Superfuture official MCAT countdown

crisis

I know a few of you out there have been breakin your balls studying for this shit for the past few weeks. Less than two weeks left, let's kill this bitch. I'd like to thank superfuture and supertrash for distracting me from studying every day. If i don't get a 30+, i blame you. 12 days...

Any of you MCAT veterans have any suggestions on the best way to review these last few days please feel free to chime in.

The past few weeks?! you meant to say, "The past few months," right?

I hope so.

For those who don't know:

MCAT is an entrance exam for med schools. One of the longest standardized test out there. You go to the test center @ 730AM and you get out around 6PM.

I took the MCAT twice. Taking that shit twice sucked balls.

i went from a 27O to 32Q. the score is nowhere near the average score for the top 15-20 schools but it's good enough. you might be wondering how i boosted my score from 27 to 32...

my answer: take princeton review. screw kaplan

i took both prep courses and i can tell you that kaplan sucked some major ass (not just the instructors but the course materials eg) books

My life had been miserable while i was studying for that test. the overall outlook on life was just terrible. like if i saw somebody having fun, i always said to myself "shit, why the fuck is everyone having so much fun. college sucks."

my salvation from the mcat hell was internet consumerism. my spending habit has slowed down a lot though. i was buying kicks and jeans every week while i was studying for the test.

im working on the secondary applications right now. im going to interview @ george washington in september. :)

had i known that this application process was going to be this arduous, i would have never gone pre-med. it's just ridiculous.

good luck

JUST REMEMBER THIS: It's not just a test. It's your future.

Thanks for the advice, and congrats on your interview and score. Good luck with that. I'm actually taking princeton review right now, but have only been "hardcore" studying for the past week or two and double timing it to 8-12 hours a day from now until the wednesday before the test (haha we'll see how this plan works out). I just took aamc 8 and scored a 31, so hopefully i can boost up my physical score a little and my bio score is usually higher, so hopefully that goes up. You never know what your form will have on test day i guess.

your scores on 7R and 8 are good indicators of the actual score you will get on the real deal. actually, my scores on 7 and 8 were dead-on.

i did very little 2 weeks before the test.

i just thought there wasnt anything i could do. i reviewed the formulas everyday so i wouldnt forget on the test day.

one hint though: make sure that you know what the variables in physics (and chem) formulas mean. especially in electromagnetics.

Princeton review does an excellent job explaining the formulas.

My instructors all emphasized that there's very little memorization...

My bio score wasnt as high as i expected just b/c 6 out of 11 passages were genetics. i was like "oh shit. wtf wtf wtf. this is all greek to me. i just gotta extract some info from the passages" my bio section was insanely hard but the curve/scale must have been really good... b/c i just had no idea what the fuck i was doing

so one final hint: don't freak out if a section turns out to be insanely hard. that means everyone finds that section tough. the curve will be good.

(sucks if everyone finds it fair and you are like OH WTF

Man, I am studying too. My internet consumerism is at an all time high, and I have been consuming massive amounts of diet coke. I need to start studying like 5 hours a day. Hard though because of having to work to pay rent. F-in ridiculous. Word of advice from my course instructor (took it before because I thought I was gonna take the april test, ha!) FLASHCARDS

Good lucks guys. May the best student score the highest, lol. At least I will come out of this with lots of cool clothes......

there's another message board online

i dont know if youve heard of it

but here

www.studentdoctor.net

BEWARE: This forum resembles nike talk. except it doesnt deal with kicks and the community is comprised of really neurotic med / pre-med students. people are freaking out 24/7 on that forum. but you will find valuable info about admission/extracurricular shit. people PM me and ask me questions like

"Do you mind sharing you stats (Mcat score, GPA) and how long did it take you to get an interview from XYZ school of medicine?"

ah yah i'm on that forum, w/ 10 posts or so haha. There are a bunch of turd burglers on there, i hope the kids in med school aren't too much like that, OMOGMOGMOGMGOMG i'm only scoring a 14 in Bio, i'm gonna dIE! hehe hypebeasting over examkracker books

No way am I even getting near that forum. Stressed as is, haha. I'm kinda excited to take the test. Gonna be a blast for that month before my classes start again. And god damn am I gonna get drunk after the test. Probably blow chunks and spill beer all over my straight svens, haha.

BEWARE: This forum resembles nike talk. except it doesnt deal with kicks and the community is comprised of really neurotic med / pre-med students. people are freaking out 24/7 on that forum.

hahahaha that sounds great :D

seems like applying to med is pretty similar over there than it is here..

heres my advice for the test...

