superconfessional

I had house rabbits for many years. Rabbitry is a fucking superpet. They are a no-shit blend of dog and cat, although it takes a couple of years to litterbox train them. But once they get it, they don't ever stray. Ever. Very clean and intelligent pets.

They taste really good but I could never eat one now.

It's still pretty harsh out there. I'm a trade guy and things have bounced back significantly for me, but that ain't saying much when you're bouncing back from zero. 2009 was brutal, almost no work and pure savings gouging.

A confession -- I just squandered 80 bucks on discontinued antiperspirant lol. Well, maybe not "squandered" since I will use it and you can't get it anymore. My shit popped up on Amazon and I bought all 21 units the dude had.

Things are starting to pick up for me. Self esteem elevating, got good friends, good family, learned how to count my blessings, haven't been depressed in awhile, and i'm even datin a pretty fly bz.

But at the same time I guess I been down soo long it still takes me awhile to recognize when something good is coming my way. hoping I don't find a way to fuck shit up and that I learn how to open up again.

This post isn't that entertaining, so if you're expecting something like that just move along.

I had a meeting with one of my French literature professors last Friday to discuss a paper revision and he asked me what I was doing after graduation (this coming May). I said I didn't know and he recommended I apply for a teacher's aide exchange program with France. Said he would write the letter of recommendation. There’s a really good chance I’ll be accepted, too. One of my majors is French, my grades are very good and I go to a prestigious school. I also have had a part-time teaching job before.

The idea is exciting but kind of scares the hell out of me. While I do get to list preference cities, I could be placed anywhere - like Martinique (but I'd most likely end up in continental France). I would only get ~850 euros a month or so, but would also only work ~15 hours a week. I could probably make decent money if I learned how to tutor English on the side, but I have no idea how. I would have to figure out housing, etc. Most worrisome for me though is trying to meet people, especially in a foreign country. My French isn't all that great yet (better by the time I go, but still) and so it seems like it would be really difficult. I haven't been in a situation where I had to make new friends anywhere in a long time (without mutual acquaintances).

Still, it seems like a really awesome opportunity to live in France and improve my French. I'm also just ready to get out of Texas. It’d be nice to be able to travel around Europe in my free time, too. Assuming I did meet people, I think it would be really refreshing to have a new social circle. I don't have plans to be a teacher as a career, but it would probably be good for international work experience and graduate school applications.

I'll probably do it. I have nothing better lined up after graduation and I don't want to stay in Austin, move in with my mom, or try moving somewhere else on a limb with no prospects. Still, it's a very intimidating idea. I have quite a bit of money saved up (would prefer not to dip into it, but can) so financially I'm not really concerned. I just fear not meeting people and feeling completely isolated.

Edited by wurm

Do it. It will be the best thing you ever did. You will regret not going, if u can speak English and French you can tutor it. The kids bring you their homework or u just go and have coffee and talk. Meeting people is not hard as a foreigner at a university. Don't worry about the cash, it's replaceable, the opportunity isn't.

living abroad can be excellent and france is amazing. that being said, i did a teaching aide thing there and i had a terrible 11 months - apart from becoming completely fluent i really regretted it.

then again, i was a 17 yo trying to teach 12-18yo... kids treated me like a teacher so it was difficult to make friends. plus i was an arrogant, immature dickhole straight out of highschool so that had something to do with it. plus i had a really shitty host family right at the start which kinda threw me off thereafter.

on balance i would still say do it. try and get in a big city/somewhere with activities that match your interests (mountains etc). be ready for the other teachers to make you their bitch but throw yourself into everything you can - don't play the loner card like i did. travel heaps as well.

Edited by philosophiliac