Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I actually put orthotics in my shoes and we measured them around those. in the meantime, I just purchased a pair of the redwing gentlemen traveller and am trying to decide how I feel about those. They are a little narrow when the orthotics are put in.

Blake, how did the measurements change when you got fitted for the White's?

I figure that most boots are gonna be just as tough on the inside as they are on the outside, so thicker socks or inserts would be a must. I was happy to find that not only were the travellers the most comfortable boots i've ever tried on, but that they were probably more comfortable that any other shoe I own right now. (which is not saying much i guess)

Blake, how did the measurements change when you got fitted for the White's?

I figure that most boots are gonna be just as tough on the inside as they are on the outside, so thicker socks or inserts would be a must. I was happy to find that not only were the travellers the most comfortable boots i've ever tried on, but that they were probably more comfortable that any other shoe I own right now. (which is not saying much i guess)

sorry, I may have confused you. I am having a pair of wesco's made right now. Those they took the orthotic into account. when i called whites to ask about fitting and my orthotic, they said they cannot and do not do that because of their "special" arch.

Sorry Blake

I musta taken too much influence from the Red Wing/White's influence of this thread. :D

I'm especially disappointed in Chippewa, who used to be good back in the day my grandfather got me my first good boots and selvage denim when that's what they made. Keno, Oregon in the late 50's. He liked Chippewa back then, but I think he'd roll in his grave if he saw them now. Made in China with bad stitching, low QC all around, and a flat carboardish heel counter that bugged the @#$%^ out of my heels.

Funny you mention them. I saw an awesome looking pair on ebay. I think about American brands sometimes. It's a shame how most of what gets associated with quality is hardly found stateside anymore. I'm sure we used to have great denim mills, cobblers, and wool mills...but they all got shut down in favor of lower costs overseas. It's one of the reasons why I really want a good pair of boots now. It's one of the few quality products still produced here in-house.

My Wesco Jobmasters seem to fit my flat narrow feet pretty good. I have to admit, the first week was brutal to wear, but I layed on a ton of bee's oil and by the 3rd week they were softening up quite nice. I think Wesco leans more towards the work boot / motorcycle / boot fetish / crowd, but I still think that its a well made boot. White's is has more shoe like qualities. Happy hooligan that posted some real nice brown Boss's earlier on this thread.

I think Chippewa still makes some things here that are nice like my engineer boots. Not Wesco quality, but decent for the price. I would say it's a notch below Red Wing but only a slim one.

here are my Snipe shoe (leather interior and exterior)....one of my favorite pair ....because is free...anyway...i have them since middle school...about 8 to 9 years. :)

preshine

DSCN6505a.jpg

after clean with saddle soap ( the saddle soap is so strong that it removes alot of the previous shoe cream )

DSCN6517a.jpg

post shine

DSCN6521a.jpg

DSCN6522a.jpg

I love tht sole - old skool for sure! Good luck on your boot hunt!

those boots are now sold under the LL Bean brand, but still made in Chippewas factories.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=katahdin-iron-works-engineer-boots&categoryId=49464&parentCategory=503393&cat4=503383&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=503383-sub2

Id really like a pair, but they only comes in D.

Thanks a lot for those detailed measurements Greg.

RE desert and chukka.

Apparently Clarks invented the desert boot in the 50's inspired by the markets of Cairo.

Chukka boots came later in the 60's and were derived from desert boots or polo players boots. I think really a desert boot is suede with a crepe sole. A chukka I guess is anything with that chukka shape/style.

Greg, have you seen the C & J chukka type boots? the Tetbury is poined and the chepstow rounded toed, both are very nice indeed.

I just got back from my trip up to the English shoe making mecca. and I thought I'd share the experience if anyone is interested.

First stop was Churches factory shop, they had a wide selection of the custom grade shoes reduced from $280 upwards to £175 and thereabouts. Plenty of sizes and styles available and you can call ahead and find out if they have exactly what you want. No purchase for me here though, I had other fish to fry....

Second stop on the other side of town was Crockett & Jones. Stock was a little more sparse, but prices low. I tried a Coniston boot in black scotch grain which were £120 and they had some beautiful chukkas but unfortunately none in my size (8.5). My friend picked up a pair of tan wingtip derby shoes for £90 that had a retail price of £360! They had a wider selection in smaller and larger sizes.

Final stop was Trickers. The factory shop is a lot smaller than the others and you tend to get more one to one old fashioned service which is nice. In fact today the usual chap was off sick so someone else came and opened up the shop especially for us. Fortunately they had exactly what I was looking for in my size. A Stow in burnished espresso on a double leather sole. Price was £95 but I think they are usually £150 now due to a price increase. We were probably lucky as the replacement guy may not have known this and charged the old price.

They also had some superb desert boots which I would have bought had I not just bought some clarks a couple of weeks ago, and some lovely chukkas.

Well worth the trip up. C & J is only open friday afternoon and saturday morning.

Wow, that sounds interesting, something I'd like to do sometime.

