Mobile Phone Content - What would you like to see?

englandmj7

Guest Airjamie

No offence duderino, but I highly doubt the "hip urban consumer" would really want anything to do with jamster. Also it boggles my mind as to how exactly you would market it, considering the popular media outlets you usually advertise on (MTV, VH1) really do not cater to those specific audiences. That being said, brand specific mobile layouts like the ones you mentioned could enjoy limited success if marketed through those specific brands (like recon, or ju$t another rich kid). However, it think there would be a market among hot topic kids. I would persue some kind of partnership with that chain to offer mobile services featuring the bands which are selling lots of merch in their stores (him and that chemical band with the fat guy come to mind). Perhaps exclusive wallpapers and ringtones in conjunction with those bands when they release albums, maybe some kind of preorder deal. Ultimately you would probably want to advertise during programs targeted to that demographic (viva la bam, stevens untitled cock show, etc, etc.) The thought that immediately crossed my mind when reading your post, was that these kids will buy anything, hypebeasters and superfuture posters, however, will not. This coming from a fellow product development and marketing employee.

What kind of handsets do you support? Because my W800 could use some new themes. Maybe something simple and understated, or better yet, the color scheme and fonts of superfuture! Haha. Just something aesthetically pleasing and not too overpowering.

As for the superfuture interface thing, that would kick ass. Ive been caught in a foriegn city without a map too often. Even if it is just a quick set of links to certain WAP accessible maps meant for mobiles, and not necessarily just those for superfuture.

Thats what I would like anyway. I dont care much for weed-leaf wallpapers and the race frog ringtones, but then again im not the only person in the world.

Could you do whole themes? Like wall paper, fonts, menu icons, etc?

That would be something I'd buy, especially if you could do like a mod theme, or maybe a Marilyn Monroe theme. Something nifty like that. I want a freaking game of mahjohng on the phone. That would be a challenge to set up tho, cause of all the pieces and a tiny screen....

could do a whole setup for themes with like wall paper froma decade, screen savers, icons and whatnot to fit to that decade, and then take and have the sounds and ringtones be hits from that decade or year, maybe even make a plan out of that itself where like each month you get a new ringtone with another hit form that decade and more stuff catered to it.... kinda like fruit of the month, but with gidgets for the phone..

i create my own ringtones. i create my own wallpaper. so does every other tech-savvy person. check out all the freaks at howardforums, do you think they're gonna pay 1.99 for crazy frog ringtones?

i'm not exactly sure how "mobile content providers" even survive.

then again, there are a lot of marks in the world.

i actually tried to ask these sort of question once, but the respond wans' so well for me,

perhaps RSS feeds on SF? not so sure if thats beend one already, one thing i always thought would be fun is say, i walk down the street and saw dave chappell and we recorded a cell phone greeting like "shit nigga this is so and so.....leave a message bitch.....skid skid skid...." in that sense, maybe you coluld provide folks with choice of celebrity voice greeting? for the hip and aware indivisual they might not be interesting, but however there is a large amount of american is obecess with celebrities...

sorry thats the only 2 i could think off as now.

how did u get ur job anyway , sounds kind of interesting

and with the advent of mp3 phones, and mp3 ringtones, i dont see why the market for ringtones would continue growing.. i just use mp3s as ringtones on mind and they sound muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh better

forget ringtones, go into other things, like sell maps that are readable on phones (although current phones that wouldnt be much use), i always thought a gps nav system on a phone would be perfect, especiallyin foreign cities...........

i think letting ppl read blogs on the go is a terrific idea, the internet has been overwhelmed by them, so an RRS feed of hypebeast would def. do well..

they get updated daily, and when ppl are gone from a comp for long, they're feinding for an info fix

Right, but as I pointed out to artificialsky, that is illegal. People think that because they own an mp3 they have the rights to make it into a ringtone, they don't. Synching an mp3 to a phone's ringer is the same sort of idea as having a PC game and thinking it is okay to burn it to play on an Xbox; while it may seem harmless to the consumer, it is illegal nonetheless.

i'm not sure in your position at jamster if you're involved in day-to-day copyright issues... but i'm curious: why doesn't fair use apply here? media portability is being increasingly supported legally, and transferring purchased property (in this case, a legally obtained mp3) from one device to another for a non-commercial purpose doesn't strike me as offensive to the copyright holder in the least. think of the phone as a stereo which plays the song in response to a command (an incoming call or text, for instance)... could you maybe explain to me the grounds upon which this is (has it really?) been termed 'illegal?' your explanation to artificialsky doesn't really explore the issue in any depth.

Think of it as you paid X amount for said mp3, then your phone rings in public, while someone else may have paid forthe mp3, not everyone there has, and they are listening to the mp3 without having paid X amount. I'm sure that's how the companies see this.

no offense, keri, but that's absolutely ridiculous. am i not allowed to bring a boombox to a park? do i need to hermetically seal my doors and windows when playing records so passersby don't steal music with their ears? what about my boomin' car system?

eng: thanks for the response! it honestly strikes me as a situation where the legality is currently being defined by the TOS of online music stores and/or the implied licensing agreement between music publishers and the CD purchaser... if/when the issue is tested in a court of law however (pretty doubtful), i doubt that position would hold. record companies, wireless service providers, and third parties like jamster, will no doubt continue to make it difficult for purchasers of musical content to use that music in the (non-commercial) context they see fit, and the consumer will continue developing workarounds because they view locking music to a particular device as unreasonable...

good tips on internships and such

on my phone, i can just set any mp3 as a ringtone, so thus im not really doing anything to "covert it" per say..

with so many people using mp3s as ringtones, dont u think the ringtone business protion of mobile content will continue to dry up?

but then again, alot of ppl use itunes, when they can get all that music for free