good hip hop

just downloaded the Lupe album, i couldn't wait the extra week... halfway through and im impressed. kind of repetitive at points so far, but the production seems to be on point. same old dope lupe flow. cant really comment on the lyrics yet but at first listen it seems to be a solid album.

Im listening to Styles album again. Its so good on every level. What I like the most though, is its a throwback to like 97, 98 when the clubs were playing NY tracks that were not only danceable but had some real lyrics over them, or atleast werent the same rehashed down south shit.

I can also play it in the ride and the girl isnt going to complain.

The black hippie, the sack wit me, the lighter too

I have dreams of Amsterdam every night or two (Amsterdam)

I feel good, the sky couldn't be a brighter blue

Sun lookin like a tangerine

You got green and it's mean, brother hit me like a tambourine

I need a minute to myself, second to myself

Pass the dutchie on the left, whoever's suckin on the L

I'ma need candy cause I know my breath is gon' smell

I don't get sleep but some good restin off a L

Mind blown, time fly, time gone

Missed my exit on the highway I ride on

Roll another one, get in my good time zone

Word.

Exactly...Styles is just nice...the mood of the album is definitely a mid'90's kinda vibe. Download that Phantom Menace mixtape...I've been lettin' that one rock for a week straight...shit is crazy.

i don't understand how anyone can respect lupe after his atcq comments

meh.. why would you care much about something like that. ok, it dropped his credibility in my book 0.8 points, I still think hes a very good lyricist, I'm gonna buy the album and I have a strong feeling I'm going to like it. Jadakiss froze on stage, hes still dope in my book.

for some reason lupe seems to have this weird sense of entitlement that is a put off. he's a pretty strong lyricist, but most of what he raps about seems gimicky to me...like he doesn't really have anything to say, but really wants people to know how smart he is...

I saw him perform with little brother once and little brother came out and ripped it down serious... then lupe came out with his talk down to you gimmicks and lulled everyone to sleep and then started talking shit to the crowd like "what ya'll tired?"...I left early

and then the tribe shit blew my mind...and I was totally turned off for good...I checked out a couple of tracks and it seems like the same stuff go go gadget gimmicks!! and hackneyed duets with yodelling dudes from pop rock bands...

fuck this pop rock band duet shit that kanye, lupe, and the rest of these poppy'er rappers are doing. Why...fall out boy? Are you serious?

I'm not really ever in tune with Lupe Fiasco...but what exactly did he say about Tribe? Did he mention that he wears Fenom Levi's, thus making him better than them? Did he state that he surpassed their 3 classic albums with one verse on a Kanye collab or something?

for some reason lupe seems to have this weird sense of entitlement that is a put off. he's a pretty strong lyricist, but most of what he raps about seems gimicky to me...like he doesn't really have anything to say, but really wants people to know how smart he is...

I saw him perform with little brother once and little brother came out and ripped it down serious... then lupe came out with his talk down to you gimmicks and lulled everyone to sleep and then started talking shit to the crowd like "what ya'll tired?"...I left early

and then the tribe shit blew my mind...and I was totally turned off for good...I checked out a couple of tracks and it seems like the same stuff go go gadget gimmicks!! and hackneyed duets with yodelling dudes from pop rock bands...

Wow you took all the words out of my mouth, terrible corny lyrics, boring flow, awful personality. Lupe is a god for highschoolers going through their concious rap phase but once you are over that you see how fucking embarrassing he is.

"nah, yall are trippin if you dont think lupe is the greatest lyricist ever. peep game: on dumb it down he said he was eyeless. that mean HE AINT GOT NO EYES. like a pirate, man. and pirate rhymes with eyeless. but he doesnt even say pirate. thats how deep his metaphors go. hes rhyming shit without even saying the words.KICK PUSH!"

Wow you took all the words out of my mouth, terrible corny lyrics, boring flow, awful personality. Lupe is a god for highschoolers going through their concious rap phase but once you are over that you see how fucking embarrassing he is.

<3 let's have babies

lol i was gonna say something about high school kids loving him because of that and his hypebeastiness but sometimes i find myself hating on kids taste in hip hop these days...probably cause im getting old...

also i forgot to post this...listen to lupe totally play himself

"i was walking around strapped up everyday...don't get it confused, just cause i was riding skateboards...all my friends were hustlers, killers" etc lol

http://www.zshare.net/audio/41414383bdcc13/

Talk about another rapper playin' himself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-29NPT_6KoA

The beat and hook are fuckin' sicko...I even like P's verses...but I just can't help but remember him getting decked twice by Saigon with all of his people around him and him and Hav just stood there and said "Saigon's our man...there's no beef"...

Is P rhymin' about himself?

