good hip hop

True. "Blow My Mind" grew on my just like "I Get High" did...it was a good 2nd and better 3rd listen.

The only flawed track to me is the one with Ray J (what the fuck)...not lyrically...just as the most obvious attempt at a 2nd single (more so the beat and hook). So I can understand that the first two tracks may off-set someone who doesn't already know SP's shit...but fuck it...the rest of the album is killer.

The only other weak shit is the guest appearances by the newer D-Block cats. The Lox shit is, as always, great to hear.

Another GOOD point about this album and SP in general...and it's a hidden gem as to why people from all walks of Hip Hop enjoy listening to him...is that throughout all of the street shit...the violence and drug talk...he's not glorifying it. It's done in a way that's beyond the whole "rock star" bravado shit, as seen/heard with most of these other dudes (i.e. Lil Wayne, Clipse, Dipset, even Jay-Z). It's very comparable to Scarface...as opposed to bragging, it's either for a genuine "this is how it is where I live" vibe...or to depict a feeling and emotion (usually anger)...esp. when he goes off on his extra gory, horror movie shit...plus he became one of those go-to MC's when you were angry and wanted to hear someone commit grisly murder. I've also argued that it was one of his ways to revolt...I do consider Styles to be a revolutionary MC (in an OG Black Panthers sorta way)...

Do you listen to either Def Jux or Anticon? Or perhaps you are a Stones Throw kinda guy? Or do you subscribe purely to the street stylings of Kanye, Lupe, and Kweli... are you 17?

I've been listening to it all off and on over the years but make no illusion to being an expert. I like some of the Anticon and Def Jux stuff...I can't here Kanye too much even if I recognize and enjoy some of his stuff, something about it being too smooth. I'm 31.

I don't know guys, maybe I just read too much before I listened to the album but I'm not feeling the "grittyness" or "unadulterated MC". Maybe it's as simple as it not being the style I like but, when I think gritty, the Clan comes to mind, Public Enemy comes to mind. And next to Ghostface on this album, Styles sounds like he still has a lot to learn. As I said, I'm no expert and it may be that the current trend is lost on me but it sounds too polished to give me that real life gutter feeling. That's one thing I had a hard time with when listening to Kanye too but, what saved him is the feeling of pure honesty in his first releases. Like he stumbled but you knew something better was around the corner. I don't feel that honesty with Styles.

As for beats, I'm not feeling a lot of the overproduction these days. That's not a blanket statement because I felt the same way from the beginning of finding hip-hop but people like B.I.G. change my mind. Pro Tools is a plague.

I'm not writing it off but the hype kinda ruined the first couple listens for me which is why I brought it up at all.

Maybe my problem is that I just miss ODB.

I know my thoughts are all over the place this morning - my brain is tired.

I've been listening to it all off and on over the years but make no illusion to being an expert. I like some of the Anticon and Def Jux stuff...I can't here Kanye too much even if I recognize and enjoy some of his stuff, something about it being too smooth. I'm 31.

I don't know guys, maybe I just read too much before I listened to the album but I'm not feeling the "grittyness" or "unadulterated MC". Maybe it's as simple as it not being the style I like but, when I think gritty, the Clan comes to mind, Public Enemy comes to mind. And next to Ghostface on this album, Styles sounds like he still has a lot to learn. As I said, I'm no expert and it may be that the current trend is lost on me but it sounds too polished to give me that real life gutter feeling. That's one thing I had a hard time with when listening to Kanye too but, what saved him is the feeling of pure honesty in his first releases. Like he stumbled but you knew something better was around the corner. I don't feel that honesty with Styles.

As for beats, I'm not feeling a lot of the overproduction these days. That's not a blanket statement because I felt the same way from the beginning of finding hip-hop but people like B.I.G. change my mind. Pro Tools is a plague.

I'm not writing it off but the hype kinda ruined the first couple listens for me which is why I brought it up at all.

Maybe my problem is that I just miss ODB.

I know my thoughts are all over the place this morning - my brain is tired.

