Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

wait, leicalad, did you say the fan-indy is $355??? do you mean the shell cordovan indy, or is the fan indy the one with the brown leather and commando sole?

btw, that picture of the local shoe repair spot is awesome. you are in a completely different world, man.

ALSO, considering all the trickers that have been recently posted, i realize now that i am going to wait to make my first brogues a genuine pair of trickers. no one does wingtips like trickers, i'm convinced.

wait, leicalad, did you say the fan-indy is $355??? do you mean the shell cordovan indy, or is the fan indy the one with the brown leather and commando sole?

btw, that picture of the local shoe repair spot is awesome. you are in a completely different world, man.

ALSO, considering all the trickers that have been recently posted, i realize now that i am going to wait to make my first brogues a genuine pair of trickers. no one does wingtips like trickers, i'm convinced.

Ah, perhaps it is better to refer to them as the AF64 and AF68. My shorthand is to call the AF64 (brown, oiled leather w/Vibram) the Fan-Indy, and the AF68 the Cordo-Indy.

There are shoe guys all around, including boys with shine boxes. That one was tucked in a dank corner. The guys that specialize in the polish are lined up along alley ways. I'm going to have a pair of the open heeled sandals that are practically national wear made for me. They did not appeal to me at first, but are growing on me. I've a line on the guys that make the best versions for the 11th Frontier Corps officers. Photos eventually.

The Trickers ARE clunky, although they have sleeker models. Personally, the clunky feel appeals to me in certain ways. I would NOT really think of wearing them as dancing shoes. They are called Country shoes for a reason. But, don't Mokky's Maltons look great with denim?

Emailed Adam of Alden Carmel, and he assures me that i will have a pair when the first shipment comes in July-August...cannot wait!

Adam is one decidedly nice guy. He is strongly recommended. These Aldens are not cheap shoes in a crowd that usually reserves the big bucks for denim. BUT, if you're gonna do it, think first of Adam's line of Aldens.

I'm just sorry the AF64 heavy-duty Fan-Indy was out of stock in my size. Sigh...

This is not to diss the leathersole guys in Hawaii. They also have some fine choices. Still, Adam is clearly out front.

yeah the AF64 are $355. regular alden indy's are $250. so your paying about $100 more for the combat boot sole. Also the AF64 as well as all the Alden Fan shoes are made in limited runs for only one store in the world and that is Adam's store.

You can check his website and see what he gots. He's got pics of every Alden shoe he carry's along with its price. There is an insane looking tricker but its going for over $600.

Also every Alden shoe is hand made py real people down to stictching so that add's the the Alden's high price. You should read that little CNN article on Alden that someone posted here.

yeah the AF64 are $355. regular alden indy's are $250. so your paying about $100 more for the combat boot sole.

Hi Lion,

I don’t think that’s quite accurate. The Fan-Indy and the standard Indy are entirely different boots made in the similar style. The leather of the Fan-Indy is heavier, oil-treated and more water-repellant. The boot is fully leather-lined. The lugged Vibram sole is not a minor difference, either, as the Goodyear welt is complete rather than just partial. The Cordovan Indy is yet another entirely different boot merely constructed to a similar style. The price differences reflect the entire differences between the boots. Only the styles are similar.

The rest of your comments, of course, are quite accurate.

Airfrog, appreciate the link WWII Impressions. I saw the boots but no shoes. Believe me, I'm not looking to spend $400 at HP, but the Rickson service shoe is what I have in mind. And I want a plain toe- no cap, no wing. Between now and the Spring, maybe something will turn up.

On many of the styles Alden shows, the shoe/boot itself is fine, but then the stitching kills it for me. It's like they're screaming "Banker!", "Lawyer!". Just too traditional looking.

yeah the AF64 are $355. regular alden indy's are $250.

Where are you finding these for $250? Maybe a bit ago, but I've only seen 'em around the $290 range lately, sometimes $305.

And also, Airfrog, your Indys are, without a doubt, the most gorgeous shoes I've ever seen. $300 - and another six years - can't come quick enough.

Gee, Lion, no 'sorry' needed. You actually HAVE the Fan-Indy. I be jealous.

SO, now that you've had yours for all of, what?, 3 days, what can you say about the fit and feel? How do they size compared to your usual footfare? Did you get the only pair in 10E (he asked in envy)???

just got back from my almost daily visit to my old greek shoe guru. he put taps and a vibram sole on my black aldens.

anyways, i showed him the saddle leather wallet i got made for me in japan and i asked him if i should use saddle soap to clean it. he said that it would work but it's not recommended because it removes the tanning. he gave me a different cleaner that's actually gentle enough for suede called E-Z Cleaner made by Lincoln. I used it on my wallet and it took out most of the residual indigo that had stained it. he also gave me a leather balm made by tarrago which he said will help clean and condition the leather. the leather balm can be applied as much as you want.

he also sold me a great pair of cedar shoe trees. they were about $20 and they fit great. so, next time, when you need some shoe trees, get them at your local shoe repair place.

Emailed Adam of Alden Carmel, and he assures me that i will have a pair when the first shipment comes in July-August...cannot wait!

And these will be comin in Cigar color AF73!

af729jm6.jpg

WOW - definitely a gorgeous pair of boots. Any idea what the heel height is on these? Would you say around 1.25" ?

Airfrog, appreciate the link WWII Impressions. I saw the boots but no shoes. Believe me, I'm not looking to spend $400 at HP, but the Rickson service shoe is what I have in mind. And I want a plain toe- no cap, no wing. Between now and the Spring, maybe something will turn up.

On many of the styles Alden shows, the shoe/boot itself is fine, but then the stitching kills it for me. It's like they're screaming "Banker!", "Lawyer!". Just too traditional looking.

Yeah I'm not a big wing tip fan thats one reason I like the Indy. Classic look and looks great with an A-1 (pre WWII) flight and a pair of 1933 501s.

Goldengloves: What was/is your source for ordering these? (Price??)