Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Corcorans! I have these:

l.corcorans.gif

But I'm into browns these days and am toying with this idea. What do you all think if I got some brown Corcorans like this:

images%5C19252.jpg

And shortened them to 10-hole boots, so they would look more like work boots like these '34 style ones. What do you think of that?

wards.left.gif

Thanks denimdad,

I understand what you are aiming at. Would you say "the Alden is half the size of a white's semi dress" or something comparable.

No, I wouldn't say the Aldens are half the size of the Whites. I'm holding both right now and the leather on the Whites isn't that much thicker/heavier. What makes the Whites look "bigger" is the design and chunkier sole. The Alden is sleeker with a less pronounced sole.

But I'm into browns these days and am toying with this idea. What do you all think if I got some brown Corcorans like this:

images%5C19252.jpg

And shortened them to 10-hole boots, so they would look more like work boots like these '34 style ones. What do you think of that?

So you want to take the wwii brown jump boots and make them into work boots? Interesting... The jump boots run about 100+ what would it cost to cut them down? At least you already have the proper sole... I'd say go for it. Should look pretty close, except for the ankle support strap...

So making them a 10 hole boot would be losing 2 holes? And they are 10 inches high now so you'd only chop off about an inch? would it be possible to chop more off, say make them an 8 hole boot?

edit: Black ones look nice by the way.

i'm with fre$co, i think 8 hole would be cooler. two-hole difference doesn't seem like much.

it should be a relatively easy operation, especially without a pull tab on the back. for example, white's could shorten their boots in two-inch increments when you order.

i'm with fre$co, i think 8 hole would be cooler. two-hole difference doesn't seem like much.

it should be a relatively easy operation, especially without a pull tab on the back. for example, white's could shorten their boots in two-inch increments when you order.

It's not the hole numbers I'm after, it's the height. I was looking at the 1934 picture, and I see that it also depends on how close the eyelets are together. Also it will depend on where the height comes in relation to the existing eyelets and also the height of the collar. The Corcs are 10" with 12 sets of eyelets. White's Smoke Jumpers come 8" and 10" eyelets stock. Wesco also makes 6". I don't know the hole counts for these lower heights... Incidentally I went to B. Nelson today to get some shoes stretched, and they were 90% sure they can replicate the collar after the boot gets cut down.....

On the Real McCoys - what does the sole look like? I would first try the originals, because they are the originals. They even still use the Munson last, which was in place in WWII. But after that, it's like Samurai:LVC :: Real McCoy:Corcoran

Here's my Red Wings I've been wearing a lot since I got them off ebay (I think I paid around $15) in the fall. Pic after washing and conditioning with Lexol. Wish they had more contrast in the leather, can I do anything to achieve that?

redwing.jpg

Before I changed over to the new AF uniform I was thinking about getting those jump boots. I went and tried them on and they had to be the most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn.

I had these for 5 years and absolutely destroyed them. Not my picture since I threw mine out a couple months ago.

cor15211.jpg

Unfortunately, chris changed his pics, but he did a DIY job on a pair of boots that's something like you're saying, Greg. It's here if you're interested in reading about it.

90% is a pretty good percentage to me. I'd put a bet down if I were 90% sure of an outcome.

Criminey! My computer goes all wonky for a couple of days and I come back to 5 new pages of posts.

Greg - good looking boots.

Bill - Do you have any pictures of the single leather smokejumpers from the side? I'm still considering a different sole on mine.

I'm also sort of in love with these whites from the cheri site.

hunter_northwest_side.jpg

It's not the hole numbers I'm after, it's the height. I was looking at the 1934 picture, and I see that it also depends on how close the eyelets are together. Also it will depend on where the height comes in relation to the existing eyelets and also the height of the collar. The Corcs are 10" with 12 sets of eyelets. White's Smoke Jumpers come 8" and 10" eyelets stock. Wesco also makes 6". I don't know the hole counts for these lower heights... Incidentally I went to B. Nelson today to get some shoes stretched, and they were 90% sure they can replicate the collar after the boot gets cut down.....

i personally prefer 5 or 6 inch heights myself now. easy enough to put the boots on and off, but still good looking enough, too.

get ready to spend some money greg....

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/200136profile.JPG

they carry EE width.

Yes, I've known about these for several years, and am a pretty big fan of WWII I for their Navy chambray shirts. But for footwear, I like to try stuff on first. Sizing and comfort are always an issue for me (I have 3 shoes at the stretcher now). I always like to hear reviews first if I can't try them on. There are several well-stocked Corcoran vendors here in NYC, so I know how they fit. For example, some folks I trust told me about the real-world-sizing on Lone Wolf, so I'm confident about ordering them. Also, I get skeptical when WWII Impressions says about the shoes, "They are comfortable enough to wear every day as testified by our customers." This sounds like damnation by faint praise. But I just might try them one day anyway. They look good!

Actually, my whim changed in the last day. I'm thinking of some 8" Jobmasters, custom ordered if I have to. I'm going to call around to the Leather Man and some other places for E and EE before doing a custom one...

I have been looking for a wingtip brogue boot in black for the longest time. Not only have I been unsuccessful searching in my area (Atlanta) but I have not been able to locate the style of boot in a US site; if located theyre all UK and mostly brown in color. The closest thing (and I would buy them if I could find them) I have found to what Im looking for is here: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/georges2/625/ (George Cox). Ive also found an Alfred Sargent Grasmere boot (http://www.theshopforshoes.com/acatalog/Dealer_Boots.html) but it only comes in copper there. Lastly among many others I found this one: http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/john_fluevog_brogue_boot_womens.html which is more of a casual boot but Im just trying to cover all the bases to give everyone an idea of what Im looking for.

Preferences:

1. Rubber/Vibram/Air Cushion Sole

2. Black (shine) leather

3. More rounded toe, less pointed

4. Inexpensive (ha ha yeah right)

So anyways, thanks to all who read and all willing to help. I look forward to any suggestions you may or may not have.

Ryan

Atlanta

Preferences:

1. Rubber/Vibram/Air Cushion Sole

2. Black (shine) leather

3. More rounded toe, less pointed

4. Inexpensive (ha ha yeah right)

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_Wing_Tip_Boot_206.htm

This perfectly meets requirements 1-3.