That's honest then. I can understand what you mean with many of the points brought up in your reply. I'm about to be 27...listened to Hip Hop since 1st grade...from Run DMC/Fat Boys/Kurtis Blow/etc. to PE/G Rap/NWA/Rakim to the 90's golden era...to very few artists now...in High School I was on the older CoFlow/Def Jux shit (now, Despot is the only Def Jux shit I fuck with) before it became something suburban...so I've been around a lot of it...I can relate to what you're saying about over-production for sure. The whole extra digital thing is killin' me too. With that said, there may be no audible grit in the sonics of the Styles-P album...but what he says is definitely from the heart. He has not changed as far as character over the last decade...just some viewpoints...he's got a bit more of a calm demeanor on tracks and with his words...yet he'll still kill your whole family 10 times. I mean shit, The Lox have been doing that street shit since the mid-90's...and that's where a lot of the respect comes from...the fact that they've been able to stay hungry/lyrical through all of these turbulent shifts in Hip Hop (mostly mainstream). EVeryone from old to new school (Chuck D and Rakim and G Rap to Immortal Technique and Lupe) view SP, especially, as a real MC who deserves his just due. In other words, if he were 1-dimensional or a straight gimmick...he would've faded away a long time ago.

Maybe the hype did kill it for you...but it's also probably a combo of that and that you don't entirely have an ear for that type of shit. For people who love what the Lox/Styles brought to the table, it was refreshing to hear something full-length and solid...not that it's rift opening, jaw-droppingly revolutionary or wahtever...but it's definitely not an overzealous attempt to try and fit in with the herd. All of the Lox solo albums lacked because of the unfit production and sometimes commercial attempts (mainly Kiss). IMO...this one best captures and blends some of the current with the usual Lox business...which is the darker (mostly keyboard) beats and gritty visuals.

I really really really really HATE Ray J on "Let's Go"...the hook and his little bridge commentary is exactly what I HATE about this newfangled rap shit.

"Got My Eyes On You" is one of my favorite beats on the album and lyrically SP goes IN...I just hate Akon as well.

Another thing you brought up: Styles definitely should not be compared to Kanye...in any way...if anything, Kanye should be producing for him and that's it. Kanye is a "super rock star doll"...who's made a name for himself by being a loudmouthed fashionista...only been recognized in the rap shit since the early 2000's (my guess is '02 when he appeared on "We Are The Champions")...Styles is a vet (+10 years strong) and has paved and solidified his own lane...so if you aren't into driving through that part of town, it could be very shocking, off-setting, sickening, weird, interesting, etc. It's straight forward, hard rap...you're not going to hear a thousand big words or super fast flows...it's the shit you pump when you've got your peoples around and the smoke is in the air...beer bottles in hand...or you're going through a tough time...or you've busted your ass all day doing whatever but came out on top (meaning you've just earned yourself a nice little check or money stack).

^ I actually just picked that up recently, not sure how long it's been out... very solid. sometimes you can really tell it was made in 3 days, but definitely solid...I would love for them to do it again but slow down the speed racin' lol

When I first heard Skyzoo on the Little Brother track Speed racin off of the their DJ Drama tape I was blown away. The other tracks I've heard feels rather mediocre compared to that, but there's some nice tracks on Cloud 9 and his latest mixtape.

I didnt read any of the anti Styles post because its clear you dont know what you're talking about.

Let us now discuss Crooked I. Ill? Or Ill-as-fuck? You decide.

EDIT: Also, Mood Muzic III dropped, im listening to it right now...

heBay. You and I may know each other. Just a thought.

Now for another brief thought:

people (and by people I mean the majority of lily-white bloggers who populate the internet) who enjoy the clipse, Ghostface, Jeezy etc may not enjoy the recent Styles P release. Here's why: Styles P, and those like him (G rap, CNN, Trag, Early Mega, and even (lord help us) early 50) espouse a level of emotional sincerity about their exploits that is often unincumbered by stylistic gimmickery, an ear for what's hip, or conceits about artistic innovation.

Some Background: I am white. I hate the Clipse. I bumped the shit out of Jeezy when he first dropped. And like all of us, I like ghost.