1/ in the week before the exam, assuming you've tightened up all your content, work on full length exams and as many questions as you can stomach, and READ THE EXPLANATIONS, even for the ones you got right.

2/ get plenty of sleep in the two days (minimum) before the test. if you are not well rested it almost doesnt matter how much you have prepared.

3/ bring music or earplugs (or both) to the test. don't talk to anyone in the morning or during the lunch break. everyone will be freaking out and looking for people to affirm their nervousness. dont indulge that nonsense.

4/ make sure you have the endurance to get through a full length exam without losing your mind. my approach to this was to take one full length every day in the week before the exam - i dont necessarily recommend doing that specifically but you get the idea.

re: kaplan vs princeton, i took (and have taught mcat for) kaplan, the materials you get for the course (especially all the online shit) are excellent. im sure princeton has similar shit. the teachers dont matter much except for answering questions or explaining things. rocking the mcat is all about what you do with your time and the materials kaplan/princeton provide.

good luck to everyone taking the test!

ps. avoid studentdoctor.net like the plague

what's AA?

I tried getting like 8 hours of sleep everyday during the two weeks before the test

b/c I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep at all the night before the test.

I worked out everyday so i get sufficiently tired to go to bed early.

Another thing you can try is to wake up around 630AM to get yourself used to waking up early.

Hahaha, that is some funny shit. I just found out that I am going to be working in a microbiology/etox lab under one of my professors starting in the fall. I am so excited! I have been trying to get into a lab for the last three years. Gonna be bad ass.

Also people, stay hydrated the week before the test. Being dehydrated will make you super tired and unmotivated to study. Now to follow my own advice...

• 2 weeks later...

ahh i was kinda depressed about the test after i took it. I feel better about it now. I got caught up at the end of VR and skimmed two passages. I was hoping to score the same as the practice tests but now i think i'll be happy to break 28. Anyway gotta wait for score release, 2 months, man this is gonna suck.

hey guys

i am currently studying in Australia (bioinformatics/Science) degree and i am planning to undertake my postgraduate degree over in the US

and now i am preparing for the GRE with the help from the book that is published by KAPLAN, and i am wondering what sort of score do i need in order to get into say a university that is ranked in the top20 (i would like to do a course called 'Engineering Management' or something similar)

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

• 1 month later...

umm. yeah, that sucked.

well, time to dust off the old examkrakers books

i wrote probably 3 serious papers in my life, can't form a proper thesis and still got a P on the writing sample. And I wrote my first essay on Body Count's album Body Count, and the song copkiller.

the section i thought i did best in (physical) i got fucking crushed, and I thought i got killed in bio but ended up ok. verbal was my highest!

everyone always gets crushed in physical haha. that's the easiest section to improve on and gain mad points because people don't do too well in it - so one question can sometimes get you another point - while in bio you'll have to get another 4-5 right to get a point.

anyway. the med school application process is fucking retarded. it's classist (yay for spending thousands of dollars on testing, prep classes, plane tickets, and application fees. think they screen you for secondaries? hell no they just want your application money) and has no real reason or rhyme to it. countless people i know and myself included, have been accepted to great schools and rejected from their not-as-good-state school. hell, i got accepted by a place and they never told me, they just told me i gave up my position in the class by not responding... i was like what the fuck, i was accepted?

either way, wherever you go, you'll be an md. it's the boards that matter.

hey guys

i am currently studying in Australia (bioinformatics/Science) degree and i am planning to undertake my postgraduate degree over in the US

and now i am preparing for the GRE with the help from the book that is published by KAPLAN, and i am wondering what sort of score do i need in order to get into say a university that is ranked in the top20 (i would like to do a course called 'Engineering Management' or something similar)

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

i took kaplan for my GMAt ended up with a 520 score ... didnt get to a good business school so i decided to go for an mla ... id say above 600 shld be good.

i hope everyone did well on the august mcat.

i'm done applying and i've interviewed at 3 schools.

i'm going to dartmouth tomorrow for my fourth interview. ahhhhhhhh

Congrats herpsky, good luck with your interviews. Totally surprised with my MCAT score, i really thought i performed horribly on the day. I guess i should get my application in ASAP. Hope everyone else did well, and if things didn't turn out the way you hoped, the CBT is shorter. My roomate jumped 8 points from his MCAT last year, so don't give up.