Filipino Food Shit Talking Thread

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.

overall all i think your people's food isn't that good.  only shit that i thought was okay was lechun and hollow x2.

it's next to impossible to "elevate" filipino food, because let's face it most of the shit is primitive.  it's like putting a silk hat on a pig

overall all i think your people's food isn't that good.  only shit that i thought was okay was lechun and hollow x2.

it's next to impossible to "elevate" filipino food, because let's face it most of the shit is primitive.  it's like putting a silk hat on a pig

damn, that's harsh, i appreciate the honesty but is there anything you appreciate less in terms of food?

Have you tried soup dishes like nilaga or sinigang?  or noodle dishes like pansit bihon? or lumpia (eggrolls) or the various BBQ meats?

These dishes are typically the gateway dishes.

^yeah i have. i tried both of those soups at a filipino friend's filipino fiesta.  didn't care for them.  lumpia was okay, but i'd rather just eat chinese or vietnamese ones.  bbq meat's, yeah, but imo other countries do it way better.

this is just my opinion though, so if you like this shit thats fine.  it seems to me that you're straying from your thread's intent.  can filipino food be "elevated?"  or why hasn't it "caught on" in the u.s. like that of other asian ethnic cuisines?

you said that to truly "elevate" a dish, that fresh produce is needed.  that's such a blanket statement.

it really comes down to what you mean by "elevate." you're right,  it can't be "fancy."  filipino food imo can never be haute cuisine, "fine dining," etc.it hasn't "caught on" , because there isn't much appeal.  why would there be?  it lacks in universal sophistication and aesthetics that are marketable in most 1st world countries.  

i have to ask,  do you truly give a shit if filipino food get's popular in america? or do you want a couple of filipino patriots on this site to tell you that your country's food is good or something?

I don't have any vested interest really.  I'm just curious.

I certainly don't think it's one of top cuisines in the world and would be really surprised if it got mainstream.  I think it's more of a cuisine where the appreciation stems from growing up eating it.

As far as your distaste for it, it actually goes hand in hand with the use of crappy ingredients.  Most filipino restaurants cater directly Filipinos and often they subpar ingredients to lower overhead, pretty much giving up quality.  I know it's sounds like an absurd notion but typical Filipino mentality seems to be short-sighted.

I believe that "elevating" Filipino food is not trying to make it fancy but simply not skimming on quality but using the best and freshest ingredients.  Sadly what's being given to the public is not this.

I'm sure the dishes you had would have been much better if this was done.  It's probably safe to say that most people, which might include your experience has only eaten in turo-turo (pre cooked/buffet) quality establishments. 

Edited by Fourtyounce48

so basically 

filipino restaurants catering directly to filipino patrons use subpar ingredients

in order to "elevate" filipino food fresh produce is necessary

filipino food - "it's more of a cuisine where the appreciation stems from growing up eating it"

the assumption that most people, myself included have only eaten in "turo x2" quality establishments

ok.

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

i think i did a decent job at answering yr questions. and i'm pretty sure that deep down inside, even before this thread's production, that you already knew these answers (giving you the benefit of the doubt). Edited by SSchadenfreude

so basically 

filipino restaurants catering directly to filipino patrons use subpar ingredients

in order to "elevate" filipino food fresh produce is necessary

filipino food - "it's more of a cuisine where the appreciation stems from growing up eating it"

the assumption that most people, myself included have only eaten in "turo x2" quality establishments

ok.

Yes it would help.

Imagine judging pizza if the ingredients used were similar to what Dominos use in their pizzas.

i think i did a decent job at answering yr questions. and i'm pretty sure that deep down inside, even before this thread's production, that you already knew these answers (giving you the benefit of the doubt).

Yes decent.

Yes I do have my own personal opinion why I don't think its popularity will rival other cuisines such as Thai or Vietnamese.

I do however think it hasn't been properly represented which would help better it's reputation to a certain degree.

Yes it would help.

Imagine judging pizza if the ingredients used were similar to what Dominos use in their pizzas.

well dominos sells millions of pizzas in america a year even without the use of fresh ingredients.  i have yet to hear of "ferdinand's filipino foods" offering balut home delivery.  

well dominos sells millions of pizzas in america a year even without the use of fresh ingredients.  i have yet to hear of "ferdinand's filipino foods" offering balut home delivery.  

LOL, true but to be fair that's due to the corp backing. but that's really besides the point of my initial example.

You can't make a good pizza using Domino's ingredients.

Edited by Fourtyounce48

Yes decent.

Yes I do have my own personal opinion why I don't think its popularity will rival other cuisines such as Thai or Vietnamese.

I do however think it hasn't been properly represented which would help better it's reputation to a certain degree.

okay, i'lll play.

why in your own personal opinion do you think that the popularity of filipino food will not rival thai or viet cuisines?

i don't get your schtick about how filipino food is misrepresented.  you mentioned that filipino establishments  EVEN cater to filipino patrons while implementing subpar ingredients.  maybe that is just how shit is done.  filipinos still eat that shit, while other people in the u.s. don't really care for it.  

so even if fresh produce was used, how would you personally market or represent filipino food?

