to american's palate?  

I feel like your digging for someone to say "yeah you're right dude, Filipino food rocks."

I disagree, at least in Canada. Our most celebrated ethnic food restaurants don't really change to suit western palates. Hoi Tong is just a rinky dinky little place run by a Chinese grandpa and grandma serving stuff they grew up with. Equivalents exist for Japanese food. Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese (sorta) have a much lower focus on preserved food and offal which helps them gain popularity in the west. As a Chinaman I hate that salted pork and fish shit no matter who makes it.

you talkin bout hitler over here

hitler didn't take over asia.

and while i don't take offense at being likened to the fuhrer, i don't appreciate yr shitty hostility.  you made a pretty shitty thread that i actually took the time to post in.  you don't like my answers, tough titty.  no need to go all queen bitch about shit.