good hip hop

Wow. I know I said the Clipse annoyed me as far as their constant strain to uphold their hustler image...but I definitely fucks with the music...esp. the Re-Up Gang. Sandman and Ab-Liva are dumb nice and the combo works very well.

The Ab-Liva solo mixtape and the many Sandman (& Cannons Inc.) mixtapes were crazy too. Alot of heads think the Clipse or Pharrell discovered them...which is like saying Just Blaze discovered Saigon.

ANyways...gonna get that Re Up pt. 3 right now.

THat's just his signature shit...he reps his original Philly crew wherever he's at...plus he's known as "Sand Cannon." I can understand how that either annoys or brings a chuckle out of someone...but him and Ab are nice as shit to me.

The way they play with their cadence and switch up the flows...Ab is crazy with the imagery where as Sandman is more focused on straightforward rhyme pattern and flow play.

Needless to say, I'm a big supporter of many Philly MC's...dudes are living real fucked up out there and it's heard in the music...a lot of new styles and aggression out in the underground/street circles. I'm getting a new Peedi mixtape right now...let you know in a second.

Okay this Crakk mixtape is type basement sounding...but it's starting very very killer... oh boy. Easily one of my favorite MC's...kid is consistent...got retarded flow, words, and character.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7WWSGYY

Just a warning...whoever the DJ is...fucked up on track 6, another song gets cued in for a few seconds during the song...retarded. But the shit's still fuego.

Haha Fat Daddy Doe Stacks...that's that Philly shit...Sand's crew is pretty weak though...

Liva was the best one out of Major Figgas...I actually hated them for the longest...still don't fuck with Gooseneck Gillie or Dutch (only verse I could stomach from him was on SDE)...Spade was/is iiiight...but Ab is actually a thorough dude from what I hear...as is Sand...more so than the CLipse actually.

I was cleaning out my basement the other day and I found my old CD collection. It reminded me why I don't even consider listening to hip hop nowadays.

50 Cent - Power of the Dollar -> pre-lisp, pre "I got shot 9 times and I'm still alive", kinda chunky, Curtis Jackson use to be fucking nasty.

Ali Vegas - Generation Gap. This boy was serious when he first came out and still is, Theme Of New York is one of my all time favorite songs.

AZ - 9 Lives. Perfect example of how fucked up the rap game is right now, where is AZ? Why do people give a fuck at all about Lupe Fiasco or fucking Common? This man drops jewels like no other. His best CD since Doe or Die.

Master P - Ghetto D

your lying if you didnt fucking love this CD in 1998. Your also lying if you try to say you didnt love No Limit and try to cop every one of their plastic cd cases, and lying hard if you say I got the Hook Up wasnt your favorite movie. Bourbons and Lacs takes me back to the good old days.

There should be an Good Old Hip Hop thread because rap nowadays is just fucking garbage compared to the old school.

m-m-m-m-m-ake dope like this.

I like that album. Ice Cream Man was better though. I wonder if those plastic/cardboard cases are worth anything now. They dont come like that these days.

lol remember when snoop joined no limit and dropped tha game is to be told not to be sold?I grabbed that shit first week out.

Overall Silkk was my fav. no limit rapper, he was smooth.

Man im stuck in 1996, I can remember the first time I ever been to NYC, I was listening to Hot 97 in a cab ride to Dr. Jays and that was the first time I ever heard "All That I Got Is You" and I was just amazed at Ghost and Mary.

Shit is so different now, I was listening to Power of the Dollar when I found it in storage a couple days ago, and you can hear 50 Cent emulating 2pac so bad it's not even funny. I found a bunch of old posters I use to buy, I got this big ass Me Against The World one. I use to fucking love that Cd. Lord Knows, Fuck The World, Old school, shitt.. I can't remember the last time I heard lyrics to a song that moved me like Lord Knows

" I smoke a blunt to take the pain out

And if I wasn't high, I'd probably try to blow my brains out"

Fuck Good New Hip Hop, most of you's need to study your Good Old Hip Hop and re-discover the Sam Cookes, Al Greens and Smokey Robinsons of rap.

I have the power of the dollar sampler that came with The Source. Remember that?

It wasnt even really a sampler it was the whole album minus like two songs.

I really try to not be one of those 'remember how it was' dudes, but these post are taking me back. Back to when i was 13 and really didnt know why the shit I was on was so good, but I just knew it was good.

I remember this kid in 6th grade who was all about Wu. I wasnt a big Wu head back t hen but whenever I think about it, that kid was the realest dude alive at the tender age of 13. Funny.

Damn I stopped reading the Source way before 50 was rappin'.

I have that 50 Cent compilation CD with the stretch armstrong freestyles and then some...the joint with Bun-B is still my shit ("Money Makes The World Go Round").

I always shitted on Ali Vegas cause I thought he was the emulator rapper...I hated the fact that he was this little kid gettin' off on sounding exactly like Nas and then Jay and then other people (BIG I think?)...I loved when Stack Bundles shitted on him. A much realer Queens repper (and MUUUUCH better rapper IMO). The only reason why I listened to any Ali Vegas songs was due to guest verses.

And definitely yes to OOOLLLLD No Limit. Master P from his Oakland days was good shit. Tru's "Bout It" was my jaawwwn.

My favorite No Limit shit was Young BLeed though. Easily one of the best lyricists from the South I've ever heard. "My Balls & My Word" was ridiculous...but his following two (once he jetted from No Limit) were craaazy. Real night time, deep thought music. He was like a Southern version of Pac...but more up to date.

i hated no limit when they were hot. i just couldnt get with the drawl and the sloppy cadences. even when mystical got neptunes beats, i couldnt get with it. ghetto d was the bain of my existence when it came out. all my friends gravitated to that shit and i went underground on some realer than thou backpacker shit. ill take the mountain brothers over no limit any day.

Fuck Good New Hip Hop, most of you's need to study your Good Old Hip Hop and re-discover the Sam Cookes, Al Greens and Smokey Robinsons of rap.

I love old music and at some point I listened to it way more than new shit, but the typical stuck-up old school head 'they stopped making music in 92' attitude is boring. this thread provides to those who are still interested in discovering good new music.

the best thing about that mixtape is that they use some insane samples they would never be able to clear for a commercial release. ant flips the same sample that prince paul used on prince among theives, he flips the road to riches sample that dj polo used, and the sample from crewed up i cant place but its pretty high profile. its brilliant that they just give it away and its legal. i fucking love that idea.

jay z vs. marvin gaye remixes done by mick boogie.

http://www.jayandmarvin.com/

i haven't listened to it - so don't be mad if it's wack.

I was going to listen to this until I saw it was mashed up with American Gangster. Im not even interested in that...

The Nas version was fire though.