lets talk watches

poopie boy

that watch needs more ugly shit on it

i don't care, as long as the price is high enough i will buy it. i think it needs bronze on it though cuz silver and gold is not enough. i want my watch to look like a whole podium not just like it's first and runner up.

i have this: (photo is not mine)

1966Cosmonaute809repdial.jpg

1969 breitling cosmonaute with restored dial (original dial was completely fucked up due to water i believe). mine has a gold case instead of a silver one though and a brown strap my father had custom made for it a few decades ago. one of these days i will invest in 2 or 3 original breitling straps for it.

i have this: (photo is not mine)

1966Cosmonaute809repdial.jpg

1969 breitling cosmonaute with restored dial (original dial was completely fucked up due to water i believe). mine has a gold case instead of a silver one though and a brown strap my father had custom made for it a few decades ago. one of these days i will invest in 2 or 3 original breitling straps for it.

sure you do lolls

it's not fake you idiot. it's redialed, so it's not going to look exactly original.

nice egpt. gold fill or plated?

it doesn't look like it used to at all, but it looks exactly like the on on the first photo i showed. the original dial didn't even have the twin planes logo before(I can't remember what was the logo though, this was sent to switzerland about 5 years ago and it stayed there for close to 2 years) and the proportions on subdials and numbers were a lot different but this is the dial that the breitling workshop applies to all breitlings made between 1960/1970 when the original dial is damaged beyond repair.

about being gold filled or plated i honestly dunno,but considering how old it is it should be gold filled no?

breitling made gold filled and golf plated models throughout the history of the cosmo. good way to tell is if the case back is steel it's plated, if it's gold it's filled.

who did the restoration? whoever did it probably took off an earlier dial and put the double plane dial on. which kinda sucks b/c the original dial was probably an older model. probably should have had the original dial restored instead of redailing it. what's the serial number on the caseback?

breitling made gold filled and golf plated models throughout the history of the cosmo. good way to tell is if the case back is steel it's plated, if it's gold it's filled.

who did the restoration? whoever did it probably took off an earlier dial and put the double plane dial on. which kinda sucks b/c the original dial was probably an older model. probably should have had the original dial restored instead of redailing it. what's the serial number on the caseback?

it's plated then since the back case is steel. it was sent directly to breitling headquarters which i believe are in switzerland. like i said, it's common procedure for breitling to do this with these models from the research i made, i am sure the previous dial was damaged beyond repair considering how bad it looked. it literally went through war so that kind of damage was "normal".

serial number is 809.

yeah, they're notorious for using whatever spare parts they have around, so you probably didn't get an era-correct dial. if you care enough to make it correct, Horological Services Inc. is the best around, they have or get you the parts.

809 is the reference number, not the serial number. should be on the inside of the caseback if it's not on the outside, just to date it if you care to figure out which dial should be on it.

yeah, they're notorious for using whatever spare parts they have around, so you probably didn't get an era-correct dial. if you care enough to make it correct, Horological Services Inc. is the best around, they have or get you the parts.

809 is the reference number, not the serial number. should be on the inside of the caseback if it's not on the outside, just to date it if you care to figure out which dial should be on it.

1163028 then?

im too lazy to read back further than five pages but im consumed recently with the desire to own a watch.

im thinking leather, because i already wear a sterling ring on my left hand, a simple gold bracelet on my right, and some kind of necklace every single day.

dilemma -- leather straps that aren't black or brown: easy to come across at inexpensive to moderate prices?

do you mean just colored leather straps? they're a dime a dozen.

do you mean a nice watch that comes with a colored leather strap? i can only think of a couple breitlings that come with a blue gator strap off hand, but i'm sure there are more. might be better off buying a watch you like that will go with a color strap you want and then getting the strap separately, custom if necessary

1163028 then?

this dates to 1967

nice to have a breitling expert here :)

i checked the site , and out of photo memory this one looks familiar to me http://www.horologicalservices.com/dial_luminous.htm

would it make sense to you to have this dial match that serial number ?

i generally don't buy vintage unless they're all original.. i bought a redailed iwc once but returned it after a week b/c it bothered me. franken-watches (a watch with random incorrect replacement parts) aren't worth as much.

here is what it should look like

48_062607152355_1.jpg

http://www.ewatchshow.com/view/watch/48_062607152355

that one from HSI is an AOPA model, and they were primarily earlier and were phased out in the early 60s. it's entirely possible that your caseback isn't original too, so it could be an earlier watch but have the wrong serial number.

but if you had that dial from your link, i hope they let you keep it when the swapped it out b/c those things are fuckin rare as hell and you should def get it restored.

dials from the early-mid 60s are a crap shot b/c breitling wasn't all that worried with consistency - so you got some new watches with old dials, etc...

here's some more info http://www.watchlife.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=144

this dates to 1967

i generally don't buy vintage unless they're all original.. i bought a redailed iwc once but returned it after a week b/c it bothered me. franken-watches (a watch with random incorrect replacement parts) aren't worth as much.

oh great, thanks for the info! my dad said he bought it around 1969 so that's why i assumed that date.

i think i do remember those rough shaped numbers, i'm almost certain that was the dial. i thought it didn't have the twin planes logo before but i guess what is different is the placement of the "cosmonaute" which is on top in the new dial.

to be honest, i like the new display a lot more, but at that time it bothered me that they placed a different dial making me feel a bit suspicious about the whole thing, but i did a bit of research online and found that breitling itself used this particular dial to replace watches from that era so i felt better about it.

i understand that you as a vintage collector look for all original watches, but considering that i love the watch as is and it's value to me is sentimental more than anything else, i don't think i will ever bother replacing the dial, but thanks for that informatio, it may come handy some time in the future :)

that one from HSI is an AOPA model, and they were primarily earlier and were phased out in the early 60s. it's entirely possible that your caseback isn't original too, so it could be an earlier watch but have the wrong serial number.

but if you had that dial from your link, i hope they let you keep it when the swapped it out b/c those things are fuckin rare as hell and you should def get it restored.

nah, the caseback is original for sure because it has a particular mark on it that is still here and the watch was untouched until 5 years ago so i am 99% that it is the dial from your link.

do you mean just colored leather straps? they're a dime a dozen.

do you mean a nice watch that comes with a colored leather strap? i can only think of a couple breitlings that come with a blue gator strap off hand, but i'm sure there are more. might be better off buying a watch you like that will go with a color strap you want and then getting the strap separately, custom if necessary

i'm pretty sure im going to have to go with buying a watch i like and then hunting down some straps. preferably in navy or grey.

its probably been asked before but fuck if i care, keep the thread alive

OMC WANTS WATCHES WITH SIMPLE, CLASSIC, NO-NONSENSE FACES THAT HE CAN PURCHASE IN THE 150 - 300 RANGE. IM TALKING JUST TELL ME THE TIME SHIT, NO DATE, OKAY? GO.