best concerts you ever been to

poly800rock

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Ride at the Reading Festival in 92.

Rollins was there at his shouty intense best, Smashing Pumpkins too, at their whiney whiney worst, as well as Mudhoney, PiL, Pj Harvey, Public Enemy, Nirvana, Inspiral Carpets, Pavement, Beck, L-7, Screaming Trees, Nick Cave and the bad seeds and a bunch of other cool acts that I can't remember so readily right now.

Good weekeend. Rained a lot and I ran out of cigarettes, but you can't have everything.

Third World/Steel Pulse Del Mar Fairgrounds-06'

Damian Marley/Ben Harper Salt Lake City- 06'

I'm young and my concert experience isn't much. I've probably been to about 10 total. The two listed where definitely the best.

Servo, Man Man and Charles Bissell of the Wrens opened for Okkervil River here last year Man Man were so fucking entertaining, I like their record, too, but it just doesn't quite translate. Look forward to this fall's Wrens tour...

Best concert lately... Rancid in August was better than I expected, sad I didn't have tix to the show where H20 opened. Seems I have forgotten my roots.

ok ill go find a tape deck so i can listen to it....shoegazer stuff was popular before that ride, my bloody valentine, chapterhouse... shhh tg stop derailing... anyone see ride live?

i saw ride! a couple times in toronto...1991 w/lush, then a year or so after with slowdive. maybe once more?

strangely enough, the ride/lush show was pretty empty...but it seems that british music and "shoegaze" in particular were relatively under-appreciated at the time.

the t-shirt from the ride/lush show is great...shame it's HUGE:

ridefront.jpg

rideback.jpg

De La Soul @ Royce Hall (UCLA) in December '05 --- these guys are in their mid 40s and yet they have so much energy!

Go! Team @ Troubador in summer '05 --- never heard of their music before I went to the show and I was pleasantly suprised. The female drummer was pretty hot too.

has anyone seen mos def and kweli in concert....i really want to see them..are they exceptionally good live?

i've never seen them perform together, only separately on a couple of occasions. for the most part, kweli puts on a good live show and brings a lot of energy. his music is also easy to vibe to. mos def on the other hand, can either be really good or really bad. at one of his shows, i felt like he was really disconnected from the crowd. he basically stood in one spot and did his whole spoken word / experimental ish the entire time.

thrice last summer killed it so hard...ears were ringing for days. it was awesome.

i saw sigur ros in boston this spring and it was simply incredible. to be honest i wasn't sure how it'd be but i was amazed at the visual effects that they put on. the music/vocals were spot on; in my opinion it sounded better than the album. i'd definitely recommend it.

janes addiction's own tour for ritual de lo habitual was fantastic...i guess it just seemed a bit lacking after seeing them in a much smaller venue!

siouxsie & the banshees past their prime. ice-t was just a joke with his cop killer crap (made $$$ for him i guess!). nine inch nails whole "angry tear apart the stage" bullshit was played out for anyone who had seen them before. and living colour??? yuk.

i guess it didn't help that the toronto venue was crap and very "non-festival" like...

some of my faves were:

the aforementioned ride/lush show at rpm toronto

blur at lee's palace toronto oct/91 (one ticket gave admission to afternoon and evening shows...one of the greatest live bands in their early days imho!)

primal scream at rpm toronto 1992

spiritualized "highest show on earth" cn tower toronto 1997

mbv opera house toronto 1992 (the 'noisy' part in "you made me realise" went on for 20 minutes...no joke)

oasis instore london (virgin if i recall correctly) 1994 - day "definitely maybe" was released. evan dando turned up and took the stage with a tambourine. bizarre. we ran into him again a few days later in camden "busking".

olivia tremor control/neutral milk hotel, speak in tongues cleveland 1996-1997-ish???

i think the mid era lollapolooza lineups were insane. rage, smashing pumpkins, pavement, name any influential band from the 90's and they were part of it, that whole tour idea was amazing and it's sad to see where music is today looking back on those lineups. like this years lollapolooza and cochella would seem like complete shit if they were put up to any lollapolooza back in the day