What are your favourite fashion magazines?

odakyu

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Marmalade is so gimmicky.

My bibles are

i-D

Crash - beautiful French mag

10 Men (like its conversational informal style but bit too full of scandalous gay gossip)

Fantastic Man (unique and truly fantastic, gorgeous layout)

Another Man

still buy Arena Homme Plus but bit too poncey for me now

Acne Paper is beautiful with its large format and interesting articles

and of course Dazed and Confused, whom I've been lucky to write for!

that's already waaayy too much time to spend reading fashion mags!

A friend in the fashion industry recommended Commons & Sense mag which looked good but it was in Japanese - do others rate it?

I think Marmalade is so gimmicky.

My bibles are

i-D

Crash - beautiful French mag

10 Men (like its conversational informal style but bit too full of scandalous gay gossip)

Fantastic Man (unique and truly fantastic, gorgeous layout)

Another Man

still buy Arena Homme Plus but bit too poncey for me now

Acne Paper is beautiful with its large format and interesting articles

and of course Dazed and Confused, whom I've been lucky to write for!

that's already waaayy too much time to spend reading fashion mags!

A friend in the fashion industry recommended Commons & Sense mag which looked good but it was in Japanese - do others rate it?

Sense is hands down the best new Japanese men's fashion magazine out now. They are very good at coordinating looks/trends w/ up-and-coming domestic designers.

Sense is hands down the best new Japanese men's fashion magazine out now. They are very good at coordinating looks/trends w/ up-and-coming domestic designers.

How is it compared to Men's Non-no or Huge? Better?

http://mensnonno.shueisha.co.jp/home.html

Men's Non-No is pretty much the bible of fashion for young men in Japan.

depends what religion the young man in Japan subscribes to...

I`d say nowadays Huge is the bible or a lotta guys who follow the HF, Takishin, TET school of style..it used to be Boon and the excellent (but now out of business) Asayan.

Ollie mag is the shit if you like what Shingo3 (Recon), Yoshifumi Egawa (YopHectic) and some of the other Harajuku fam are putting out, plus you can try to learn a new trick every month.

SpyMaster is probably my favorite fashion mag. Though hard to find outside japan, it's comprehensive and doesn't just cover the "usual suspects" in japanese brands. Boon is much easier to spot and is another one of my favorites. The rest is kinda...ehhh Cool is ok, Street Jack? sucks, popeye no good. Kinda hit or miss

SpyMaster is probably my favorite fashion mag. Though hard to find outside japan, it's comprehensive and doesn't just cover the "usual suspects" in japanese brands. Boon is much easier to spot and is another one of my favorites. The rest is kinda...ehhh Cool is ok, Street Jack? sucks, popeye no good. Kinda hit or miss

It's because SpyMaster focuses only on the Kansai area of Japan and is only distributed in that region. Just curious, are most of you guys fluent enough to read the articles to these magazines? Because Boon, Cool, and even SpyMaster is shitty in terms of actual content.

Hell na I "read" those japanese mags solely for the pictures and to see whats new and cool in the streets. Well the last issue of boon for example had a nice section that elaborated on how to maximize living space and storage efficiency in a small room which I actually tried to read.

How do you guys get copies of non-no? I know some are overseas but is there any way to get it in the US?

there has been many threads about how to order japanese magazines on the internet, just search around.

people either :

-buy from japanese supermarkets /bookstores (like kinokuniya)

-have people bring or send some from japan

-order on the internet

It's because SpyMaster focuses only on the Kansai area of Japan and is only distributed in that region. Just curious, are most of you guys fluent enough to read the articles to these magazines? Because Boon, Cool, and even SpyMaster is shitty in terms of actual content.

i kind understand probably like 95% of what's inside smart, cool etc. since my japanese is far from being perfect. IMO, anyone with intermediate ability can get the general idea of what's written (anyway, it almost never goes further than what people are wearing, new lines and fads, seems like 50% of it is katagana anyway...)

• 2 weeks later...

i subscribe to iD. GQ Style has impressed me thus far. there's generally a pretty shitty selection in perth, so in terms of mens fashion, that's about all i go out of my way to buy or read.

for womens fashion - vogue and harpers bazaar are generally pretty decent.

• 1 year later...