Now lets continue. What makes the clipse so palletable to the set of folks i mentioned ("the people") above? It's certainly not that they rap non-stop about crack, or that they wear Billionaire Boys Club Head to toe. If that was all they had to offer, they would have been left behind ages ago. The reason they appeal the way they do is that there street talk is cloaked in pop cultural reference, and clothed in witty lyricism. After all, everyone has a kitchen (the single tool required to decode 95% of their metaphor catalogue) and most of us probably passed highschool english at least once.

Ghostface is out to lunch. Unlike the clipse, who are blatantly one-dimensional, ghost posses the talent not just of a lyricist, but of a screen writer. That said, he is valued by the set in questions for his descriptive and narrative qualities. Plus he's a weirdo, and that always helps. Simply (and bluntly) put, Ghostaface killer raps about alot of shit thought to be reserved for backpacking crackers, with Gangster bravado, and a larger than life emotional and actual presence.

But what about SP?

SP will never get the pitchfork.com review he deserves. He will never find his way to the 2005 and after wayne fan-base. And best of all he doesn't give a fuck. "I make music so the streets can feel what the fuck I'm saying" is a quote that I may have made up, but I think is on at least one of his mixtapes. I'm by no means the streets, but I sure as fuck feel what the fuck he's saying. And that's what I like. A commodity with no market value in 2007: Sincerity. Styles has put out mixtape after mixtape of solid material, embracing a level of consistency that does not prohibit change and growth. The ghost is a writer, a vegetarian, married with children, and mediatates. But does he need to tell you that on the track? Not neccesarily. What Styles does he does well, and that is what I look for across the board, wether artist, writer, chef, or rapper.

When innovation and supposed "cleverness" takes a front seat to quality, you know your gonna leave the spot hungry.

when these lunch-snack-rap-cats leave your belly rumbling... choose SP for the meal that rarely dissapoints.

Just Blaze just put out a mix of songs that were pretty much supposed to be the Saigon album. Its probably as close as we're going to get.

Its called The Moral of Story. Its groundbreaking. I genuinely feel sorry for Saigon now.

heBay. You and I may know each other. Just a thought.

Now for another brief thought:

people (and by people I mean the majority of lily-white bloggers who populate the internet) who enjoy the clipse, Ghostface, Jeezy etc may not enjoy the recent Styles P release. Here's why: Styles P, and those like him (G rap, CNN, Trag, Early Mega, and even (lord help us) early 50) espouse a level of emotional sincerity about their exploits that is often unincumbered by stylistic gimmickery, an ear for what's hip, or conceits about artistic innovation.

Some Background: I am white. I hate the Clipse. I bumped the shit out of Jeezy when he first dropped. And like all of us, I like ghost.

Now lets continue. What makes the clipse so palletable to the set of folks i mentioned ("the people") above? It's certainly not that they rap non-stop about crack, or that they wear Billionaire Boys Club Head to toe. If that was all they had to offer, they would have been left behind ages ago. The reason they appeal the way they do is that there street talk is cloaked in pop cultural reference, and clothed in witty lyricism. After all, everyone has a kitchen (the single tool required to decode 95% of their metaphor catalogue) and most of us probably passed highschool english at least once.

Ghostface is out to lunch. Unlike the clipse, who are blatantly one-dimensional, ghost posses the talent not just of a lyricist, but of a screen writer. That said, he is valued by the set in questions for his descriptive and narrative qualities. Plus he's a weirdo, and that always helps. Simply (and bluntly) put, Ghostaface killer raps about alot of shit thought to be reserved for backpacking crackers, with Gangster bravado, and a larger than life emotional and actual presence.

But what about SP?

SP will never get the pitchfork.com review he deserves. He will never find his way to the 2005 and after wayne fan-base. And best of all he doesn't give a fuck. "I make music so the streets can feel what the fuck I'm saying" is a quote that I may have made up, but I think is on at least one of his mixtapes. I'm by no means the streets, but I sure as fuck feel what the fuck he's saying. And that's what I like. A commodity with no market value in 2007: Sincerity. Styles has put out mixtape after mixtape of solid material, embracing a level of consistency that does not prohibit change and growth. The ghost is a writer, a vegetarian, married with children, and mediatates. But does he need to tell you that on the track? Not neccesarily. What Styles does he does well, and that is what I look for across the board, wether artist, writer, chef, or rapper.