LOL, true but to be fair that's due to the corp backing. but that's really besides the point of my initial example.

my point is, is that most people in the world like pizza.  why?  cause it's universally palatable.  

okay, i'lll play.

why in your own personal opinion do you think that the popularity of filipino food will not rival thai or viet cuisines?

i don't get your schtick about how filipino food is misrepresented.  you mentioned that filipino establishments  EVEN cater to filipino patrons while implementing subpar ingredients.  maybe that is just how shit is done.  filipinos still eat that shit, while other people in the u.s. don't really care for it.  

so even if fresh produce was used, how would you personally market or represent filipino food?

In essence it's not as "good" as say Thai or Vietnamese cuisine.

It doesn't have the sophistication in technique or ingredients used.  I mean just looking at the most popular dishes the seasoning or spices used are limited to basically soy, vinegar, salt and pepper.  The depth of flavor or nuance flavors you get from other cuisines is just not there.

Here's a video of a place that might be doing it right.  

It's not 100% authentic but this might be a good way to interpret filipino dishes in a way to gain popularity.

Edited by Fourtyounce48

my point is, is that most people in the world like pizza.  why?  cause it's universally palatable.  

Like I said, there's enough people that have had good pizza to make it popular which enables corp to take advantage of it and make a profit out of selling unpalatable pizza to ignorant consumers.

I don't think its fair to say that most people have had a chance to consume a great filipino dish.  And that's not because it doesn't exist.

In essence it's not as "good" as say Thai or Vietnamese cuisine.

It doesn't have the sophistication in technique or ingredients used.  I mean just looking at the most popular dishes the seasoning or spices used are limited to basically soy, vinegar, salt and pepper.  The depth of flavor or nuance flavors you get from other cuisines is just not there.

Here's a video of a place that might be doing it right.  

It's not 100% authentic but this might be a good way to interpret filipino dishes in a way to gain popularity.

^that shit is not filipino food.  it's filipino influenced fusion. the guy in the 2nd video even said that shit wasn't filipino food.  not to mention that the philippines is a synthesis country.  

for example there is authentic chinese, japanese, thai, etc foods that have translated well overseas.  many are very successful in the u.s.a.  they have no need of other ethnic influences.

the two examples you gave me just reaffirm my original opinion that without the  crutch of outside influence, technique, et, that filipino cuisine is pretty much unmarketable in the u.s. to the nonfilipino.

Like I said, there's enough people that have had good pizza to make it popular which enables corp to take advantage of it and make a profit out of selling unpalatable pizza to ignorant consumers.

I don't think its fair to say that most people have had a chance to consume a great filipino dish.  And that's not because it doesn't exist.

the only way that filipino food can be great/marketable is if it utilizes the crutch of other ethnic cuisines.  thus it ceases to be filipino food.

can authentic filipino food ever be "great?"  i doubt it.  can filipino food fusing their shit with that of other countrys' cuisines?  maybe. 

would i go there?  probably not, when i could just go to those other places instead.  if there was some authentic dish that happened to filipino, that was actually good, then maybe.  until now i've yet to experience or hear of one.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

cute how  you edit shit.

"It's not 100% authentic but this might be a good way to interpret filipino dishes in a way to gain popularity."

Edited by Fourtyounce48, Today, 11:00 AM.

man this thread sucks.

no hate to the op, but if you really want to argue the virtues of filipino foods then we can correspond via pm or chat it up tomorrow or something.

cute how  you edit shit.

"It's not 100% authentic but this might be a good way to interpret filipino dishes in a way to gain popularity."

Edited by Fourtyounce48, Today, 11:00 AM.

I didn't edit it to misconstrue something.  I added it even before I saw your response.

I'm not trying to prove your wrong or right.  I'm just exchanging ideas here.

I didn't edit it to misconstrue something.  I added it even before I saw your response.

I'm not trying to prove your wrong or right.  I'm just exchanging ideas here.

it actually wasn't before initial response.  technically my post was before yours.  my edit was after.  i only edited it in order to quote your videos.  at first it was just prose intended to be directly under the videos, but you had posted before my prose-only post.  so i was forced to edit which shows that the time was after your edit (when infact my comment was before).

man this thread sucks.

no hate to the op, but if you really want to argue the virtues of filipino foods then we can correspond via pm or chat it up tomorrow or something.

The thing is I'm not arguing the virtues of Filipino cuisine.  I've stated numerous times that I agree that it falls below other Asian cuisine.  

I do think that you haven't had good Filipino food not because it doesn't exist but you just haven't experienced it yet.  

I just disagree with your premise that since you've had a small sample size of Filipino food and you didn't enjoy then it sucks as whole.  Could it be you've just not had good Filipino food?  

maybe shit could gain popularity by that of fusing and utilizing outside influences.  it may gain popularity, but guarantee that most patrons would choose the fusion rather than real filipino food.

think of all the fundamental differences between filipino food and other asian shit.

like i mentioned, there are many others in the u.s. that have no need to implement outside crutches.

maybe shit could gain popularity by that of fusing and utilizing outside influences.  it may gain popularity, but guarantee that most patrons would choose the fusion rather than real filipino food.

think of all the fundamental differences between filipino food and other asian shit.

like i mentioned, there are many others in the u.s. that have no need to implement outside crutches.

I know what you're saying but you're overvaluing the idea of fusion.  Yes they mentioned it the video but that's more to due with the pairing of components.  The flavor and majority of components that I saw was authentic.