Japanese Jeans with Modern Cuts

mickawes

Guest Fade to Black
I'm not really seeing the vast resemblance to Dior here that keeps getting lauded. Diors cuts are a lot more tailored. While those John Bulls are certainly beautiful jeans, they look completely different to the long super skinny bunched Dior asthetic.

well i compared them to Dior because both are going for a slim, almost form hugging look with a longer inseam...but whereas Dior's are slim in the sense that it's slouchy without being constricting (slightly anti fit may be a good way to put it), more of a 'wasted elegance' look, the Johnbulls exercise more sobriety and restraint in the cut.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i compared them to Dior because both are going for a slim, almost form hugging look with a longer inseam...but whereas Dior's are slim in the sense that it's slouchy without being constricting (slightly anti fit may be a good way to put it), more of a 'wasted elegance' look, the Johnbulls exercise more sobriety and restraint in the cut.

im not sure that's exactly the right comparison, as i've seen you wear your diors and you don't wear them nearly as slim as most people do. Those john bulls look great, but they really don't look anything like dior hommes.

image008hr9.jpg

here's a pair of stretched out 19cm diors for comparison.

Guest Fade to Black
im not sure that's exactly the right comparison, as i've seen you wear your diors and you don't wear them nearly as slim as most people do. Those john bulls look great, but they really don't look anything like dior hommes.

here's a pair of stretched out 19cm diors for comparison.

well one thing is i think it's dependent on body structure...the pic of the worn johnbulls above fit slimmer than the 21 cm diors i have in my true size...

also most of my Diors are in the 21 cm model so it's not the tighter look, but the pair of 30W 19 cms i have from current season are snug enough that it's my correct size, but after some stretching out it looks a bit like the picture you posted...given these two examples, that's not exactly a skin tight look either. For reference you can see the pic i posted a while back w/ the dust wash jeans and indigo dyed t-shirt.

tweedles - I couldn't imagine that the sc008 are much slimmer in the thighs, though they definitely taper a lot more. The sc003 are a real straight leg so the hem is the same width as the knee.

Also, the rise is middle. I really like that, because the yoke, crotch and all sit pretty low, despite the fact that the rise is higher than most I'm used to. They can be worn comfortably on the hips yet still retain the low-slung look. For reference, if you put the SD-103s and the SC-003s on top of each other, basically they line up perfectly up to where the pockets and front rise end, but then the backrise of the SC003s goes up higher.

I'd say the closest fit I can compare these to are the Slim Jims, though the Slim-Jims are roomier (have to wear a 29 in Jims, but I can go to a 28 in Johnbulls).

minya,

I couldn't imagine that the sc008 are much slimmer in the thighs, though they definitely taper a lot more. The sc003 are a real straight leg so the hem is the same width as the knee.

:)

and midrise sounds good. i like my japanese denim as much as anyone else, but i want my APC-esque rise too. i was thinking julian red, but if these can compare then i want these instead.

or...ande whalls. now there's a thought.

are long johns like... the fit of some Hanes long johns?

Yea, they can be. The waist runs big, so if you get them in a snug waist fit (for me, this would be 28), they'd be tight like a second skin - they look and feel like Hanes long johns. In my case, I got them in a size 30 to loosen up the fit a bit, but still get the really tapered leg. The result was pretty good, IMO.

if you go to the Nudie website and look at their fit guide, the guy wearing the black long johns has a really sick fit. mine sized up are about the exact same tightness as his, but my assless frame doesn't show them off quite as well. =]

The pocket/yoke configuration of Diors is so low/unique that you really are going to be hard pressed to find something like it on the back side of things.

Those Somet slim fits measure out almost exactly like a pair of Dior 19cm, but are about 2-3cm lower in rise. The construction details of Somet kill Diors too, and perhaps because they're not Diors and have a more traditional pocket/yoke setup, they might have a little more shelf life to boot. $225 for slim/tapered 13-14oz Japanese selvage, really hard to beat imo.

• 2 weeks later...