When innovation and supposed "cleverness" takes a front seat to quality, you know your gonna leave the spot hungry.

when these lunch-snack-rap-cats leave your belly rumbling... choose SP for the meal that rarely dissapoints.

Proppers. RBW...sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner..PM me your SN...I got you on that SP ZIP shit. We probably have seen each other or met once...we both have a friend by the first name of Des...last name rhymes with "rot."

Regarding SP vs. the world of other street rappers, I actually meant those exact things when I said:

"Another GOOD point about this album and SP in general...and it's a hidden gem as to why people from all walks of Hip Hop enjoy listening to him...is that throughout all of the street shit...the violence and drug talk...he's not glorifying it. It's done in a way that's beyond the whole "rock star" bravado shit, as seen/heard with most of these other dudes (i.e. Lil Wayne, Clipse, Dipset, even Jay-Z). It's very comparable to Scarface...as opposed to bragging, it's either for a genuine "this is how it is where I live" vibe...or to depict a feeling and emotion (usually anger)...esp. when he goes off on his extra gory, horror movie shit...plus he became one of those go-to MC's when you were angry and wanted to hear someone commit grisly murder. I've also argued that it was one of his ways to revolt...I do consider Styles to be a revolutionary MC (in an OG Black Panthers sorta way)..."

That being said, I actually DO like the Clipse. I really liked both of their albums and I find them both to be well-versed in language (not to further push your "English class" and "kitchen" theory)...Pusha especially comes off with some poetic shit. Hell Hath No Fury was one of my favorite albums of the year it came out...I thought the beats were ill and that it was very well put together...but it did start to lose steam quickly off of the strength that, music aside, I can't stand their image and the fact that all of these hipsters and hypebeasts alike (mostly white, who don't know shit about shit of what they're really talking about in these songs) flock to them like they do Dipset, Lil Wayne, NWA, and probably Uncle Murda soon enough. I actually find it to be pretty fucked in a racist(undertones) sorta way...kinda like some "dance monkey dance" shit ("more like kill monkey kill")...they just gravitate towards that super ignorant street shit that is "fun(ny)" in their minds, yet 99% are laughing AT NWA, not with 'em.

The silly shit about the Clipse is that they're actually pretty damned humble dudes in REAL life (definitely not what you'd expect from the image they try to put out)...and to me, the lyrics aren't half as bad as say Jeezy, Juelz Santana, or Weezy when it comes to glorifying the whole coke life thing...arguable as to how much glorifying vs. speaking of the perils in the music (an article was written around the time Hell Hath No Fury dropped comparing them to Jeezy and Juelz...them being the conscious/moral-bearing hustlers whereas the latter two were just ignorant street life gimmickry, which I could agree on). But unfortunately, they come off as the total opposite (clowns) off record...on some "block star" bullshit...and I can't erase the fact that in an old XXL article (for the prepping of Hell Hath...) a few years ago (yes, years)...those cats made a list of things they need in the studio to work, "pens, notebooks, beats, weed, and a gun..." They stated something like "can't ever be too sure about these haters" (or something like that). I love how Pharrell milks the fact that he's tied with "killers" and this that and a third...the only killers in that loosely knit family is Roscoe P. Coldchain...but that's a different story and rapper all in all (very comparable to SP actually).

I'm a huge fan of Ghostface and agree that people of all walks just love him off the talent, charisma (sometimes weird) and respect factor...he's bold as fuck...doesn't stay in one lane...the fact that he was a voice on "36 Chambers" and part of, arguably, the most well-known and successful Hip Hop crew (the guys who brought the 90's Golden Era in with a bang) doesn't hurt.

Jeezy, I actually bought his "breakthrough" album (the one with Jay-Z and Bun-B) just cause of the feel of it...it had a dark, grittiness to it...the beats were crazy hard and Jeezy complimented them well...it was great background music...or hustler music (at the time). But seriously, Jeezy is pretty trash...esp. now that a few years later, he's still on the same bullshit (perhaps even back-stepped a few).

