how do you make your height work for you?

jo3 b

this is most likely gonna hit home with the more vertically challenged folks, as opposed to the taller ones, who from what i've seen dont really complain about height.

neither do i, for the most part.

but as far as fitting is concerned, as well as accesories, and overall fashion in general, what do you do to make yourself look best. this would be under the assumption that being tall is of the norm or maybe "better"

(say, 6 10 + ?)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a short asian male, I see many of my brethen always buying clothing too big and ill-fitted, at least state-side. Perhaps its the hip-hop look they going for but if you are short, you want fitted and reasonably slim clothing to make you look taller and leaner. Baggy jeans and t-shirts that go below your waist make you look shorter and sloppy. Also, slimmer/pointer shoes enhance/elongate your profile and try buying boots or shoes with taller heels, this will also add to the effect. If you're fat, work out, get slim, and have GOOD POSTURE. I think this is the one pet-peeve I have, at least unconciously when I see someone with bad posture, I immediately think they are sloppy. How you stand is very important; women immediately pick up on posture...

yeah being tall is great, i love having sleeves finish around my forearm and all tees show midriff unless worn baggy, especially good in floods as the hem of your pants is above it all
Back in the days of public school I had this like mad (the tee's ending on midrift). I would always et in trouble and stuff, and they'd tell me to "buy clothes that fit" fat chance I'm long waisted like mad!!!! (prob also has a lot to do with the abnormally small waist thing I got going.)

But in general, I'm an average height, 5'6-5'7 feet, and everyone see's me as 5'8-5'10 just outta good posture and poise, it's amazing what how you carry yourself does for how people see you.

As a short asian male, I see many of my brethen always buying clothing too big and ill-fitted, at least state-side. Perhaps its the hip-hop look they going for but if you are short, you want fitted and reasonably slim clothing to make you look taller and leaner. Baggy jeans and t-shirts that go below your waist make you look shorter and sloppy. Also, slimmer/pointer shoes enhance/elongate your profile and try buying boots or shoes with taller heels, this will also add to the effect. If you're fat, work out, get slim, and have GOOD POSTURE. I think this is the one pet-peeve I have, at least unconciously when I see someone with bad posture, I immediately think they are sloppy. How you stand is very important; women immediately pick up on posture...

Great advice. I've noticed that vertical stripes have a tendency to fool the eye, so pinstriped shirts can help.

Something else that's really important is staying slim if you're on the short side. Even being slightly "overweight" for your body type, if your on the short side, is glaringly obvious and makes you look, no matter how many of djrajio's "rules," seem rather, well...

Portly.

Unless your going for the big n' jolly look ala Tim Harrington of Les Savy Fav, which is totally awesome in my book. Of course, you gotta rock that flab right, but if you can pull it off, your set.

Edit: noticed that djrajio already mentioned this. Oh well.

posture is super important. i'm just the standard 5' 9''-10''. i'm also fairly on the skinny side. slouching posture just pronounced my scrawny figure and made me appear unathletic. shoulders straight can go a long way, making one appear lean instead. as for clothes, i just buy according to measurements. i think it's ok to sag a little, but not pube low...that's ridiculous.

yeah being tall is great, i love having sleeves finish around my forearm and all tees show midriff unless worn baggy, especially good in floods as the hem of your pants is above it all

yeah, my gf has the same problem. she's 6' (taller than me by a full inch or so) and finding clothes has been a problem (apc is one of the few that makes jeans long enough for her). it sucks since we both like fashion/shopping but she can rarely ever find anything that she likes that also fits her.

for me, i'm a broad-shouldered, short-legged guy (32" length in all my jeans), so i just try to make sure that the clothes i wear work to lengthen my profile.

Im around 6'0 but my legs are extremely long compared to my upper body. if I would wear my pants/jeans like they're supposed to be (pulled up) I would look superstupid, so I wear them a lot lower which I'm used to anyways..

My buddy whos a little self concious about his height (even though hes like 5'8") always does this thing in pictures where he puts his arm around other peoples necks.

I just noticed this the other week when I looked at his pictures.

It makes him look like the tallest one there....

and have GOOD POSTURE. I think this is the one pet-peeve I have, at least unconciously when I see someone with bad posture, I immediately think they are sloppy. How you stand is very important; women immediately pick up on posture...

good words. i need to work on this myself. good posture also makes you look slimmer.

yeah, i have horrible posture so it makes me look shorter than i really am. i'm about to try working on my posture again. however, once you go slouchy, it's hard going back, but i'd rather not end up like some of the elderly walking around chinatown with really bad hunch backs.

Anyone have a supercure for the slouch?

fuck, I wish I could remember -- I read an article in a magazine a while ago all about posture and how to correct slouch. It was based on a book, I believe, that was written about slouching and how to correct it. All the details are long gone in the inaccessible benthic depths of my memory, but I do remember one: putting a book on your head somehow contributes to correcting posture. Basically, what you have to do is "re-train" your spine to not bend over.

My posture isn't awful, but it isn't great, either. I wish I could remember what book it was that the article was reviewing.

Believe me, these days there's absolutely nothing tough about hanging out at a high end yoga studio. I do it for a living. Find a style that you like - some are harder than others and it's probably best to start with a gentle Hatha class - then move on up to one of the more dynamic styles when you feel comfortable.

Yoga gets a rough deal from some people but if you stick at it You'll soon see the benefits in many different areas of your life.

yeah, posture would make the biggest difference, instead of buying a new wardrobe thats fitted, spend the money on an oesteopath.

Fitted clothes do make one look taller but baggy stuff sometimes looks alright too.

Tights clothes dont allways make me look taller ( im 5,8 ) I tryed on some horrid zara slims and they made me look like a fat arse, however my apcs lengthen my legs i think. Slimmer Ts make your arms look longer cos the sleeves tend to be shorter.

Cardies, jackets etc draw a nice lengthening line down your front. V necks are allways flattering.

That said pinstripe everything wont work!

What about top hats?