Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

A pair of 7 year old Santoni's I repainted recently from

img0168iq.jpg

to

6685821783_6f9432ef24_b.jpg

I already have enough brown shoes and needed an old pair to practice antiquing shoes before I tried it on new shoes I wanted to personalize.

PS.

I know there's a hole. its been patched from the inside. Doesn't matter; its all part of the shoe's life circle.

Edited by Crat

2 I believe

those medallion whites look brown to me lol. maybe its the flash

wgmds ur correct, and yea, its the lighting in my house. it's very much black, if you look at the second pic and keep telling urself that it's black you'll see it, that's what i did lol

finally completed. black chromexcel semidress. hope it ends well.

congrats wgmds; looking forward to seeing them

baldy, those white look great; i could have sworn those looked brown but comparing them to the pictures on Baker, the brown HH is a lot lighter.

I still havent figured out which pair should be my next boots; brown HH Whites SD or a pair of Julian 8" boots (both with medaillon cap toe). The Julian's are my favorites but cant figure out the sizing and they are (even) more expensive.

This seems like a good thread for this question. I just rediscovered these shoes after moving, having forgotten them and left them in a garage for over a year with salt caked on. They look salvageable for use with jeans, and I think the distress might actually end up kind of cool if I can get them reconditioned a bit.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to salvage them. I think they might look OK if I clean and oil them, for instance, instead of trying to polish them, just not sure what to use.

img1280vq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img1282ua.jpg

Ordered my custom WESCOS today!! I have been debating

Between those and lone wolf engineers. I went with wesco cause they seen more like a real work boot and the heritage of the company is pretty amazing.

I don't think I have ever been more excited for a pair of boots!

I got the boss western toe boot

black

brown double mid soles and stacked heel.

half vibram soles

brass buckles (I begged them on the phone to put roller buckles on,but they are pretty serious about keep that shit lock)ed in for japan only)

I paid for the rush fee, so I should have them in 4 to 6 weeks.

Will posts some pic as soon as they roll in.

I used to really dislike the Oxfords, due to the Vibram Christy sole, but Morse' pair does look amazing. The sole just wears too quickly for my liking.

just got my white's back from a resole. and been beating the shit out of my other ones.

did white's do the resole? either way, good stuff.

still trying to talk myself into a pair of viberg service boots. kinda wish I didn't have other financial responsibilities.

This seems like a good thread for this question. I just rediscovered these shoes after moving, having forgotten them and left them in a garage for over a year with salt caked on. They look salvageable for use with jeans, and I think the distress might actually end up kind of cool if I can get them reconditioned a bit.

I'm looking for some advice as to how to salvage them. I think they might look OK if I clean and oil them, for instance, instead of trying to polish them, just not sure what to use.

img1280vq.jpg

img1282ua.jpg

Just keep polishing those and they'll look fine. That style of shoes is meant to be polished and not oiled.

I used to really dislike the Oxfords, due to the Vibram Christy sole, but Morse' pair does look amazing. The sole just wears too quickly for my liking.

The sole wears way too quick, but I do that to every sole I own. Might go with a red, buck sole for next time, but I'll admit I'm a sucker for the wedge sole that few others like.

did white's do the resole? either way, good stuff.

yessir Layne, White's did the resole. $55 and $15 for shipping.

FUCK those boots are slaying me! I think they are hands down the best looking engineer along with Road Champs. I need to sit down and figure out how to order custom wesco's so they come out looking just like the narrow wescos.

I like Wedge Soles on oxfords, but I wish they were a tad darker. But they do get dirty quickly.

^^^

As many of the features on the Narrow Model are exclusive you will not be able to create an exact duplicate of the boot. To achieve something close you will need to select the option of black fire, #700 sole and black outsole stitching. You would then need to specially request a #MP1339 shoe last, no back pull loops and edges dyed brown. The special stitching, buckles and embossing are exclusive and will not be on the boots.

Wgmds, thanks for the info. :) I mostly needed to figure out the last, the sole, which black to go with and which toe option would result in the closet look to the narrow wesco. i know the buckles/ stitching/ embossing is not possible, i guess the shape is the most important part followed by the black leather choice. So you think black fire? I'm thinking that the heal needs to be 1/4 or 1/2 shorter as well. But as for the out sole stitching, it looks white to me. How did you know what last I should ask for? Do they have a side by side comparison of lasts on the wesco site?

i was looking into the same exact thing that you are looking into doing until i actually tried on a pair of wescos and realized that it wasn't for me. that text is just my copy and paste from someone at wesco who responded to my email, so that's all you need to know.

stitching is black on the welt, http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AOd0xgb8dYU/Tcq8HI1xbUI/AAAAAAAAEhE/nruOzoq7vuA/s1600/IMG_0541.JPG (thanks VEB blog)

Edited by wgmds

Don't forget to request the highliner heel, or the heel will be much lower. And you can get the buckles, but you have to provide them yourself. Order them from Takeshi Okuyama.

So you can get everything but the extra row of stitching and the older style logo, which isn't worth the extra money to me anyway.

I think the narrows have a longer instep strap as well and maybe a different heel height.

Our own marineabilly wrote up about this:

http://vintageengine...neer-boots.html and http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/2011/05/wesco-narrow-vs-patrol-toe-wesco.html

It is well worth reading and you can see what the customisable options are here:

http://www.bakershoe...tom-wesco-boss/

They're showing nickel roller buckles as an available option as well

You should be able to build a pair that's close for ~630

Much better than 1400 for the narrows

Edited by smittybat

do the narrow wesco's have single or double welt stitching, it's hard to tell from that picture? is that brown upper stitching on them? and yet another question, I should order them as Motor Patrol Toes, but that will lower the heal 1/2". But the highliner heal will then raise that heal correct? I thought the highliner heal was more like a cuban heal as far as it being curved, not much taller. Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the custom build world.

Edited by attackwithstones