Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Nope, i'm working to keep the price at about $350 on these...

If they'll be avaialble w/o zippers, I'd be interested. They look like they might fit better than my GTs, which are really too narrow, even after stretching at B. Nelson. I'm thinking of selling them.....

Thought NYers might be interested. From today's UrbanDaddy (yes, I know, it's a terrible name) email.

No matter the economy's direction, a gentleman knows that certain things are always a prudent investment. Perhaps chief among these: a superlative pair of dress shoes.

Of the same mind is Leffot, a high-end men's shoe boutique opening today where a Christopher Street toy store used to be (no, not that kind of toy store). This store has a formidable purpose—it aims to be your one-stop shop for some of the world's best men's shoes, side by side, all in one place and at your disposal.

Owner Steven Taffel offers a knowledgeable but unpretentious approach to some very serious gear. He's hand-picked just over a half-dozen of the world's best shoemakers and assembled their work on a solid ash table in the center of the dark, stylish store—so you have the rare opportunity to hold an Edward Green in one hand and a Pierre Corthay in the other, and compare a Church's English with an Artioli (trust us, that's a good thing). Even better, Leffot offers shoes available for the first time on this side of the Atlantic from acclaimed makers Aubercy and Gaziano & Girling.

And if none of the above is special enough for you, you can work with Steven to create your own customized pair (come on, you know you want to).

After all, economic cycles come and go, but you only have one pair of feet.

Leffot, 10 Christopher St (between Gay St and Greenwich Ave), 212-989-4577

If they'll be avaialble w/o zippers, I'd be interested. They look like they might fit better than my GTs, which are really too narrow, even after stretching at B. Nelson. I'm thinking of selling them.....

They'll definitely be available without zippers.. and will be about $15 to $25 less in cost.

Some shots of the finished models from Patina and Wild Child.

patina_01.jpg

patina_02.jpg

patina_03.jpg

patina_04.jpg

patina_05.jpg

patina_06.jpg

patina_07.jpg

to be honest judging by your photos...

I do like the wingtips and the cap toes very much.

I do not like the zippered boot, or the black ones with the white bottoms. The zippered one is just wrong. The point of a zipper is to make the book easier to put on, but when it's only 5" tall what's the point? And the Black ones are way to bent upwards. They look clownish.

Because I'm sure you'd rather have an honest answer than just they all look great...

Am i the only one who thinks it looks like Patina / Wild Child just copied the boots who seems to be popular in this thread like the RW Gt, Whites Semi dress and Alden wing tip boot?

I hope this doesnt offend the makers, i do think the boots look (except the zipper) good, i would just prefer buying the original.

Here is a better pic of the boots with the toe curl in context to a full body photograph…

waywt_iran.jpg

Am i the only one who thinks it looks like Patina / Wild Child just copied the boots who seems to be popular in this thread like the RW Gt, Whites Semi dress and Alden wing tip boot?

I hope this doesnt offend the makers, i do think the boots look (except the zipper) good, i would just prefer buying the original.

I suppose it's about remaking or retooling favorites to make them uniformly a consistent quality—that is not to say that the quality is lacking from other makers. Plus, you'll be able to customize to add or create what you fancy with the given choices, if not more.

Though, I agree on your point to a certain degree.

I have to admit I did think the same thing, but then there are not a tonne of classic boot styles either. So IDK. Either way, there are subtle differences, maybe quality differences, and other things that would make one preferable over the other I am sure.

EDIT: Looks like Sid beet me too it, and maybe said it better.

Hopefully someone can provide helpful suggestions...

I notice something attacked my Tricker's Burford boot. I'm not sure how it happened but I looked down and I had a srape going down the side of the shoe with a large gash. I took it to my cobbler but he said the leather was poorly dyed and there wasn't anything he can do. He tried polishing it but the polish wouldn't set in. He was surprised a quality shoe was so poorly dyed.

Do you think I could take some tester's enamel paint to it? There has to be a solution...

monday003-4.jpg

well, something similar like that happens to my redwing(brown) one time. For me it was on the toe, and your is on the side. What i did was to use the (FINEST) sand paper and (SLOWLY) smooth out the scratch. Then apply shoe cream and polish it. It works for my redwing.

I wont recomment you to paint it with enamel paint. Dont do it.

Agreed, do not paint your shoes!

Those selfedge boots look decent.

Although I am going to agree to some extent that they look like a bit of an homage. The wingtip looks a little out of place among the other heavy looking workboots.

I too don't like the zipper and also I think the heel on that one cheapens the look a little. I prefer a heel to be layers of leather with the rubber layer on last, rather than the redwing GT style of a thick rubber heel. Idon't know if this is historically more authentic or not though.

