poly800rock

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ Rep - can't rep you or I would

The Lips are an amazing live band.

dammit.

and yes they are. before i saw them i didnt even care for/listen to them too much at all. didnt own a single cd, went to the concert on a whim and a buddys extra ticket. one of the best decisions ive ever made. better live than in the studio without a doubt. it was a nearly religious experience. and i suppose coming from a hard and fast athiest, that should count for something.

"see flaming lips live" should be on everyones list of things to do before they die.

10/6/94 Grateful Dead, The Spectrum

11/21/96 Bob Dylan, Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, MI

7/31/99 Phish, Fuji Rock Festival, Niigata, Japan

2/3/05 Arcade Fire (encore with David Byrne), Irving Plaza

Summer 2001, Remember Shakti with John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain, Central Park

1/6/07 My Morning Jacket, the Wiltern

best hardcore show:

converge, catharsis, as the sun sets, some other band - sept 2000 @ as the sun set's practice space in Providence, Rhode Island.

this show was originally supposed to be at the late fort thunder, but the cops put an end to it. so the show got moved to as the sun set's practice space on the 5th floor of a large warehouse/band practice space. 200+ kids crammed into this small ass room and went insane throughout the whole show.

here is the only video i have seen of this show, perfect for converge's dvd.

5TNH35cAAOE

i'm in this video for a little bit, by the window sill

Damn, I've seen so many shows that I can't even begin to list a best one or anything, but a few 80's memories of the top of my head:

Schooly D/Fishbone - The Axis in Boston 1988 - Schooly played with a live punk band called Scram, all material from the Saturday Nite LP and totally killed the place, and then Fishbone put on a great performance as well. There was so much humidity in the room that Fishbone's electronic drum kit started to malfunction, sweat was literally dripping off the walls and ceiling.

Beastie Boys/Murphy's Law/Public Enemy - Capitol Theater NJ 1987 - Beasties in all their LTI insanity, bouncing off the walls, inflatable penis and caged dancer and all that. Murphy's Law handled the big stage well, and it was the first ever live performance for PE. They were by far the leat impressive part of the show. Chuck hadn't developed any stage presence yet so there was too much time between songs talking about stuff that the crowd didn't care about and waiting for Terminator X to start the next song. They came a long way as a live act because they were killing it a few years later.

Jesus And Mary Chain - Providence RI 1989 - The loudest show I've ever seen by far. They didn't have a drummer on this tour, just a drum machine which of course took a dump onstage 15 minutes into the show. They spent 5 minutes trying to fix it, then just leaned the guitars against the INCREDIBLY LOUD amps and left them feeding back and walked off stage. End of show. The house lights didn't come up for at least 15 minutes because they must not have realized the band wasn't going back on either, so it was just this insane feedback blasting the room for the whole interim. I blame this show for at least some of the tinnitus I have today.

Butthole Surfers - Numerous times between 88-91 - Back in the days when they had the mutilation movies, strobe lights, naked drummers and all the other wild stuff they used to do on stage. I was never brave enough to go to one of their shows on drugs, they were way too intense on their own.

I'm sure I'll remember more...

You're one lucky kid.

Sonic Youth live would have done it for me, but

w/ the YYY's, too?!

Damn.

YYY's were kinda off that night, and SY mostly played stuff from Rather Ripped, don't be toooo jealous. it was still an ace show though.

SY performing Daydream Nation next month on the same spot (McCarren Park) should be epic...

You're one lucky kid.

Sonic Youth live would have done it for me, but

w/ the YYY's, too?!

Damn.

YYY's were kinda off that night, and SY mostly played stuff from Rather Ripped, don't be toooo jealous. it was still an ace show though.

SY performing Daydream Nation next month on the same spot (McCarren Park) should be epic...

YYY's played a good set, but they were kinda off - it probably would've been better had it been nighttime. SY were great, and i think Rather Ripped is up there with Daydream Nation in terms of great songs, made even better live. it was a great concert - McCarren is my favorite outdoor venue, went to 5 concerts there last summer

and yes, SY preforming Daydream is gonna be amazing - i'll be there the_state

im considering taking some shrooms, but i dunno, im gonna be with my brother and his girlfriend..

you going to TV on the Radio the next day?

Rawkus show at Ruby Skye SF back in the day... Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Pharoah Monch, Skillz. easily my favorite show i've been to..

though Kweli is my fav mc, i gotta show Pharoah props for having the most insane crowd control. "Simon Says" had the building was shaking. in fact, he performed it twice, the second time being the encore performance at the end.

in that order I think

Sting

Yothu Yindi

Metallica

Anti Flag

Alien Ant Farm

Velvet Revolver

Die Ärzte (German)

Beatsteaks (German)

Papa Roach

Ben Harper

Death Cab for Cutie

Billy Talent

Donovan Frankenreiter

Hard Fi

Fettes Brot (German)

Sigur Ros (Awesome!)

Wir sind Helden (German)

Pearl Jam

Queens

Bloc Party

Fantastischen Vier (German)

And I'm seeing The Police in september :)

I recently saw Portugal The Man on their European tour and it was one of' date=' if not the best small venue shows I've ever seen.[/quote']

I saw portugal the man here in New Orleans. amazing show, I talked to the singer after the show and they were all cool dudes, except their merch girl tried ripping me off.

But, my best show ever was.............. Tenacious D.