Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Can we please get stay on topic? :mad: This thread has been very clean. Let's please keep it that way.

err q.. err what woukld happen to the leather if i flame the threads?

Not much if anything will happen to the leather. You aren't going to be trying to char the thing...

Seriously rnrswitch, I don't know what your problem is with Edmond and quite frankly I don't care, but I'm getting bored of you constantly shitting up this and other threads with your bitching. Keep it in pm if you want to have a fight.

In other news, for replacement indy laces in the UK, there is a brand called shoestring that have a waxed brown boot lace that are a little thicker than the Alden ones, these are very good.

Fresco with a dollar sign in it... how clever. Oh I get it. You like money.

Does that mean, like fresh money? Even has a bit of a spanish tint to it.

On another note I get rather sick of Edmond "shitting" up a thread. I get a lot of pos rep when I point out edmond being a chump. My problem with Edmond is that he is turning denim/workwear simply into a collecting/hording movement and it gets quite annoying listening to him pretend to be an authority on denim or shoes simply because he blows a lot of money on the shit. I think most people on this board know that Edmund does not know what he is talking about most of the time. It is apparent that Edmund lacks an authentic appreciation for denim and/or workwear and he will be hording different crap in a years time anyways.

I would stick to your PM idea, but apparently you don't even agree with it since you didn't mind "shitting" up this thread with a response to me rather than PMing me.

Back to boots... huh? I am still dreaming of shell cordovan indy's in cigar or #8.

Anyone able to confirm that the waiting list for whiskey cordovan from Alden is indeed something like 5 years, currently?

I'm not sure it is completely accurate to say that the waiting list is 5 years. Occasionally, there are shoes in whiskey that show up in stores. I think that for some shoes, the waiting list is very long at the NYC Alden store. I'm not sure it is 5 years, but rather that nobody knows when the orders will get fulfilled. The strange part is that I know that there are other smaller makers that are able to get whiskey shell, but maybe Alden can't get it in the quantities they desire.

Of course, Tom would probably know a lot better than any of the rest of us what the story is.

I don't much care for the indy in shell. I know, I know, that is heretical of me to say around these parts, but still...

Now what I do like is the AF53 at Alden Carmel, but I'd like to see it in either cigar or whiskey. And a while back Tom was showing a calfskin boot which he tagged as a copy of a vintage model worn by Navy seamen. The burnished walnut model was boss.

salaami: i do agree with you that edmond is cool and helpful, a lot of time he does bring some new shit for us to look at, he even send me some of his boot's pic and answer alot of my questions thru pm.

kyotousa: i assume you are the winner when you call him a loser, so would you post some of your " winner " shoes for all of us to look at which would bring this thread back on topic too. I believe alot of us would be very interested to see some new pics here. By the way, it should help you back to green when people rep you

Anyone able to confirm that the waiting list for whiskey cordovan from Alden is indeed something like 5 years, currently?

Something like that. I've been waiting almost 3 years now for an order of Ravello chukkas.

I'm not sure it is completely accurate to say that the waiting list is 5 years. Occasionally, there are shoes in whiskey that show up in stores. I think that for some shoes, the waiting list is very long at the NYC Alden store. I'm not sure it is 5 years, but rather that nobody knows when the orders will get fulfilled. The strange part is that I know that there are other smaller makers that are able to get whiskey shell, but maybe Alden can't get it in the quantities they desire.

Of course, Tom would probably know a lot better than any of the rest of us what the story is.

Pretty true. From a store's standpoint...You want 6 pairs of Euro shoes in whiskey shell, probably can find it. Want 24 pairs of Alden makeups in whiskey, not gonna happen for a while.

I don't much care for the indy in shell. I know, I know, that is heretical of me to say around these parts, but still...

Now what I do like is the AF53 at Alden Carmel, but I'd like to see it in either cigar or whiskey. And a while back Tom was showing a calfskin boot which he tagged as a copy of a vintage model worn by Navy seamen. The burnished walnut model was boss.

Ha, Navy High Boots...kind of flopped. I still actually have some small sizes in stock.

By the way, if you want Alden whiskey or cigar, call up Cathy at the Alden Shop in DC. Tell her Tom sent you. They have some loafers, wing tips, and plain toes right now. No boots though so don't waste your time asking.

By the way, if you want Alden whiskey or cigar, call up Cathy at the Alden Shop in DC. Tell her Tom sent you. They have some loafers, wing tips, and plain toes right now. No boots though so don't waste your time asking.

No boots is the unfortunate bit, Tom! Plain captoe boot in whiskey is probably my dream pair of Aldens.

well don't leave it at that, info sir!

The boots are about 10 days old and costed me about 200 bucks and a 6 months wait. Went to the local shoemaker sometime in Jan to make a pair of boots that pays homage to the classic work boot.

You get to pick a skin (mine was one of the last from an old tannery), a last, do a couple of fittings and all the bells and whistles you want. Although sometimes you won't get everything you want, as shoemakers can be artists in their own right.

I don't think its better made than some of the more expensive boots out there, but you get to support a dying art and the long wait means you'll put off buying more shoes.

How is the construction? Are they goodyear welted? They look to be lined. They look nice enough and $200 is cheap, not very workboot like though I must say. We need more detailed pictures!

There is an artisan shoemaker literally round the corner from my office and a scruffy neighbourhood here in London. The guy is greek cypriot and I have been into his shop a couple of times.

Unfortunately each time I ask for something he tries to rip me off, like charging $140 for some ordinary shoe trees (not bespoke). Furthermore, my tailor who is on the same street had a pair of shoes made and said they were not really good.

It's a shame because I would have liked to give him my business.

Here's some more pictures.

imgp0306ap8.jpg

Yea, it was supposed to be more workboot-like, but I didn't get the brass grommets on the eyelets that I asked for. I assume they can be added on at some later date, plus I had grommets cut into the leather tongue on shoes before, so I'm not too anxious.

imgp0300in2.jpg

Here's a closer look at the stitching and the leather. I believe it is blake stitched, sadly, hopefully it can be easily resoled. The construction is pretty good for the price, I believe it is better constructed than most mass market brands at its price and also, it fits better. The lining is calf skin too.

I guess sometimes the romantic image of the artisan slaving away to perfect your shoes can be quite different in reality. I had a pair of "bespoke" shoes which were pretty horrible.

I'm hoping you guys can advise...

These shoes were well on the way to 'looking better with age' when I spilt some vinegrette on them earlier today. Tried cleaning it off with a little bit of hand soap but it seems to have left a stain. Is there anything you can suggest to get rid?

2v9exxs.jpg

Here's a pic of the unstained shoe

245zqd1.jpg

A question for Tom or anyone else: In shell cordovan, seems to be that #8 color is readily available, but not whiskey and cigar, or ravello, as Tom pointed out. Is this because #8 just doesn't move (I have shell chukkas in #8 which I love), or is there another reason, something to do with production, perhaps?

A question for Tom or anyone else: In shell cordovan, seems to be that #8 color is readily available, but not whiskey and cigar, or ravello, as Tom pointed out. Is this because #8 just doesn't move (I have shell chukkas in #8 which I love), or is there another reason, something to do with production, perhaps?

My understanding is that Cordovan leather takes dye very unevenly and can cause colors to look blotchy... Accordingly, the darkest colors, being #8 and black are the easiest to acheive passable results on the average shell. It takes nearly flawless shells to dye them lighter colors, like Whiskey or Ravello, and with the current shortage of skins...yadda...yadda...yadda