I love tht sole - old skool for sure! Good luck on your boot hunt!
oh man, 25 bucks seem like a nice deal for a pair of those.

well some lucky bidder has them now.

Thanks for the L.L. Bean link. I wonder if the El Paso factory has the same quality standards though.

Hey Chicken. What size did you get in the Whites? Any chance of some pics of the Whites being worn?

i got mine in 8D with ankles adjusted for my chicken feet.

sorry, no pics yet because they're on their way to get yet more customized.

hopefully, new pics up within a week.

Weird story to share. Have no idea where to put it so here will do.

Headed up to town this afternoon to do a bit of shopping ... I wanted to buy a scarf I'd seen and try on a pair of Redwings so I could order them online with confidence.

Went straight to Liberty to buy the scarf and found it was gone, but saw a YMC cable knit thing that I liked but not enough to shell out what they wanted for it, so I left. I Headed to Covent garden to try the Redwings on and dropped into Another store to ask about denim tailoring. While I was doing that I saw the YMC scarf on the rack for exactly half the price Liberty wanted, so I picked it up. I'm paying for the scarf and the guy serving me asks me what size I am in Redwings. I tell him and he says he's got one pair left in stock that are my size and he wants to shift them. I laugh and ask him what model and he tells me and they're the exact pair I came out with the intention of trying on .. tan leather 877's ... I don't give it away and say yeah I'll try them on, may as well have a look etc, go downstairs, do so, and he gives them to me for a third of the price of what I would have paid online.

Gotta love days like this.

I was wondering if anyone had a pic of the redwings with the crepe sole when they have been worn for a while. I just bought the 6 in oil brian slick and the sole is SO white. I was wondering if it mellowed when it got dirty. I have not seen any pictures yet.

I was wondering if anyone had a pic of the redwings with the crepe sole when they have been worn for a while. I just bought the 6 in oil brian slick and the sole is SO white. I was wondering if it mellowed when it got dirty. I have not seen any pictures yet.

Here's what happens with denim stains:

rw.blueheel.gif

Greg, have you seen the C & J chukka type boots? the Tetbury is poined and the chepstow rounded toed, both are very nice indeed.

Yes, c& j are my current favorite, even more than the Alden cap-toe cordovan chukkas. Here's why, and more comfortable than a sneaker!

shoes.cj.gif

cons.69.gif

cons.front.gif

cons.back.gif

Weird story to share. Have no idea where to put it so here will do.

Headed up to town this afternoon to do a bit of shopping ... I wanted to buy a scarf I'd seen and try on a pair of Redwings so I could order them online with confidence.

Went straight to Liberty to buy the scarf and found it was gone, but saw a YMC cable knit thing that I liked but not enough to shell out what they wanted for it, so I left. I Headed to Covent garden to try the Redwings on and dropped into Another store to ask about denim tailoring. While I was doing that I saw the YMC scarf on the rack for exactly half the price Liberty wanted, so I picked it up. I'm paying for the scarf and the guy serving me asks me what size I am in Redwings. I tell him and he says he's got one pair left in stock that are my size and he wants to shift them. I laugh and ask him what model and he tells me and they're the exact pair I came out with the intention of trying on .. tan leather 877's ... I don't give it away and say yeah I'll try them on, may as well have a look etc, go downstairs, do so, and he gives them to me for a third of the price of what I would have paid online.

Gotta love days like this.

wish everyday was like this.

Yes, c& j are my current favorite, even more than the Alden cap-toe cordovan chukkas. Here's why, and more comfortable than a sneaker!

Those are the Conistons, right? I've been considering a pair of those. At the same time, I'm torn with the idea of an Edward Green Galway in mahogany country calf. But EG is just so crazy $$$. Particularly to wear as a beater.

Take a look halfway down the page:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/edward-green-shoes-true-heart-true-friend-to-the-dandy

Yes they are Conistons. I likes the black so much I got the brown. They are higher and a bit more rugged than the Edward Greens, but EG has more prestige I think because of the Oxfords in their line and the superb Shannons, which I will get some day. But I really prefer the cap-toe and wider fit on the C&J Conistons. When I wear the brown ones with one of my A-2 jackets, people comment on how good it looks together.

pam.aaf.jacket.jpg

My Wesco Jobmasters seem to fit my flat narrow feet pretty good. I have to admit, the first week was brutal to wear, but I layed on a ton of bee's oil and by the 3rd week they were softening up quite nice. I think Wesco leans more towards the work boot / motorcycle / boot fetish / crowd, but I still think that its a well made boot. White's is has more shoe like qualities. Happy hooligan that posted some real nice brown Boss's earlier on this thread.

I think Chippewa still makes some things here that are nice like my engineer boots. Not Wesco quality, but decent for the price. I would say it's a notch below Red Wing but only a slim one.

I know what you mean about brutal. The skin on my shins was worn raw for the first week, but I did the boots in the bathtub and it really helped.

Wescos are for more the motorcycle Lineman type work boot crowd. Takes forever to have made but well worth it. I'm glad I had them made. I find I wear my 405's much more than my boss though... Just lighter I guess.... did you post pics of your wescos yet?