The ending is hilarious though.

there in this thread somewhere. basically he was asked to do a vh1 tribute to tribe and while performing electric relaxation he fucked up tips verse and then tried to dodge criticisms saying he never listened to tribe when they were large.

basically, a long while back lupe was on okp saying he never listened to midnight marauders at all ever and everyone went nuts...

then a couple months back lupe performs on the vh1 hip hop honors for tribe and fucks up the lyrics okp goes nuts, lupe gets on there and plays himself hardcore by saying qtip is his friend and asked him to do it and he still has never listened to midnight marauders and doesn't plan on it.

then q-tip gave an interview saying he never asked lupe to do it at all, it was vh1 pitched it...then vibe.com ran some article with an out of context quote from lupe making him look even worse and he's running around everywhere saying he's suing vibe like he still didn't play himself to the core before the vibe article

if you read from the bottom up here you can get most of the info, careful getting sucked into the okp thread, you'll be reading for hours lol

http://www.missinfo.tv/?cat=32

Just got done with a solid listen of the new Free.

It wouldnt be so good if it didnt have such amazing Blaze production. Which, actually, was my only beef with his first album. Not enough Blaze or not enough Blaze giving 100%.

Now if we can get this type of production on a Yung Gunz album, Neef will haev you leanin like a kick stand.

fuck this pop rock band duet shit that kanye, lupe, and the rest of these poppy'er rappers are doing. Why...fall out boy? Are you serious?

I think its far less corny than R&B hooks or rappers singing.. not that I'd particularly dig a fall out boy duet, but I think Superstar for example is pretty good. the hook is a bit too slow though. I'd take a Chris Martin feat over an Akon hook any day.

curious to hear your thoughts when you get through it

I think its a pretty good album, not amazing cause a few tracks are a bit dull, but the rest I like. I think Lupe spits pretty well on several tracks and his flow is great especially on superstar, go go gadget and little weapon. I like paris, tokyo as well, very chill but he still flows very very nicely to the beat.

I think its far less corny than R&B hooks or rappers singing.. not that I'd particularly dig a fall out boy duet, but I think Superstar for example is pretty good. the hook is a bit too slow though. I'd take a Chris Martin feat over an Akon hook any day.

You have a point as far as singing hooks with corny themes or catch phrases "pass the patroooon paaaaa-trrroo-ooooon"..."your body your body boooooooodddddddy"..."on my heart like a ta-----tttoooooooo" (not a rap song...but probably one of the worst hooks in the last decade...and it's easily been a bad 10 years for hooks).

But seriously, it's all about a poppy gimmick...fuck em all.

Can somebody explain why Styles P is so hyped in the past pages? I've been listening to the album and just don't get it? Am I too old? Am I too wack? Have I not repeated it enough to let the brainwash take full effect?

The beats sounds mediocre and played.

His flow and voice is stunted and nasaly which could be used to his adantage but instead seems forced.

The writing is nothing new and I'm not even going into the typical content.

Sounds like this album has been made 100 times in the past 5 years. What am I missing?

i told jay i was makin a song w/ coldplay

next thing i know jays got a song with coldplay

Can somebody explain why Styles P is so hyped in the past pages? I've been listening to the album and just don't get it? Am I too old? Am I too wack? Have I not repeated it enough to let the brainwash take full effect?

His flow and voice is stunted and nasaly which could be used to his adantage but instead seems forced.

Sounds like this album has been made 100 times in the past 5 years. What am I missing?

Do you listen to either Def Jux or Anticon? Or perhaps you are a Stones Throw kinda guy? Or do you subscribe purely to the street stylings of Kanye, Lupe, and Kweli... are you 17?

Not hating on your opinion, that's that...fine...but these were the questions that arose when I read your post.

Styles-P shit is good to us who like it because he is an unadulterated MC...he truly appreciates Hip Hop as a culture/art-form...he has wit, heart, and emotion (you can have emotion even with a monotone delivery)...his words and flow are strong and still the influence to A LOT of aspiring rappers out there (people pair him with gritty NY street hop the same way they've viewed Rakim on some lyrical shit...or KRS on some conscious history rap).

True the beats aren't by Primo, Kanye, Just Blaze, 9th Wonder, Timbaland, Dr. Dre, RZA, and so on...but they work for a dark, NY, indie street album...at least it isn't washed out with Southern beats from tracks 3 - 13.

I would say most of the beats are on point except for the following tracks: Blow Ya Mind, Let's Go, and Got My Eyes On You. The first is a typical Swizz song, and the last is a typical Akon song. These would be my only complaints about the album.

I don't hear anything wrong with his flow and voice. His voice compliments his gritty lyrics, and I feel that his flow is on compliments the production. I have to say that I really was not expecting much from this album, but am pretty pleased with it.

Even the Alchemist came through with a beat that was different sounding than what he usually delivers, I was so sick of the typical Alchemist beat.

As for the lyrical content, I think maybe you should give some of the tracks another spin. Styles spits some pretty deep shit on here, and I'll probably make another post with some of the better lines on the album.