I do like the natural welt on the curved sole one. This is a thing of beauty. And the cap toe looks very nice.

Are these samples that are likely to evolve or final models Kiya? Good luck with them and keep us up to date with info.

Also, do you have any background info on the shoemaker?

for 350 id rather get me some custom white's semi dress.. custom somke j's even wesco's .. lonewolf boots and real mccoy boots.. more expensive but man theyre original.. im sorry quality seems nice but would you buy shoe's or jeans from samurai?

patina_01.jpg

I really like this boot but , and this may be a stupid question, but why are these leather soles white(ish). (assuming they are leather) Any way to have them also in dark brown or brown? (like Alden , etc)

Some shots of the finished models from Patina and Wild Child.

patina_04.jpg

I'd be interested in this one. What widths do they come in?? I agree with some others about the homage and lineage of these boots. Work boots don't need zippers if they are not over-the-calf. And even then, it's rare. Zippers on real work boots compromise the integrity of the boot. The little advantage you get in speed would not be worth the diminished water resistance and diminished support you get for the foot. There are lace-in zipper closures for military boots, but the folks who wear them tend to get laughed at.

Granted these comments come from a lifelong boot fan, an ex-military guy who's been wearing some kind of boot about 360 days a year for decades.

Nevertheless, if your boot's last fits my wide foot better than the Red Wing GT's, then I'm totally willing to give them a try. I'm like an E or EE. Who makes these boots, anyone we might know??

patina_01.jpg

I really like this boot but , and this may be a stupid question, but why are these leather soles white(ish). (assuming they are leather) Any way to have them also in dark brown or brown? (like Alden , etc)

It's un-dyed leather. It can be dyed brown or finished any colour.

I notice something attacked my Tricker's Burford boot. I'm not sure how it happened but I looked down and I had a srape going down the side of the shoe with a large gash. I took it to my cobbler but he said the leather was poorly dyed and there wasn't anything he can do. He tried polishing it but the polish wouldn't set in. He was surprised a quality shoe was so poorly dyed.

Find some boot creme like Propert's or Meltonian in that same shade. Get a cotton handkerchief, wrap it tightly around your index finger and rub that creme into the area. Boot creme has more dye, less wax. Brush it over, apply again, brush, etc. Then apply light brown Kiwi all around, brush, buff with a nylon stocking.

Failing that, take to a better cobbler, or send to B. Nelson in NYC, who specialize in repairs like that - even Allen Edmonds sends their shoes to B. Nelson for surface repairs like that.

It's un-dyed leather. It can be dyed brown or finished any colour.

those undyed sole looks really unique. I really like the sole too. I think i saw some similar undyed sole on some whites semi dress too, from some website. :)

those undyed sole looks really unique. I really like the sole too. I think i saw some similar undyed sole on some whites semi dress too, from some website. :)

The undied soles are great, just what I'd want, and an authentic historical touch. The edges will take polish and look just right! That's what happens with the undied welts on the Indies and the undied sole edges on the GTs.

Do you think I could take some tester's enamel paint to it? There has to be a solution...

looks like other people's solutions are similar to mine. i take a nylon brush and scuff the area up (in essence sanding it down.) then, i'd tightly wrap a cloth around my index finger and rub some cream in the correct color around the area. let it dry for about five minutes, then tightly wrap a cloth around my index finger, but this time apply some polish. finish it all off with horse hair brush.

otherwise, i think you could consider getting the leather re-finished, but i've never tried this before myself.

C&J Skye in action.

It is such a nice day here, perfect for their first outing.

2471295058_dc52d1c453.jpg

2471295266_b15e25bca9.jpg

The colour is a bit darker in real life. These are perfectly comfortable straight away. Although I did have to go up a half size compared to my usual.

to be honest judging by your photos...

I do like the wingtips and the cap toes very much.

I do not like the zippered boot, or the black ones with the white bottoms. The zippered one is just wrong. The point of a zipper is to make the book easier to put on, but when it's only 5" tall what's the point? And the Black ones are way to bent upwards. They look clownish.

Because I'm sure you'd rather have an honest answer than just they all look great...

The Cap Toes look like the White's Semi Dress but with a cap toe.

The zippered boots would look much better without the zipper, so it's good that's an option. I've worn combat boots almost everyday for the last 8 years and i've never used a zipper. It's just another thing that could bust out and break. Why create a stress point? It's tough getting into my White's because of the rough out leather so I bought a shoe horn and it took care of that problem.

Good on you though for creating a one stop shop in your store though. Now customers can find everything they need to outfit their lifestyle.

edit: How long before (person) asks fre$co what jeans he's wearing?