I definitely do not care to hear Lil Wayne ever. I will not go into that one...I just don't like his antics at all...and I definitely feel that he's the posterchild for ignorance and gimmickry...but definitely ignorance (that little quote he had about his tear drop ink was beyond incredible). I miss the old Cash Money days where he was riding BG's coat tails.

Just Blaze just put out a mix of songs that were pretty much supposed to be the Saigon album. Its probably as close as we're going to get.

Its called The Moral of Story. Its groundbreaking. I genuinely feel sorry for Saigon now.

I saw this leaked on the internet but haven't bothered to grab it yet. What is Saigon's deal? He stopped MCing? I thought I had read somewhere that he quit the game.

I liked Sai, for a while he was one of my favorite MCs (around 2002), around the time he hooked up with Alchemist and put out like 10 tracks with him and dropped the first Yardfather mixtape. Say Yes was my jam.

But after a while, I somewhat got sick of him ... maybe I played him too much during that time period, but I was also getting sick of waiting for an album from him and not receiving.

Back to BG ... I can't wait for a new mixtape or album from him. He had some promising verses on the Chopper City Boyz album. I liked the single Make Em Mad, but overall I wasn't too impressed with that album.

BG is one of my favorite rappers.

the best tracks off of Heart of the streets one and two make for a mean album.

Ice cold.

Back to BG ... I can't wait for a new mixtape or album from him. He had some promising verses on the Chopper City Boyz album. I liked the single Make Em Mad, but overall I wasn't too impressed with that album.

All I have to say is "Hard Times"...probably my favorite Manny Fresh beat and the young(er) BG really makes this an addictive song. I think that was off of his first "popular" album...the one he dropped around the time they got all of that MTV play ("Bling Bling" era).

On a similar note, how tough was that Mil track featuring Beans, BG & Wayne over another favorite Manny Fresh banger..."Ride Out" was the title...they all murdered that shit.

...NOT new hip-hop...but certainly good.

All I have to say is "Hard Times"...probably my favorite Manny Fresh beat and the young(er) BG really makes this an addictive song. I think that was off of his first "popular" album...the one he dropped around the time they got all of that MTV play ("Bling Bling" era).

On a similar note, how tough was that Mil track featuring Beans, BG & Wayne over another favorite Manny Fresh banger..."Ride Out" was the title...they all murdered that shit.

...NOT new hip-hop...but certainly good.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hard Times was on the Chopper City in the Ghetto album that came out in '99. That album is a classic in my book. I'm always down to listen to Cash Money is an Army.

listening to the Saigon tape.. to bad it got fucked, if this was an album I'd robocop.

just ran across this by accident - mixtape of rarities, think it might be a UK release..

3508716m.jpg

01 . Talib Kweli - Hip Hop Is … 01:10

02 . Talib Kweli - The Wanna Know 05:37

03 . Talib Kweli - Slap Feat Saigon 02:41

04 . Talib Kweli Feat. Styles P - Real Recognize Real 02:38

05 . Talib Kweli - What I Seen 04:43

06 . Talib Kweli Feat. Rakim - Subway Surfin 03:09

07 . Talib Kweli - On Fire 01:25

08 . Talib Kweli - Prime Example 03:37

09 . Talib Kweli - Its That Time 04:04

10 . Talib Kweli Feat. Strong Arm Steady - Shame 04:36

11 . Talib Kweli Feat. Jean Grae - Stars 02:41

12 . Talib Kweli Feat. Kardinal Offishal - Stand Up 02:32

13 . Talib Kweli Feat. Ghostface Killah - Uncut 02:36

14 . Talib Kweli - Rise 03:00

15 . Talib Kweli Feat. Killa Mike - Lets Go 03:04

16 . Talib Kweli Feat. Phil The Agony - The City 03:34

17 . Talib Kweli Feat. Snoop Dogg - Cant Ya See 03:15

18 . Talib Kweli Feat. Mos Def - Get It 04:06

only listened to it through quickly, couple of dope tracks for sure.

