Levi Going "Green"/Organic

Shorty Long

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. They will also be using natural indigo.

Chicken for their LVC line unless the originals were dyed in that manor why would Levis dye their LVCs like that?

Shorty I thought Paul said the fall line up would be available in the US.

Fuck organic ....I for one applaud any major corporation that trys to do something to help protect the environment.

Miz- thx for posting a link to my site.

Chicken- thx!

For those who don't want to fuck organic- I was just at the Turkish Fashion Fabric show and met some of the innovative Turkish mills that make denim. Apparently at least one is launching 100% organic cotton denim (with organic natural indigo of coz) in the next few months with other mills following suit. From what I can see the Turks are very much at the forefront of innovative denim. The only complaint is that despite their mid-to-premium positioning most (all??) of them don't offer selvedge/vintage style weaves that we love so much. That's from walking/asking around.

Also: Cone is offering at least 11 styles of organic cotton for the summer '07 season.

I'm sure they are just jumping on the green band wagon. A new way to market themselves but if the end result is they are putting less pollutants into the environment then thats good whatever the motivating factor.

I think some of the really early Levis were dyed naturally so the 1886, 1890, 1901 so the LVCs copying those would probably be accurate if they were dyed natural. But allot of these other companies aren't doing it right either as far as accuracy goes. If you've ever seen a real pair of 40s or 50s Levis or ever even earlier they weren't as heavy as some or as slubby as some are doing now. Makes me wonder if this heavy, slubby thing is just a fashion fad and will look as odd as acid wash from the 80s does in 15 years.

Probably just another way to market in a more green fashion(pardon the pun). But the dying process from what I understand is a little more environment friendly, less toxic and the cotton is probably grown without harmful insecticides or it couldn't be classified as an natural. Gotta give'm a little credit for trying to help whatever the real reason.

Probably just another way to market in a more green fashion(pardon the pun). But the dying process from what I understand is a little more environment friendly, less toxic and the cotton is probably grown without harmful insecticides or it couldn't be classified as an natural. Gotta give'm a little credit for trying to help whatever the real reason.

i actually appreciate companies going more eco-friendly whatver the motivation behind it is, because i think the result is better. glad companies like ford are doing the same. but aside from that, i'd like to see levi's start pushing the envelope in perfecting the perfect denim, instead of just producing cheap imitations. hope this is their step towards it.

Interesting. They will also be using natural indigo.

Chicken for their LVC line unless the originals were dyed in that manor why would Levis dye their LVCs like that?

Shorty I thought Paul said the fall line up would be available in the US.

Fuck organic ....I for one applaud any major corporation that trys to do something to help protect the environment.

Unless something has changed...the 'global' LVC line has been completely separate from the pathetic US LVC line for 2 or 3 years now...I feel it's just a matter of time before it's nixed altogether here in the States.

I can (support and ) see them using organic cotton on all LVC jeans, but I think in order to stay true to authenticity they would need to limit the use of natural indigo to the earlier models (20s and before)

i actually appreciate companies going more eco-friendly whatver the motivation behind it is, because i think the result is better. glad companies like ford are doing the same. but aside from that, i'd like to see levi's start pushing the envelope in perfecting the perfect denim, instead of just producing cheap imitations. hope this is their step towards it.

Current methods for cultivating organic cotton and weaving/dyeing/finishing organic fabric makes organic fabric 2X+ the prx of their non-organic counter parts.

airfrogusmc knows the score, its just levi wanting to make more money from moving into an existing market, that said, for years smaller companys have been making organic from an ethical concern, and now the market for organic has grown, bigger players like levi wish to cash in, and levi have to go organic to do so ( obviously ) which is what the smaller companys want- organic farming etc... from an ethical p.o.v.

I dont think organic is allways better quality, this came up in a thread before, its the length of the fibres that make the cotton quality not the chemicals etc.

However, I suspect organic products cotton has been sourced more thoroughly because organic is not as easy to get as non organic, so in a rounderbout way organic MAY be better quality.