Can somebody explain why Styles P is so hyped in the past pages? I've been listening to the album and just don't get it? Am I too old? Am I too wack? Have I not repeated it enough to let the brainwash take full effect?

The beats sounds mediocre and played.

His flow and voice is stunted and nasaly which could be used to his adantage but instead seems forced.

The writing is nothing new and I'm not even going into the typical content.

Sounds like this album has been made 100 times in the past 5 years. What am I missing?

dont really check this thread ever cause im not really into the "good new hip-hop"

but what you're missing is:

The Lox - Money Power Respect

The Lox - We Are The Streets

Ruff Ryders Vol.1

Ghost in the Shell mixtape

and Styles P - Gangster and a Gentleman

Im just waiting for a Styles P vs Jadakiss thread, now thats a fuckin' discussion.

dont really check this thread ever cause im not really into the "good new hip-hop"

but what you're missing is:

The Lox - Money Power Respect

The Lox - We Are The Streets

Ruff Ryders Vol.1

Ghost in the Shell mixtape

and Styles P - Gangster and a Gentleman

Im just waiting for a Styles P vs Jadakiss thread, now thats a fuckin' discussion.

Correction...add on RR vol. 2 ("Holiday" is on that)...and vol. 3 ("Keep Hustling," "Shoot 'Em In The Head")...although both are not as solid as a whole as part 1. Add Ghost Stories, Ghost In The Machine, Ghost Who Sat By The Door, The Phantom, King Of The Beats (Vinny Idol), ST. RAW's mixtape, D-Block Street Music Vol. 1, and a few others...might as well get the Best of D Block 1-10 or whatever number they are up to now.

Time Is MOney is good if you haven't been around the Big Mike mixtapes much.

And I'd take SP over Kiss simply because of what's already been stated...although Kiss is nice as shit...SP gets the points for raw power. Kiss is too safe of a bet...you pretty much know what he's going to bring to the table...SP is a little more of an untameable beast...you don't know when exactly the snap will occur...just keep in mind that it'll happen.

Also the Alchemist album had great Lox tracks.

ive never liked a jadakiss solo track, but i LOVE a jadakiss cameo verse. ive heard a bunch of styles track, ive never remembered one good enough to listen to again. granted i was never a big lox fan so i never pursued either of their solo material, but nothing ive heard from them on their own has ever sparked my curiosity.

Jadakiss did a bunch of good solo shit on Kiss the Game Goodbye, that was raw Jadakiss. Then after the album everyone was talking about how Kiss can only do street music, he is so one dimensional. So that's why Kiss of Death sounded like Jadakiss was trying to prove something that he didnt have to.

I overall like SP better than Jada too, but if you were to totally disagree with that statement, I couldn't tell you that you're wrong.

There was a Ghost by the door? didnt know that, i stopped downloading mixtapes tho cause they were fuckin' my computer up

On Vol. 3 didnt Ghost do Ghetto Children? It was kind of a Carribean song? That was alright

What was the mixtape where he did all those freestyles to Can I live (Man of The Men) and he did one called Soldiers Song? that was a stupidly ill mixtape

You wanna know why I invest all my money into haze and into dope

Cuz right now, I'm currently a slave for Interscope

Best Jada line ever.

PM me if you need 8 Diagrams.

Pretty decent, some songs lack with RZA's experimentation and all, but it is pretty solid.

I haven't been able to check this thread that much, but definitely a fan of good hip-hop.

I'm more into that underground shit though, however. Shit like CYNE and Binary Star.

remember when the LOX did that whole Free the Lox campaign cause puff wouldn't let them out of their contract at Bad Boy? As commerical and gay as Puff is, he's been in some greasy situations. The Lox are the last group of motherfuckers I would want going campaigning that they are being raped and fuck Puff.

Puff also fucked up one of Nas's people for originally depicting him on the cross in the music video for Hate Me Now, not to mention being in the studio when Pac got shot in the elevator and having Shyne shoot at that motherfucker that threw money at him and J Lo.

Diddy definately runs the city